Thread: Yo Yo, Jimbo here, many questions...

1. #1 Yo Yo, Jimbo here, many questions... 
    Hey Everyone,

What a great resource and forum you guys have here. I'm a pretty savvy computer guy and have been in networking/IT for over 10 years. So I'm not a noob for forums, or anything of the sort, except to everything psp.

This is my current situation. My step-son has a psp. It's an old one, a phat one as you say, and the last time I looked, it had 3.50.

Man, there are sooo many guides, that even a tech nut like myself can get overwhelmed.

So I have a few questions.

1. First off this Pandora's battery. I'm assuming this is something that when completed (if not lifting that leg on the chip, obviously this would), changes the battery forever?

2. Once this is done, you should then store it away for a rainy day and buy another once you have your psp "homebrew" enabled?

3. I see there are ways of downgrading a 3.50 using that lem something game, so I have it coming from ebay as we speak, along with a 2 gig pro duo. So I guess this is all I need to mod his firmware. Is this correct?

4. Since this appears to be a pretty cool deal, I'm getting tempted to get one for myself. That white "star wars" model with Darth Vader on it is cool, but I see since it's a new "slim", and if I buy it new it will probably come with the latest firmware, 3.73....I see this is a real pain to mod.

Is there any reason NOT to get this Star Wars one?

5. Once you go cfw, can you ever go back to stock sony? Not that there's a reason to yet, but curious if there's a "never go back" Point.

6. If I get the slim star wars one, and I do the Guide by Midian to do a Pandora's Battery - New Method, from what I'm understanding here is that these newer ones you really can't take to 1.5, but you do this process which takes it straight to 3.71M33-3? After you do this, can you do some other method/guide to take it down to 1.5 to put on another cfw version? Or is this 3.71M33-3 the only one that works on the newer slim ones?

I guess I'll stop my questioning there for now . Thanks to all who answer.
    Jimbo
    Last edited by Jimbonator; 12-11-2007 at 07:45 AM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker spleblem's Avatar
    first of mate welcome to the forum
    and yeah the psp modding scene at first can seem minding blowing

1. No, you can change the battery and the memory stick back to normal.
    though you will have to solder the wire/leg back in place.

2. Even though you can change them back as you said store it away for a rainy day as you never know when you will brick your psp and need it to un brick.

3. yeah lumines is all you need to mod your psp so you don't need to make Pandora's battery.

4. if you do make the pandora's battery then modding the Darth Vader
    psp will not be a problem. (though don't hold me to this, but i haven't heard of any problems directly related to this psp)

5. yes once you go custom you can go back quite easily, there is a way to boot your psp into "recovery mode" once you have cfw which allows you to flash your psp back to firmware version 1.50 (which is official Sony firmware) from there you can go to the latest Sony firmware.

6. Yeah you can softmod your fat's battery and at this moment 3.71m33 is the only firmware for the slim.

Well i hope this helps you out then mate
    and welcome again to the forum.
    Last edited by spleblem; 12-11-2007 at 08:37 AM.

I actually was probably adding #6 as you were replying . Thanks for the welcome.

So if I mod the phat one for my step son, then I can get the slim one....take it's battery and put it into the phat one and follow one of the guides for making a softmodded battery? (not messing with the leg)

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker VeryThinPSP's Avatar
    If you have a phat psp with CF on it you can soft-mod the slim battery.
    3.60>3.71 M33-2>3.71 M33-3>SOLD!>3.60>3.71 M33-2>3.71 M33-3>SOLD!

8 Billion dollars wasted. Increased federal spending led to increased use.Time to stop?
    Very Funny STUFF FOR SALE!
    PWND! FREE PSP!
    R.I.P. MIDIAN

Excellent, so the slim battery can go into the phat one and can be modded without snipping of legs. Cool.

Just curious, but:
    1. Is there a way to UNsoft-mod a battery?

2. I've read some posts saying not to buy psp batteries from ebay, and how some are not moddable, you need official psp batteries to mod. Why? The psp batteries you buy from circuit city/bestbuy will work?
    Last edited by Jimbonator; 12-11-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Welcome to the site Jimbo,

Looks like these guys have answered all of your Q's..

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..
    [!]

Well, no one answered my past 2 questions .

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    sorry

1.) try the new method here(involves soldering/removing battery leg with pin) http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-har...ew-method.html

2) any battery should work fine. ive not heard of any cases where theyve not been compatible

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..
    [!]

Senior Member I Modded My PSP sam31183's Avatar
    Hey, I am kind of a psp newb as well. I picked up the star wars battlefront version you want to get. I really like it a lot. Battlefront is also a pretty good game. I have let my brother play it and he really wants one right now to. At any rate, from my research what you need to do to mod the battlefront version is kind of laid out in a thread by jcpantola. I would post the link to it in my thread....but apparently you need 15 posts before you can put up urls...i guess it keeps the pr0n bots at bay.

From what i have read...you find the cfw version of 3.71 then downgrade. If you do the software method of pandorizing your battery/memory card you dont even have to open it up...and you can unpandorize it using the same program without having to even open up the battery. I think I am going to try to get a bigger mem stick and another battery and go this route eventually. So far I have been able to do everything I want with my psp with just the sony firmware tho...so i want to look into what apps are out there on homebrew before i get into it to much. I would hate to have a 200 dollar star wars battlefront brick tho...lol.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    Yup, the software method is the best way to go, because it is reversable. However you do need an already modded PSP to do it, which kinda sucks if you don't know anyone.