Thread: OMG!! another noob :P

1. #1 OMG!! another noob :P 
    hey,
    i'm a noob to the PSP world. i bought the silver one in the kit with Daxter and the Family Guy Freakin' Sweet collection.

I bought Burnout Legends and Brain Quiz as well.

I want to learn more about modding so i can get to the point of playing games from my memory stick, which i just bought an 8g stick

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Country's Avatar
    Congratulations on your purchase, you have aquired yourself a psp slim and lite

Heres the downside, in order to do anything fun on your psp, which means to play games off of your memory card,you need to downgrade your slim and run custom firmware

How?

Well first things first, you need a friend who has an original phat psp, running custom firmware, not sony's original but a firmware that can play emulators

Why?
    In order to downgrade your psp you need to make a pandora battery and slim magic memory stick using your friends psp, this will allow your psp slim to load files from the magic memory card.

Once you've done this, then you'd be able to enjoy all the homebrew life....anything that is compatible on the slim that is.

Basically the Slim was designed to try to stop homebrew, as most homebrew runs off the 1.5 kernal ( which was the original 1.5 firmware that sony came out with) the slim cannot run anything with a 1.5 kernal, which means there are alot of applications that will need to be ported.

I have a psp slim and lite myself, and I'm a little dissappointed, lucky I still have my original so thats the one I take around and play with. If I were you, I'd stash my slim up somewhere, go to a pawn shop and find an original psp, do your research and learn how to either downgrade that, or mod it. Then take your time learning how to install emulators and other homebrew from that. Then tackle the slim, and hopefully by then, there will be something out that will make life easy and you would be able to play anything on the slim at that point.

For the most part, using the search feature on this site and learn one thing at a time, one step at a time and Pretty much any question you ask has already been answered somewhere on this site, odds are if you look hard enough you'll find the answer without having to ask
    Last edited by Country; 10-10-2007 at 09:59 AM.

thanks for the welcome. i have been doing some searches for themes and how to use them. i guess i'll have to either get a phat psp or use my buddies. his is already mod'd. i dont know the extent of the mods he got done, but i know it was done. so i'll have a chat with him :P

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Hey, welcome to the site. Once you have custom firmware installed, just make a folder in the root of your memory stick and call it "ISO", and put your iso games in there. Happy modding

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..
    [!]

Senior Member I Modded My PSP demonwing's Avatar
    welcome to the forum...

btw where did you find an 8 gig card?

Member PSP User
    Hey welcome im also a "newb" but im learning... btw search button is god

hey, welcome to the modding scene. Its alot easier than it seems, but its alot to take in right away. Kudos on the 8gb stick, that should keep you happy for a while. I have around 30 games, ripped and compressed to cso, and they are only 6.16 gb combined. So yeah, 8gb should do it lol.
    Very funny....not.

Quote Originally Posted by demonwing View Post
    welcome to the forum...

btw where did you find an 8 gig card?
    Ebay = my second home

So to install the custom FW i have to find someone with a regular psp(why exactly) and make a pandora batter/magic memory card (still not sure on that one) and then i can downgrade to 3.52 thus enabling me to play games from my memory card (which are in the ISO folder) ?

i'll get it sooner or later :P
    Last edited by cmollet; 10-11-2007 at 05:20 AM.

you need someone with a modded psp to make the battery because the battery making program wont run on a normal psp. The memory card has a bunch of files on it that are kind of like a system restore disk but for the psp.
    You have a slim, so there is no downgrading, but you go right to custom firmware (cfw). You start the psp with the Pandora battery and it will install the cfw off of the memory stick. Thats about it.
    I assume you'll need more detailed explanations when you get to the acutal installing process, but thats what the community is here for
    Very funny....not.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    you need someone with a modded psp to make the battery because the battery making program wont run on a normal psp. The memory card has a bunch of files on it that are kind of like a system restore disk but for the psp.
    You have a slim, so there is no downgrading, but you go right to custom firmware (cfw). You start the psp with the Pandora battery and it will install the cfw off of the memory stick. Thats about it.
    I assume you'll need more detailed explanations when you get to the acutal installing process, but thats what the community is here for
    well that makes alot more sense now. i understand a little more. so i need to get a pandora battery before i even do anything else? i'll start looking around for one. anyone recommend a good one that is relatively easy to aquire (ie. not shipped from the states) and somehwat easy on the wallet? (i have no idea of the price yet, i'll search for it :P)

thanks for the help so far, dont stop doin it!

If you know someone with a modded psp they can make it for you. There is a guide somewhere around here that teaches you how to do it (sorry im too lazy to find it right now). Im not sure exactly how the process works for the slim psp seeing as i dont have one, but im pretty sure all you need to buy is a battery for the fat psp and have it modded. Your normal battery may work, but quite honestly i dont know. At most you will spend the equivalent of $15usd on a battery.
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    Slim batteries will not work, you will need to use a "fat" battery.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Country's Avatar
    Not only a fat battery but an original battery that is made in china, japan batteries won't work, pandora proof

Senior Member I Modded My PSP xayofoolx's Avatar
    Nice to meet you!!!

Senior Member I Modded My PSP dj_chunk's Avatar
    bro welcome to the site hope u find it as usefull as i have
    id like to thank the following people for helping me out even when they must think im a total retarded muppet but hey look at what iv managed to do lol many thanks go to....

Pirate-M.Lifnen, the begginer, Major Zero, HALOBOY, Got rice?, stef_o36, Alfox, mime, julie

3.40>3.50>lumines>1.50>3.40oe-a>3.51M33-1>1.50>3.40oe-a>3.52M33-2>1.50>3.40oe-a>3.52M33-4