Thread: Hey Everyone + few questions :^)

1. #1 Hey Everyone + few questions :^) 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP benjammin316's Avatar
    So i went to a local car boot last week and there was a PSP on someone's stall, i picked it up and paid £40 for it

I have heard alot about emulation etc. for it and am always interested in learning and trying out some techy stuff, The firmware it came with was 3.72? i think..

Anyway, i sorted out the Pandora battery and mem stick and have a CF of 3.80 M33-5 on there now, and just have a few query's..

(i have read through alot of posts btw but cant seem to find an exact answer, so i apologise if you are fed up of answering seemingly simple questions)

While looking through the post history for information on a snes emulator, this site got alot of talk -

yoyofr92 - cant post the whole link, i dont have 15 posts yet

Im just not sure how to go about getting it on my psp, i have to downgrade to 1.50 right? can that be done on the start up screen by pressing the R button while i power up?

Also, the PSP came with only a 32mb memory card, i take it i will need to buy one with more memory to run the snes emu and games?

Sorry for the long post with newb questions, but everyone has to start somewhere right?

Thanks

;^)

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Is your psp a slim or a fat?
    If its a fat, you can install the 1.50 kernel into the firmware and run all programs on it. If its a slim you may need to find programs built to run on the newer firmwares.
    Go to dl.qj.net and look under PSP for Emulators then fins SNES. The emulator you want is called SNESTYL 0.4.2. There is a special version for the slim that doesnt require the 1.50 kernel. That version will run on the fat too, but its easier to use the 1.50 with the fat imo.
    What you do it download the game, then put the folder you downloaded in the memory stick under PSP/GAMEXXX
    The XXX is the kernel you are using, this can be found by booting up while holding R, then going in to Configuration. The 3rd setting down will tell you your homebrew kernel #.
    Very funny....not.

Thanks for the reply, My PSP is a phatty btw.

I just started it in recovery mode, and changed the Kernel from 3.80 to 1.50 is that correct?

Then like you say, i make the folders on my memory card in USB mode and add the emulator etc right?

Damn, i hate learning ;^)

thanks
    O RLY?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Keep your psp on the 1.50 kernel. You can run everything on that. Your mem stick should have the correct folders. If it doesnt you should go into Settings, the System and format your mem stick. You will lose any data you have on it (back it up to your pc) but then the folders will all be set for you. You should get either one folder named SNESTYL (or w/e they named the folder) or tow folders anmed SNESTYL and %SNESTYL. Either way, drop those in the Game folder. I dont think it really matters which one you choose, but i put everything in the Game (no numbers) folder and it works.
    Learning is tough, but psp modding is fairly easy if you arent completely tech-illiterate. Soon this will be 2nd nature to you
    Your 32mb stick wont hold a ton of stuff, but it will hold the snes emu and a few roms. Check FRYs.com if you want to upgrade to more space, they often have really good sales. I got a 4gb for $35 once, but they dont always keep them in stock. NEVER buy a mem stick from ebay. 90% of them are fake.
    If you need any help you can find me on AIM. My s/n is NoSmokingBandit. Learning sucks, but its alot easier when you can chat in real-time.
    Very funny....not.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    Keep your psp on the 1.50 kernel. You can run everything on that. Your mem stick should have the correct folders. If it doesnt you should go into Settings, the System and format your mem stick. You will lose any data you have on it (back it up to your pc) but then the folders will all be set for you. You should get either one folder named SNESTYL (or w/e they named the folder) or tow folders anmed SNESTYL and %SNESTYL. Either way, drop those in the Game folder. I dont think it really matters which one you choose, but i put everything in the Game (no numbers) folder and it works.
    Learning is tough, but psp modding is fairly easy if you arent completely tech-illiterate. Soon this will be 2nd nature to you
    Your 32mb stick wont hold a ton of stuff, but it will hold the snes emu and a few roms. Check FRYs.com if you want to upgrade to more space, they often have really good sales. I got a 4gb for $35 once, but they dont always keep them in stock. NEVER buy a mem stick from ebay. 90% of them are fake.
    If you need any help you can find me on AIM. My s/n is NoSmokingBandit. Learning sucks, but its alot easier when you can chat in real-time.
    Hey thanks, i really appreciate it :^)
    O RLY?