Thread: New to the PSP, Help me decide on some things!

1. #1 New to the PSP, Help me decide on some things! 
    Hey all, i'm new to the PSP, and the Forums, receiving my first PSP tomorrow, ( daxter pack ) with a cracked screen, traded RSV2 for the PC for it. found the screens on DX for 40$, and plan to mod the living hell out of it... over time that is.
    So my question is.. what mods are really worth doing to the PSP? i know that i def want an emulator on it, what version firmware am i going to want to use? i also saw a PSP with vista on it, on Youtube.. and was wondering if anyone has done it.. and can help me out, if it's worth it? i also plan on doing the cr-3100 mod ( with 2 16 gig cards. ) and maybe a few LED's. if you guys know anything else worth doing to my PSP when i get it.. let the idea's fly, i'm open to any useful ideas. :P Hope to get some good responses.
    Thanks alot, in advance!
    -Andy

Senior Member I Modded My PSP sinslayerx's Avatar
    Please shut up.
    Firmware History: 4.01 Official -> Pandora Battery -> 3.90 M33-3 -> 5.00 M33 -> Update -> 5.00 M33-3 -> 5.00 M33-4

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Fayko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sinslayerx View Post
    Please shut up.
    wow is that really needed?
    He only asked a question

only thing i can help you with is i recommend the emulators of course ( http://www.pspmod.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=5 ) and im using 4.01 m33 i like it u might aswell.

Thank you Fayko, i agree.. that was really unneeded.. especially since i'm new to the whole PSP deal... but whatever.

I will definitely try 4.01 m33, if i don't like it.. is it hard to change? do i need the Pandora Battery, and the special stick to do it, or to reverse the changes?
    And thank you for the Emulator list, just what i was looking for, actually.
    Still curious about the Vista mod though.. and maybe a difficulty rating of changin' out the screen?

the vista thing wasnt a mod its a web portal
    ?¿»D£ÇØLΣØÑ«¿? Fw psp slim 3.95ofw > 4.01ofw > 4.05ofw > 3.80m33-5 semi brick > 4.01m33-2 dcv6 saved my life. the
    newest ---------------
    psp's i modded
    (3)g.o.w psp (1)madden (5)phats (2)starwars (1)black slim

Well.. what exactly is a web portal?

Yes, most definitely.. always smart to read up on things like that! I will most definitely check out QJ. Not going to do the 32 gig way, just yet... going to wait until after christmas, and save up the cash, to do it right. =oP
    I also planned on the PSone emulator.. and probably the SNES and N64 emulators too, if i can find a place to get the rom's.

Okay.. i'll keep that in mind... i pry won't do that.. atleast not right away. And as for a case.. i may go with a full Crystal case, or a red/grey.. the case i got with my psp is in pretty iffy shape.. Needs a battery cover, and maybe a new analog stick. + the screen, of course..
    Thanks for the help so far guys... i'll def. be sticking around.

EDIT://
    Guys, do you have any tips/pointers for getting stripped screws out of the PSP!? i just discovered a stripped screw on the bottom of the case. ( beside the Barcode thing. )
    Last edited by Awilliams357m; 11-10-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Hmm.. well okay, i'll take your word for it.. i'm sure you've more experience with PSP's than i do. =oP

I def. need help getting out that screw though.. no screwdriver i have will take it out.. tried " Strip Out " which does about nothing.....

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Fayko's Avatar
    if u like vistas lay out you can use the vista ctf. Its a custom theme that looks like vista. As for the downgrade/upgrade i think after u get cfw on your psp all u have to do is add the cfw eboot and the ofw .pbp to a folder in your game file you will make called UPDATE. But i may be wrong

The N64 emulators i recommend to stay away. The best one for the psp is so slow you cant play (idk if theres an update that fixes this) I tried zelda: oot Took me 30mins to get to the tree house start when navi wakes him.

As for screw drivers i used a 1/16" Precision Screwdriver Phillips and a 5/64" Precision Screwdriver Phillips

If you have a few bucks you can try a torx screwdriver
    Torx screwdriver - Google Product Search

Hope this helps`
    Last edited by Fayko; 11-10-2008 at 11:51 PM.

Okay guys, Thank you! i got the case open.... but it wasn't pretty. Just going to order a new faceplate, and the trim for it... along with the screen, and SOME NEW SCREWS! Other than that, the disassemble went rather well. I'm going to go with the 4.01 m33 for sure.. and who knows what else. :P Still interested in your ideas though.

Do i need a torx screwdriver? the screws by the USB port weren't there when i got it... and are those the 0 and 00 phillips screwdrivers? i currently only have a 0.. and will be ordering a pair of 00's when i buy my new case/lcd/mem stick, batt cover.
    Last edited by Awilliams357m; 11-11-2008 at 12:23 AM.

Another quick question guys; how do you install the firmware? i would like to go to 4.01 m33, and just keep the programs simple for now.. i'm going to get the doom emulator, and maybe a few other little things.. like the prog that lets you transfer UMD's to your mem stick for backups/playing without the disk.. and that's about it... for now. :]