Thread: Greetings, PSPMOD! Need help on getting started.

1. #1 Greetings, PSPMOD! Need help on getting started. 
    Junior Member PSP User
    First off, let me admit that I am extremely new to PSP-hacking and emulation, so I'm aware that I may seem like a complete noob. However, I've gained interest in this subject lately, yet I don't even know where to begin.

I am planning on buying a PSP in a few weeks (from Hong Kong), and there are a few things I would like to know before doing so:

1. Most importantly - I've heard it is possible to play PSOne games on a PSP using hacking and emulation. I know this may sound odd, but this is my main reason of interest in the PSP - there are so many PSOne games I'm dying to play again, yet for some reason my PS2 is unable to read any of them, neither burned nor even original NTSC and PAL types. I have the files for some of the games on my computer and I would just like to know what needs to be bought and prepared in order for this to work.

2. I'd like to know how burning games for the PSP works. Does the PSP only use UMDs? If so, how is it possible to burn games and movies to the PSP?

3. On that note, what needs to be done in order to burn PSP games as backup? Is image burning for the PSP the same as it is for the PS2?

Being completely new to this - and I know this may be a shock - I don't know what basic things, like 'firmware', 'downgrading' or 'homebrew', even mean. I've tried to look up some tutorials, but I could find none that could explain these terms coherently to a newbie. If I could be directed to a few basic tutorials, I'd be very appreciative.

This is all for now. I do hope this post doesn't irritate anyone (and, to be honest, after reading julie's "How NOT To Look Like A Noob" topic, it seems you guys are easily irritable :P), and I hope I'll be able to get some new information.

Thanks!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker lommer's Avatar
    welcome. a good start to begin to read my psp basics Q&A thread .

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneder
    First off, let me admit that I am extremely new to PSP-hacking and emulation, so I'm aware that I may seem like a complete noob. However, I've gained interest in this subject lately, yet I don't even know where to begin.

I am planning on buying a PSP in a few weeks (from Hong Kong), and there are a few things I would like to know before doing so:

1. Most importantly - I've heard it is possible to play PSOne games on a PSP using hacking and emulation. I know this may sound odd, but this is my main reason of interest in the PSP - there are so many PSOne games I'm dying to play again, yet for some reason my PS2 is unable to read any of them, neither burned nor even original NTSC and PAL types. I have the files for some of the games on my computer and I would just like to know what needs to be bought and prepared in order for this to work.

2. I'd like to know how burning games for the PSP works. Does the PSP only use UMDs? If so, how is it possible to burn games and movies to the PSP?

3. On that note, what needs to be done in order to burn PSP games as backup? Is image burning for the PSP the same as it is for the PS2?

Being completely new to this - and I know this may be a shock - I don't know what basic things, like 'firmware', 'downgrading' or 'homebrew', even mean. I've tried to look up some tutorials, but I could find none that could explain these terms coherently to a newbie. If I could be directed to a few basic tutorials, I'd be very appreciative.

This is all for now. I do hope this post doesn't irritate anyone (and, to be honest, after reading julie's "How NOT To Look Like A Noob" topic, it seems you guys are easily irritable :P), and I hope I'll be able to get some new information.

Thanks!

1. custom firmware. convert em to eboots first
    2. you rip the files from umd games into iso files and play them from the memory card
    3. same as above
    4. check the "psp hacking dictionary" i started today for some basic terms
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Junior Member PSP User
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I've read some basic tutorials and looked through many topics, and most of my questions have been answered.

However, there are still a few things I'd like to know:

1. In the Ultimate Emulator FAQ v1.4 topic, it is said that it was made possible to use homebrews on all firmwares without having to downgrade (second post, Fanjita). Is this true? If so, is an original copy of GTA:LCS still necessary?

2. I Googled some information regarding a PSP chip, and found this: http://www.console.se/psp/pspchip/pspchipup.html. Is this necessary/recommended, or just a waste of money?

3. Seeing as roms need to be played via the memory card, is it true that it would not be possible to play a 2.8GB game (such as Final Fantasy IX - each disc is 700 MB, if I remember correctly) without having a 3GB or 4GB memory card?

4. How smoothly do emulators work? Is it possible to play SNES/GBA/PSOne games with perfect framerate and sound?

That's all for now. Thanks in advance!

Senior Member I Modded My PSP wanna_b_a_spore_modder's Avatar
    welcome to the forums!!! and am i the 1st to say it? really? i feel so honored!....hold on let me soak it all in....Use The Search Bar..."That Felt Great To Say!"

