Thread: How to make GIF's in Photoshop Cs3.

1. #1 How to make GIF's in Photoshop Cs3. 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Someone requested this, i cant remember who (sorry...) so here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by Me!
    The first step is to plan out on paper the general "story board" of your animation. Draw up some sample frames so you can get an idea of what you want to happen, how you want it to happen, and when it will happen.

For this guide I am going to make an animation of a bouncing beach ball. Very simple and quick.

First i need to make every frame of my animation on a different layer. Note that only objects that move need to be on a new layer. If you have a static background image, you only need that on one layer (the first one, of course). I found a picture of a beach that will work great:

Now that i have my background i am going to make my animation frames of my beach ball.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93...guide/Pic1.jpg

You will want to arrange your layers so that the first frame is at the bottom and the last frame is at the top of the list.

Once you have that all organized we can start the animation process. Go to Window->Animation to open the animation window.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93...guide/PIC2.jpg

Right now there is only one frame, so we are going to add more to the animation window we just opened up by hitting the Duplicate Frame button.

My animation is going to be only 10 frames.

Now we select the first frame. In this frame i want the ball to be at its peak, so i go to my Layers window and hide every frame except the Background and Frame 1.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93...guide/pic4.jpg

For the second frame i'll do the same:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93...guide/pic5.jpg

I'll keep doing this until i have all of my frames done and in order. Notice that i only have 6 animation frames. That is because on the ball's trip up i can reuse a frame from its trip down.

*Forgive me if my document looks a little different than before, Cs3 took a shit on me as i was adjusting frames and i had to start over.

After i had redone the whole process, i am left with this in my animation window:

We can now hit the Play button and see this in action!

You may find that it plays a little too fast or too slow. If its too slow, you will need to remove some frames. Take them out at specific intervals, dont just remove random ones. Remember, removing every other frame makes it twice as fast, removing
    every third frame makes it 3x as fast, and so on...

If it is a bit fast for you, we add a Delay. This makes the current frame stay on screen a bit longer. To slow down the entire animation you will need to select every frame. Select the first frame, hold shift, and select the last. They should all be "lit up" now. Under any frame, click the little arrow next to where it says "0 seconds".

Choose .1 seconds and see how the animation plays. 1/10 of a second makes a big difference:

(this might actually play at the same speed as the first one, photobucket played them both at the same speed, but they were made different. idk what the deal is.)

You can also adjust individual frame delays. I have no need for that in this gif, but if you have an image you want to move a little, then stop for a second or two, you would add a delay only to the frame where it stops moving. Tinker a bit and you will see what i mean.

I have decided on the .1 second delay, it is a bit choppier, but its speed looks better. Now we need to save this file as a gif. Go to File -> Save for Web and Devices. The default setting should be fine, just make sure it is set to GIF in this box:

Hit save and you are done!

Extra tips:
    **Saving the document as a PSD keeps all of your animation frames and everything. You can pick up right where you left off.
    **I is possible to edit someone else's Gif, the method is different depending on if you use Windows or OsX.
    For both OS's you need to go to File->Import->Video Frames to Layers. You cant select gif's by default, so in windows type "*.*" in the File Name box. This wont open every file, but it lets you see every file and open gifs. In OsX you need to convert the GIF to a MOV file. There are many ways to do this, find out on your own. :P
    Any questions, hit me up on AIM. My name is NoSmokingBandit
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker pokey8349's Avatar
    cool, nice guide man
    Quote Originally Posted by julie View Post
    i can only imagine you making halo references during sex lol

"oh god... the flood is coming... ahhhhhhh"
    NEW SITE-RECRUITING STAFF JOIN>> www.modifyurpsp.co.nr

Trust Unto God and He Shall Direct Your Path

Visit the site for free ISO's and movies! - http://cristgaming.com/pirate.swf

Member PSP User
    sweet =) thanks!

Nice thanks canada.
    I saw you tell someone how to do this in another thread and i was gonna ask you to make a guide. Think ill try this later on

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..
    [!]

i might make a guide regarding The Gimp. I hate that program so freaking much though. Once you touch Cs3 you never want to hear 'gimp' again, lol.
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP legendofaj's Avatar
    since ur on canada, i might as well thank u 4 making the guide, but ive got CS2, not 3.... sorry if i 4got 2 mention that when i requested the guide.
    Currently busy with summer stuff, semi-inactive till later

hope that helps, AJ

Cs2 is basically the same procedure, but once you have all the frames organized you need to save it as a PSD then open it in Imageready. From then on out its the same process.
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP legendofaj's Avatar
    thx Canada dude...
    Currently busy with summer stuff, semi-inactive till later

hope that helps, AJ