Thread: I got PWND by ebay, can you help?

1. #1 I got PWND by ebay, can you help? 
    Hello Everyone.
    So anyways to make a long story short in a hurry I ordered my PSP used off ebay, to save $60 I paid somethign like $190 at the time. It was supposed to be the value pack but was missing the case and everything else but the charger and a data cable.

- But the worst part is that the previous owner had obviously dropped the thing. There is a crack in the part teh lanward slips into, in fact they shipped it with the lanyard attached through the crack (rather than looped through itself) and then proceded to tell me it must have been damaged in shipping.

- The UMD Door also does not close flush it sticks out a little more on the left side than the right, but it does close all the way.

- One of the Buttons is also a little sticky, sometimes it does not pop back out and gets me killed. It's not really bad so I think if I were to clean it up it would work fine.

- the top center of the screen has a light spot (only noticable on dark backgrounds) Not sure if this is from the factory or was due to the drop, it's not very noticable durring gameplay unless the screen is black. So I can let this slide...

Anyways I lost the dispute because I was in turkey while fighting it (Yes Turkey) and did not have internet to continue it. (This all happened last summer and I have been too buisy to use the thing since I returned (Psp was not hackable back then due to updated firmware )

Well Good news is everything works fine is it's mostly cosmetic stuff other than the button sticking. But I'm hoping I can somehow replace this silver center piece that is broken as it bothers me? Can anyone direct me here?

I flashed it to 3.30-OE-A but 3.40-OE-A came out the next day so I'm still using this one for now as it seems to do everything I need, but might upgrade later.

Thanks for Reading!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker drizzle's Avatar
    You can purchase replacement parts if it bothers you that much. Try sites like www.llama.com or www.xboxrepairguide.com (yeah, an xbox site that sells psp parts, go figure). You could also purchase a bricked psp on ebay and swap parts around. This would let you switch screens too if the light spot bothers you enough. You'd also have extra parts if you needed them in the future. Its not gonna be super cheap though, and it will require you to do some taking apart and re-assembly.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forums.
    Before you post please
    Read the sticky's Read the manual Use the search button Google it

Drizzle's so cool he sh*ts icecubes.

Welcome friend.
    I always ask for photographs when buying used hardware ( on ebay on everywhere else for that matter). And insured shipping, if a seller is unwilling to provide either, forget it. I'll take my business elseware.

Just my 2 cents

But I'm glad you got it working! Enjoy it..
    The path I've walked:
    2.81 --> 3.03 --> 1.5 --> 3.40OE-A

Well it looks like I can get a bricked PSP for like around $50 shipped or less in excelent condition. So not too bad. But I have to wonder, would it be easier to just swap the boards with a bricked unit (would probably be easier than changing everything else)? I have some electrical skills so long as it isn't too hard. I figure it might be a bit difficult for an average person, but I would still be down so long as it does not require SMT soldering :P

Also what kind of paint would work well on the center plastic piece? I would like to have an all black PSP (Krylon Fusion?)

I remember there was a generic complete PSP plastic replacement kit going around for like $25, but I never heard about what the quality was. Considering the majority of aftermarket buttons and faces were not up to par I held off on ordering it. It did include the center piece though.

I visited www.llama.com before I made the origional post, seems the complete disassembly guide is not working anymore...

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker drizzle's Avatar
    Switching to board would probably be the easiest solution. It shouldn't be too bad, just make sure you track which screws go where. You shouldn't have to solder unless you break a connection
    Before you post please
    Read the sticky's Read the manual Use the search button Google it

Drizzle's so cool he sh*ts icecubes.

another option would be to get something like this right?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-PSP-SWITCH-...QQcmdZViewItem
    That would replace the craked piece, and I could clean the button when I take it apart, the UMD door would still be slightly crooked (more open on left hand side (opposite side of latch) than the right but it's functional and working. Or would I be better off buyng a regular bricked unit and jsut swapping the boards? Time is money for me so I'd prefer to do it the easier way even it if costs a bit more...

On the bright side I guess I could practice taking it apart on the broken unit first

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    as i see it, you have a excellent chance to mod the hell out of the psp. sure, the guy burned you, but theres nothing else you can do if you lost the case on ebay
    R.I.P Zoidberg

I agree, I'm pretty over being burned at this point, just want to make the best out of it then I will enjoy the PSP more... It was still worth having on the trip to Turkey it took us over 24 hours to get there so it provided alot of entertainment.

I bid on a bricked Unit, hopefully the transaction will be smoother this time. All I would really like to add to the PSP woudl be to make it all flat black, but I'll settle with just the inside piece as I heard the flatblack faceplate just wears smooth anyways. it would be nice if the buttons had backlighting for playing in the dark, but I don't plan to get that extensive either :P A nice restored unit and I will be happy.