Thread: Hello all

1. #1 Hello all 
    Junior Member PSP User
    I am new to the PSP thing but it doesnt seem too hard. A little overwhelming but not too hard. I used to buy broken PS2s on ebay and repair them and resell them so I figured I would buy a few PSPs and see if I could get one or two actually working (got one going so far). I want one with the Sony firmware and one with the cutom firmware just in case.

Before I do that though I have a question or two. I have been reading alot on these firmwares and the fact that they allow you to run emulators and stuff but do the latest ones like the 5.00 work as well or better with the older emulators? Also what are the limitations of the custom firmware? Will I be able to get on the PS store or use remote play? I had an older Sony firmware on the PSP and it wanted me to update to the 5.02 to do remote play so I was wondering if the 5.00 CFW would work or if I have to wait till you come out with a 5.02 CFW.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Chokito's Avatar
    welcome to ya
    unfortunately i can't answer you question
    but i sure someone else can
    anyway enjoy your stay

Member PSP User
    Hey chris,

The problem is not with the firmware not supporting the homebrew, infact its the other way around. Alot of the homebrew applications were written for the old firmware and are not updated as often. You should read up on "Time Machine" it will allow homebrew to run better on newer FW. I havent tried it myself but im sure a quick search will bring up atleast a couple of guides on how to do it.

Best of luck!
    Cheers

Junior Member PSP User
    Thanks, I will check that out later today. I managed to get another PSP working so I will have 1 CFW and 1 OFW now so remote play and the PSN store arent a big deal. I just wish there were more up-to-date stuff on the newer firmwares for people getting into this late. I see a ton of 3.x firmware stuff but hardly anything on the 5.x. There just seems to be little organization to some of the stuff online. This is the best site I have found by far but there are still some things out there that I have found that I havent seen here. Possibly it is here but as with all forums the search feature is harder to use than it should be. Like I see alot of stuff about not being able to downgrade firmware higher than 3.71 or 4.01 or whatever and I downgraded from 5.02 OFW using this guide makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-downgrade-your-psp-upgrade-to-a-custom-firmware-part-two/. Like I said in my first post its all just a bit overwhelming and theres a ton of info out there but its just not as organised as I would like. lol

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    Hello and welcome!
    PSN: Lasraik
    PC/Console Gamer Community Forum:
    http://www.perforateartery.com/forum