Thread: Another New Guy...

1. #1 Another New Guy... 
    Hey everyone.... Don't know if you guys read all the posts from the new guys, but anyway... I just bought my first PSP Today, and am waiting for it to get it's initial charge. I also Picked up a 2gig Memory card and Ratchet & Clank. I've read alot of the stickies and such, and understand that this is a modding forum, so I may be out of place here. I really only have one major question if anyone wants to answer, but before I upgrade my firmware (I was planning on just getting it the official site) what types of things will I NOT be able to do if I get Sony's 3.4 firmware. All I really want to do is be able to customize my wallpaper, put some music on it, and be able to watch some of my own burned movies via memory stick. (I watched a tutorial on this on youtube a few minutes ago.) Am I making a mistake, or is there really that much other stuff I can do with a psp?

I guess I just don't understand alot of the techno-babble that people use, so could someone just give me the short version of what kinds of stuff you guys are doing with the PSP that other people can't?

Thanks in Advance....
    the new guy.

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    if all u wanna do is watch ripped dvds and listen to music, then stick to sonys firmware. theres nothing youll really get out of custom firmware. however, if u wanna enjoy homemade programs and games, play emulators (older systems such as super nintendo and sega genesis), play playstation one games, and customize the xmb (psp's operating system) w/ new icons, fonts, and welcome screens, then install the custom firmware. sony will never offer you what custom firmware can. i mean... if u wanna play psx games on the psp, u need to buy a ps3 to do it sonys way. our way is free and you can play the games you already own. the choice is yours, but dont whine to us if you upgrade to the latest sony firmware and discover all the cool shit that custom firmware can handle
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker drizzle's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. You do not need to update to watch your backed up movies, listen to music and play most games. If you do update, you can can no longer downgrade your psp or install custom firmware. Julie listed most of the benifits (my favorite being the emulators ).
    Before you post please
    Read the sticky's Read the manual Use the search button Google it

Drizzle's so cool he sh*ts icecubes.

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    if u upgrade to sony 3.40 firmware, the psp will turn into a unstoppable killing machine bent on making your psp less fun. installing custom firmware deletes its violent programming and makes it more cuddly
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Thanks for the responses! That being said, i checked my firmware, and it's 2.71 or 73 I think. (Checked it last night). So what would be something that I should try being brand new to this? I'd also like to ask what are the easiest things I can do on my PSP without wrecking (bricking, I think you call it) my hardware? Any suggestions for a first timer like myself?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker drizzle's Avatar
    Make sure you research and know what you are doing before you do it :P

I suggest...
    Step 1: Find out if your motherboard is a TA-082 or not. There is a sticky in the hardware section that tells you how to determine what motherboard version you have.
    Step 2: Use the easy downgrader for your version of the motherboard. Although there is a chance of bricking, if you follow the directions (which are very easy) you should have no problems at all. You have a chance to brick your psp by updating with an official sony firmware and the downgraders are practically just as safe if used properly. (See the official downgrader thread in the firmware section).
    Step 3: After downgrading you will be at firmware 1.50. From here you can install a custom firmware. Depending on what you are more interrested in, customizing the look of the psp OS with custom boot images, fonts and icons (use 3.03 oe-c) or better psx compatiblity (use 3.40 oe-a), update to the appropriate custom firmware.
    Step 4: Get yourself some emulators and games and enjoy.

Note: Custom firmware has a restore feature that will allow you to basically unbrick a partially bricked psp meaning you can undo most damage done once you have a custom firmware or you can go back to 1.50 and update to the official sony firmware if your unhappy with the custom firmware.
    Before you post please
    Read the sticky's Read the manual Use the search button Google it

Drizzle's so cool he sh*ts icecubes.