Thread: New here, a few questions!

1. #1 New here, a few questions! 
    Hi to everyone!

Well I've been reading and watching videos on PSP's, they sound fun, but a few things that concern me:

Storage space: can you only use the sony memory stick duo cards? Can I use my USB 2gig thumb drive?

Does the 802.11b wifi work with all other types of routers? (802.11g and n)

Storage space would seem like a big problem, if I want to download several games, say I want 4 games on my psp, thats about 3gigs of space. Plus if I want maybe some music and videos, we're talking 4+ gigs.

I mostly want the psp for games and wifi, it seems like a memory cards are going to cost me more then the psp and carrying them around wont be fun?

Internet: is the PSP browser pretty secure? say I goto a site and it trys to give me a trojan or something? Does flash animation work? what about watching a video on a site that uses windows media player?

Where is the PSP OS stored? Does the PSP have a hard drive that just has the PSP operating system on it thats not accessible?

Is a PSP slim ok to get for modding the software and doing stuff on, or do people prefer the original.

Thanks for any help.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Hi to everyone!

Well I've been reading and watching videos on PSP's, they sound fun, but a few things that concern me:

Storage space: can you only use the sony memory stick duo cards? Can I use my USB 2gig thumb drive?

Does the 802.11b wifi work with all other types of routers? (802.11g and n)

Storage space would seem like a big problem, if I want to download several games, say I want 4 games on my psp, thats about 3gigs of space. Plus if I want maybe some music and videos, we're talking 4+ gigs.

I mostly want the psp for games and wifi, it seems like a memory cards are going to cost me more then the psp and carrying them around wont be fun?

Internet: is the PSP browser pretty secure? say I goto a site and it trys to give me a trojan or something? Does flash animation work? what about watching a video on a site that uses windows media player?

Where is the PSP OS stored? Does the PSP have a hard drive that just has the PSP operating system on it thats not accessible?

Is a PSP slim ok to get for modding the software and doing stuff on, or do people prefer the original.

Thanks for any help.
    1. No, only MSPD cards.
    2. Yes
    3. Don't download your games, we don't support piracy, plus each game is not always a gig, it depends.
    4. You can get an 8gig, they are small so it's not a big thing
    5. I guess it's secure, Most viruses aren't coded to work on a psp... Flash works, it's on flash 5, and no videos will not run on the browser.
    6. The psp "os" is stored on an internal flash memory, unaccessible unless on custom firmware.
    7. Slim can be modded, but it's up to you to chose, I prefer a "fat" psp.

Thanks for the fast reply.

The thing that catches my eye on the PSP most is the wifi, games on it are plus because I'm a big gamer, I play PC games though.

Socom online sounds really fun. Online play is free correct? You don't need a membership with sony or something? How is online play anyway, is there a lot of lag? I would guess the servers would have to be hosted by sony?

BTW, i cant use a 128mb SD card I have from my digital camera correct?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Thanks for the fast reply.

The thing that catches my eye on the PSP most is the wifi, games on it are plus because I'm a big gamer, I play PC games though.

Socom online sounds really fun. Online play is free correct? You don't need a membership with sony or something? How is online play anyway, is there a lot of lag? I would guess the servers would have to be hosted by sony?

BTW, i cant use a 128mb SD card I have from my digital camera correct?
    Online is free, though I don't play a lot of it so I cannot tell you how it is.

No, a SD card will not work. It needs to be a MSPD (memory stick pro duo) card.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Brock_Samson's Avatar
    Expect plenty of kids using hacks cause they're noobs. New released FPS games tend to have a good 1-2 week buffer before the kids start using.

Go get yourself a 4GB PDuo for $40-50 off the net or retailer, do not purchase from ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by WarAuthority View Post
    Expect plenty of kids using hacks cause they're noobs. New released FPS games tend to have a good 1-2 week buffer before the kids start using.

Go get yourself a 4GB PDuo for $40-50 off the net or retailer, do not purchase from ebay.
    yeah I was thinking a 4gb card might be better since a 8gb is more then double price. How are they using hacks? Is hacking a big problem, is there any anti-cheat?

♥ man ass PSP Elite Hacker carp's Avatar
    to play online u need Xlink kai on ur computer. otherwise games are only ad-hoc.
    I'm a fag.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker dejaynizmo's Avatar
    some games have built in online play you dont have to use xlink all the time
    1st = 3.40 - 3.51 - Return to Wal-Mart
    2nd = 3.40 - Friend Breaks Nub - Retun to Wal-Mart
    3rd = 3.40 - 3.50 - 1.50 - 3.40 OE-C - 3.03 OE - 3.52 M33 - 3.52 M33-2 - 3.52 M33-3 - 3.52 M33-4 - BRICKED - UNBRICKED! - 3.52 M33-4

(\/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny.
    Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

is there a personal organizer i can get on the psp?