Junior Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by wanna_b_a_spore_modder
    welcome to the forums!!! and am i the 1st to say it? really? i feel so honored!....hold on let me soak it all in....Use The Search Bar..."That Felt Great To Say!"
    While I have always found sarcastic and condescending replies to be rather irritating and unnecessary, I will reply and say that, the main reason why I'm still asking questions is that I want to be a hundred percent sure regarding all aspects of hacking and emulation before I make the purchase. I don't want to buy GTA (which I don't even like) for downgrading when it isn't necessary, or not buy it, thinking it's no longer needed. It is a big purchase, which I will spend a good amount of my last paycheck for, and I would not like to take any risks simply for misinterpreting.

Thank you.

Junior Member PSP User
    I apologize for the double post (I hate it myself), but I would really to have these 4 last questions answered, as I am planning on buying a PSP on Friday and would really like to make sure I won't be surprised or disappointed.

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneder
    1. In the Ultimate Emulator FAQ v1.4 topic, it is said that it was made possible to use homebrews on all firmwares without having to downgrade (second post, Fanjita). Is this true? If so, is an original copy of GTA:LCS still necessary?

that topic is old and outdated.. you cant play homebrew on anything over 2.80 firmware

2. I Googled some information regarding a PSP chip, and found this: http://www.console.se/psp/pspchip/pspchipup.html. Is this necessary/recommended, or just a waste of money?

only if you develop your own programs. otherwise, custom firmware is all you need

3. Seeing as roms need to be played via the memory card, is it true that it would not be possible to play a 2.8GB game (such as Final Fantasy IX - each disc is 700 MB, if I remember correctly) without having a 3GB or 4GB memory card?

you need a memory stick as big as the eboot youre playing, so a 4gb is required for a game of that size

4. How smoothly do emulators work? Is it possible to play SNES/GBA/PSOne games with perfect framerate and sound?

nes runs great, atari runs great, snes is a lil slower buy theres a new version coming out soon, gba runs good i think, and the psone emulator runs at full speed, since its a hacked version of sonys own psx emulator
    answered your questions
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Junior Member PSP User
    Thanks for the help Julie, you've been tremendously helpful.

One last thing, though - do all PSPs sell as the same firmware, or are there several versions that can be bought? If so, which firmware and/or motherboard would you recommend for safest and easiest downgrading and hacking? I fear of buying 3.03 and having to buy GTA to downgrade. Judging by this:

"2.81: Update To 3.03 To Downgrade
    2.82: Update To 3.03 To Downgrade
    3.00: Update To 3.03 To Downgrade
    3.01: Update To 3.03 To Downgrade
    3.02: Update To 3.03 To Downgrade
    3.03: NOOBz Downgrader (See Below)
    3.10: No Downgrader At This Time
    3.11: No Downgrader At This Time
    3.30: No Downgrader At This Time
    3.40: No Downgrader At This Time"

I assume it's best to buy a PSP with a firmware older than 2.81?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker drizzle's Avatar
    Its best to get a psp with 2.71 firmware or lower. You can downgrade 2.71 without GTA. The motherboard does not matter so much anymore as you can downgrade all models as long as the firmware is low enough. I'd suggest getting a used psp but make sure you check the firmware by starting up the psp first (gamestop will let you do this). If you want a new psp, check this thread to tell how to determine the version from the box.
    Before you post please
    Read the sticky's Read the manual Use the search button Google it

Drizzle's so cool he sh*ts icecubes.

Junior Member PSP User
    Thanks a lot for the help, drizzle! I think I now understand pretty much everything. Let's see:

In order to play PSOne games on my PSP, I need to buy a PSP with firmware 2.71 or lower (represented by letters A-K on the sticker at the back of the box, excluding G and J). Afterwards, I need to downgrade my firmware to 1.5, and then upgrade it to Dark Alex's custom firmware, which will then enable me to play PSOne games on my PSP using custom programs and tutorials (eboots). My PSP will be able to play all types of files from all regions (including PAL, NTSC and NTSC-J). In order to play PSP games from my memory card, I do not need to make an eboot like in PSOne games, I just need to put the ISO in my memory card. The same goes with movies and music.

Did I get everything right? Anything else I need to bear in mind?

Edit: fixed some typos.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker drizzle's Avatar
    Thats pretty much all you need to know to get started. Its Dark Alex's custom firmware and not firewall though
    Before you post please
    Read the sticky's Read the manual Use the search button Google it

Drizzle's so cool he sh*ts icecubes.

Junior Member PSP User
    Eek! That's what I meant! :P