Thread: Hey...I've got a brick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Hey...I've got a brick. 
    Hi, my username is NewAgeRetroNoobie.

Which is appropriate. I read all the "readme"s and took all the precautions, and even got down to where DarkAlex's program was doing its thing just fine.

But the PSP still bricked.

I need a lot of help, and considering I've spent $250, I really hope I can get some help.

Once again, hello...

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker alfox's Avatar
    ok now bro what is the situation here?what did you do that lead to bricking your psp?

All right, here's what happened:

1) I bought a PSP, 2.71 firmware, and an IC1003 Motherboard.
    2) I charged the PSP's battery all the way.
    3) Then, used the USB cord I bought to connect it to the PC.
    4) From there, I followed all the steps in the "Ultimate Downgrading" guide:
    "...DarkAlex's 2.71 Downgrader and Download Homebrew Enabler for FW 2.71 using the Link below.
    Follow the instructions in the readme file of Homebrew Enabler for 2.71 Rev.C to install HEN-C
    Once done, reboot your PSP and run the Homebrew Enabler using the Photo Menu.
    Now simply extract the files in the downgrader archive below to your PSP and paste the EBOOT.PBP file of the updater into the PSP/GAME/UPDATE folder.
    Now just run the updater using the Game menu!"
    5) Went to the game menu, and it said something like "Updater XY.Z" or something like that. It booted up, and in a DOS-like font, started rewriting the flash info after I pressed X agreeing that it MIGHT be bricked.
    6) After it had finished copying 100% of the files, it said it would reboot the PSP. I waited 10 minutes, but nothing happened.
    7) Reset the power. And it did just what it's doing now; being a brick.

Everything looked fine until the last minute. Ugh.

EDIT: I couldn't tell if HEN C was running or not. Looked like it was, I got the Blue then Green screens.

bro i think u did something wrong.before doing the xyz did you checked your psp to be running henD?did you checked it in the system information?coz before doing the xyz thing you need to have the henD running....anyways maybe you got low batt.try to remove the battery for awhile then return it try to turn it on again....

That's just the thing. It was HEN C, and I couldn't tell if it was running it or not.

The readme doesn't tell you how to check on something like that. I already did the installation with the Blue, then Green screens.

EDIT: And I've already removed the battery and tried again 4 times. It's not coming on, not in recovery mode, either. Is there maybe a modchip I can get online that might have all of this on it so I don't run the risk of this happening again?

I've got a site for an Undiluted Platinum modchip flagged down, but I want to see how much a Sony repair costs first, or if maybe I can do something with this one back at Gamestop.

if youll send it to sony then theyll install the newest version which is 3.40 or 3.30 which will make it imposible for you to downgrade coz as of now no downgrade available for those fw.....

Oh. Fun.

Fortunately, there's another 2.71 at the Gamestop, and I just got this one today, so I'll just straight up copy emulators and files to it before I try any downgrading and what not.

Also, murguichips made an auto-installer, so I'll use that rather than rely on my abilities.

BTW, what's a non-cf?

the hen i used came with a little "cube" app that wont work unless hen is running. what i did was got hen running then tried the cube game. if it works hen is running, if not then hen didnt run. hen is unstable so sometimes it takes a few tries to get it goin. if u have a ta-082 motherboard the undiluted platinum modchip wont work but there is now a ta-082 friendly modchip. i cant remember the name but if u google it im sure u can find it (ic1003 = ta-082 or higher)

BADASS NEW SLIPKNOT THEME BY ALFOX
    TA-082-SFW 2.71-2.80>1.50<3.03 OE-C<3.40 OE-A

Fortunately, I have an IC1003. But man, I can't afford anything else. I barely scraped up the $$$ for this first run.

I don't think I'd even try this again.

too bad bro.you should have asked question first before doing the actual process......well good luck on your decision....i really get sad when a member here gets a bricked psp...............well life goes on broooo....

Senior Member I Modded My PSP 808psp's Avatar
    read twice, downgrade once = no bricked psp. Sorry to hear about that.
    success comes one step at a time

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Couple of things.

1. You have a TA-082. You used the downgrader for the NON TA-082 board, and that's why you bricked. The TA-082 downgrader has a program called idstoragechange that you run BEFORE running the downgrader. Next time make sure you use the TA-082 downgrader. IC1003 on the board = TA-082 or HIGHER. I have one, used the TA-082 downgrader and it worked fine.

2. non-cf = Non Custom Firmware. That means you don't have any custom firmware installed.

3. Return the brick, switch it for the 2.71 at Gamestop, VERIFY that it is a TA-082 same as the one you have now (IC1003 on the board) then run the TA-082 downgrader. Make sure you read the instructions TO THE LETTER. It really isn't so hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast