Thread: Hey guys!. I am getting ready to buy my first psp

1. #1 Hey guys!. I am getting ready to buy my first psp 
    Member PSP User
    hey i have not bought my psp yet, but was wondering what you all would suggest. Would it be better to buy a new PSP from let's say Wal-mart so that if i happen to brick it i can simply return it with no questions asked, or would it be smarter to just buy a 1.5 firmware psp from ebay directly.

On ebay the 1.5 PSPs that are pretty much new say this. Would this be a problem?
    NOTE: This firmware cannot be upgraded beyond 3.5, so please be aware of that when considering purchasing this item!

I would like to say thanks in advance to anyone that helps me out. I am very intrigued by all the things the psp can apparently do.

Since it apparently matters, my friend has a modded psp and he was telling me about it, so i decided it would be good to invest in it.

I am still a little clueless of the pandora battery, since it says you are recommended to have a friend with a modded psp does that mean him having a modded psp from using the pandora battery or just any modded psp in general?

I found this on Amazon
    $119.99
    + $3.99 shipping

Used - Like New
    Comments: this unit is like new and is running firmware 1.50 everything is included PSP SYSTEM BATTERY AC ADAPTER AC POWER CORD MANUAL AND THE ORIGINAL BOX
    Anyone think something like this would be good? Again any help would be grand. Thanks!

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Daxmaurier's Avatar
    WEll, im still pretty new to the modding world, but the psp on amazon seems to be pretty good.
    Having it already at FW 1.50 will make putting the CFW on abit easier as you will not have to downgrade.
    AS far as the pandora's battery is concerned, it would be a good idea to either buy one or make one (once you have a modded psp), as it can un-brick the system should you run into any problems.
    PSP History
    V 2.81 -> Pandora -> 3.71 m33-2 -> 3.90 M33-3

"Maybe... if you spend your life worrying... then the only way that your life will have meaning is if what you fear becomes real."

Member PSP User
    would it be good to buy a cheap psp battery for the pandora, will it be unusable? Should i simply buy a new Regular Sony PSP battery?

Also, would it be wiser to buy the slim now or the fat, since my friend has a modded psp that is and i'm told i need that to do some things.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Daxmaurier's Avatar
    For the battery, im not to sure. User the search option on here and look for the Pandora battery, ya should be able to find what ya need.
    Also, if you get the Slim, I beleive you will have yto use the 3.71 CWF, which from what I have heard is pretty glitchy right now.
    If you get the phat psp, you will be able to use the 3.52 m33-4 which is really good and simple as hell to use
    PSP History
    V 2.81 -> Pandora -> 3.71 m33-2 -> 3.90 M33-3

"Maybe... if you spend your life worrying... then the only way that your life will have meaning is if what you fear becomes real."

Junior Member PSP User SONYPSP0009's Avatar
    3.71 m33-2 is not glitchy its great I use it on the phat tho on the slim its not as great since there is no 1.5 kernel and the battery I would strongly recommend a sony battery ( not the new model ) cuz the cheaper brands dont work or most of them dont

Member PSP User
    when you say not the new model, what exactly do you mean by that.
    Is there a number sku i should be looking for? any help is appreciated.

Member PSP User
    Would this be the right memory stick to get?

$19.95 + $7.49 Shipping

And as for the psp the price is
    $124.99
    + $3.99shipping
    Great condition, used rarely, Comes with AC adaptor, USB cable, 1GB Memory Stick Duo and Tomb Raider Legend game in its case.
    Firmware is 3.40 which I've left as is because I know people want to downgrade. The mobo is IC9001 so it is fully capable

Would that be easy to downgrade for homebrew, roms, etc?

And as for the second battery, Would this one work?
    $9.99 +$3.00 shipping
    Last edited by Quiksmage; 10-12-2007 at 12:22 AM. Reason: for clarification

Senior Member I Modded My PSP demonwing's Avatar
    wow your a really good shopper...those are what you need and they are great deals. I wish I had found the set of items when I bought mine

by "new model" battery they mean the ones that come with the slims(because they are thinner). These have a slightly different structure and more security which results in them dieing if you try to pandora them. The battery you listed is
    the right one, however.

Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by demonwing View Post
    wow your a really good shopper...those are what you need and they are great deals. I wish I had found the set of items when I bought mine

by "new model" battery they mean the ones that come with the slims(because they are thinner). These have a slightly different structure and more security which results in them dieing if you try to pandora them. The battery you listed is
    the right one, however.
    oh no! the psp was sold while i was waiting for a reply =( oh well.

edit:nevermind apparently it only shows 5 listings and hides the others, and the one i was looking at became hidden hehe. So the psp firmware and motherboard number are all good right?
    Last edited by Quiksmage; 10-12-2007 at 12:56 AM.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP demonwing's Avatar
    yeah everything is right. This is about as good a package/deal as your gonna get. Also because it's under 3.52 you dont even need a pandora battery to get it homebrew capable you can just use a downgrader.

Member PSP User
    apparently someone bought it 10 minutes before i attempted to =(.

Oh well now i found a nearly new 1.5 psp. It has the original box, cords, etc and i bought myself a 2 gig stick. Since it's 1.5 i do not need to buy a second battery correct?

Member PSP User
    I have one more question, if i upgrade to the custom firmwares it is possible to go back to 1.5 correct? And i ahve one more question. Let's say i wanted to run psx ported games, n64, gba, etc would i need more than one firmware? If so, would i have to install new firmware each time i wanted to run something the other firmware doesn't? I'm still a little confused on the mass variety of firmware available.