Thread: OFW 5.02 Question

1. #1 OFW 5.02 Question 
    Hey everyone! I don't know if I am doing everything right or not, so I figured I should ask. First of all- I have a 2001 series psp. I don't remember what firmware it came with, but I do know that it was updated to 2.xx ofw from Daxter when new. My psp sat around for a long time until lately. By accident, it recently updated to 5.02 ofw through the network update when I started playing with it again. I made a pandora battery by opening it up and slicing the wire and when put into the psp will light up the green power light, but leave the screen blank or off, which from what I have read is correct. I made a MMS with steves MMS creator v1.1. When I put the MMS in and then put the pandora battery in, the green power light comes on, but that is it. I have tried holding down l, l+r, r, x... nothing has worked.

Does anyone see anything I am doing wrong here? Has anyone been able to downgrade 5.02 yet?
    Thanks

Homebrew Creator PSP Elite Hacker Mobster's Avatar
    hmm im thinkin u have the unhackable type but that doesnt explain how u updated to 2.whatever. remake ur mms with the rainultralite mms maker.
    Left4Quake donation complete!

Left 4 Dead on PSP!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    ~Yes firmware version doesn't matter with pandora and mms hacking, what does matter is the motherboard version.

You must be mistaken on the 2.xx firmware, must be 3.xx, but if that's the case it should be hackable. Use the second guide in my signature to make a MMS instead of whichever one you're using now.

zarz123
    did he say daxter??
    those are always hackable...

Quote Originally Posted by zarz123 View Post
    did he say daxter??
    those are always hackable...
    Good spot, yeah they are, so he must've made the battery or MMS wrong.

You bricked your PSP, Format the memory stick using PSP grader, Install the custom firmware using that to.
    Just G00G13 it!
    3.90 OFW > 3.90 M33-3 > 5.00 M33-4 > 5.02 GEN-A
    All updates in 3 days.

Killer, in response to you, it was 2.60 ofw from daxter, I am looking at the screen now and am 100% sure that it was updated to 2.60 when I got it. I just wish I could downgrade it back down from the daxter umd. And as far as bricking goes, I thought that if it was bricked, nothing at all would happen when I try to turn it on, whether it was a pandora battery or a new battery. I can still play the psp as normal with the ac adapter plugged into it. I will check into the psp grader right now and see if I can figure it out, as of yet, I have not read anything about it or even tried it out yet. Hopefully it works. I appreciate everyones help and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
    Killer, in response to you, it was 2.60 ofw from daxter, I am looking at the screen now and am 100% sure that it was updated to 2.60 when I got it. I just wish I could downgrade it back down from the daxter umd. And as far as bricking goes, I thought that if it was bricked, nothing at all would happen when I try to turn it on, whether it was a pandora battery or a new battery. I can still play the psp as normal with the ac adapter plugged into it. I will check into the psp grader right now and see if I can figure it out, as of yet, I have not read anything about it or even tried it out yet. Hopefully it works. I appreciate everyones help and thank you.
    You mean 3.60. That was the original firmware on slim PSP, there wasn't any lower on that model. I don't know why that guy said it's bricked, it's obviously not.

Like i said earlier, make the MMS with the version in the second link in my signature, then try it.

Hey Killer, I won't argue because i am sure you know more about than I. Before network update to 5.02, it hadn't been touched in almost a year. I didn't think it was bricked, because like I said, it still plays fine when I take the pandora battery out. With the pandora battery and mms in, it doesn't do anything but turn on the green power light. I will try what you said and get back to you. Thanks man!

Also, has anyone officially been able to install cfw from a 5.02 ofw? I haven't been able to get a straight answer in anything else I have read.

Quote Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
    Also, has anyone officially been able to install cfw from a 5.02 ofw? I haven't been able to get a straight answer in anything else I have read.
    Yes, like i say earlier, firmware version doesn't matter when you are hacking with the pandora method. All that matters is which motherboard your PSP has in it. If the PSP had anything lower than 4.01 when first installed then you should be fine.

I said it was bircked because I didn't read the whole thing.
    Just G00G13 it!
    3.90 OFW > 3.90 M33-3 > 5.00 M33-4 > 5.02 GEN-A
    All updates in 3 days.

So i used Rains mms to make my mms. I put it in with the pandora battery and nothing worked...green light and dark screen, but not update or downgrade. I remade the mms like 6 times and kept trying, but no luck. I got pissed and said screw it and figured I would make my battery normal again. I traced the cut with a no. 2 pencil, put the battery back together and put it in the psp. Still a green power light and black screen, so I figured I would try to downgrade and see what happens. Pulled out the battery, held in "L" button, inserted battery, and lights started going crazy. Pressed x, ran the program and I can now say I went from 5.02 ofw to 3.80 cfw on my slim. I don't know what the pencil did, but it made it work all of a sudden.
    As far as it being bricked, I don't think that it ever was... my battery just wasn't working right.
    Thanks to all that gave advise and pointed me in the right direction.