Thread: Field Commander

1. #1 Field Commander 
    Member PSP User finalfantasyxii's Avatar

Game Title : Field Commander
    Game Description : Field Commander is a turn-based strategy game that utilizes a lot of the same gameplay elements as the ever popular Advance Wars franchise. This game takes a futuristic look on a modern looking world, giving the game a unique style that tries to separate itself from other turn-based strategy games.
    Number Of Players : 1-2
    Genre : Turn-based Strategy
    Retail Price : $29.99
    Graphics : 7.0/10
    Sound : 7.5/10
    Controls : 8.0/10
    Gameplay : 8.5/10
    Overall : 8.0/10

The graphics aren’t very good in my opinion because the environments aren’t very detailed in the sense that they are quite flat. There might be the occasional rising and lower in the ground levels, but when I say flat I mean the ground is really smooth. There isn’t a whole lot jutting out from the ground, which makes the land look barren and some times dull. Also, the colours are usually muddy which makes it look more realisitic, but boring at the same time. The good thing is that it’s in 3-D, so it does give the world a bit more life than some other strategy games. Another good thing, sort of, is the weapon effects and explosions. But I think the seven I gave this section quite fitting and a solid score nonetheless.

The sound in this game, however, is really good. I really liked the music in this game. It had steady fast beats that fit the games style of war. It also had some voice acting that I won’t say is all that good, but not bad either. The sound effects are probably the worst thing in this games sound, but they don’t make you want to turn them off because they do belong. They even sound Star Wars-esque at times, but that could just be me. The music is the real shining area here.

The controls, I have to say are good for a turn-based strategy game with buttons. My only problem that I experienced was I got this game after I played hundreds of hours in Advance Wars: Dual Strike and the controls are a lot easier when you have touch, so I’m trying to not let that effect this score because of all the strategy games I’ve played that use buttons for controls, this is one of the best and is pretty easy to navigate. If you have ever played the GBA Advance Wars games, then I guess I can say they are about as good as those, which is quite good.

I have mixed feelings about the gameplay in this game. One of my favourite gaming series is the Advance Wars series and I can’t help but feel that the tried copying it too much. A lot of how this game plays and works (advantages in terrain and units etc.) is way too similar, but done worse. I still gave it a high score because I obviously love that type of gameplay, but it just doesn’t feel right. The game is still great for how it plays because it took from the right series if they took from any and it is a very in-depth game that requires deep thinking and intelligent plans to succeed. A nice feature that they added that the Advance Wars series has yet to do, is online play. It’s nice they tried it and when you find the right opponents, it’s a lot of fun, but a lot of the time the players don’t do anything for like 20 minutes so that you get bored and want to disconnect, therefore giving the opponent a win. It has it’s flaws, but it’s still good that they added it. Another gimmick I thought was a mode where you “e-mail” your moves to another player as if you were playing a game in a mailing like format. It’s really quite difficult to explain in words, but it’s pretty fun. This game has enough modes and little bits that can make any strategy fan satisfied.

Overall, I would recommend any Advance Wars game over this, but if you already have them or don’t have a GBA or DS then I would suggest you pick this up instantly if you are remotely interested or remotely like strategy games. Also, if you haven’t played the Advance Wars games before then you should certainly try this on because it’s easier than the Advance Wars game, thus making it good for the beginners. It’s also great for strategy fans and it is definitely the best strategy game on the PSP. Recommended.
    COMPLETE THE MEDIUM!

Wow...great review! I was thinking of writing one that would be one ore two paragraphs

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    Way to bump a year old thread. On your first post too. Good job buddy.

PS-good game

wow. sorry

Knights of War PSP Elite Hacker KoW210's Avatar
    Hey I wasn't really sure if I should get this game or not but now I am sure of it I'll get it.

Thanks for this man!

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    Thanks for the review, it's on my to-buy list
    PSN: Lasraik
    PC/Console Gamer Community Forum:
    http://www.perforateartery.com/forum