Thread: YO! What's the deal with this new stuff?

1. #1 YO! What's the deal with this new stuff? 
    Junior Member PSP User
    I'm new, but not entirely. I used to mod my PSP all the time, and then stopped . I recently decided to get back into PSP modding upon realizing there is an N64 emulator out there now.
    Anyway, I'll introduce myself i guess. I'm Steve and I study Aero Engineering in the middle of nowhere. I have little to do here except furiously study, and drink . Oh yeah, and occasionally procrastinate .
    This stuff was cool back when there was a handful of programmers vs. Sony staff. I think that Nestor guy was the main hacker back then.

Anyhow, im a noob when it comes to this new stuff, so!
    Can anyone answer some questions for me, pleeasse?

1) What's the deal with this non-GTA mod stuff? How does one run homebrew without porting through a GTA save (this was a brand new development when i stopped doing this So i know very little about it.).

2) How well does that daedalus N64 emulator work, in your opinion?

3) Any significantly new homebrew apps i should look into?

4) I think i still have v1.5 firmware on my PSP, should i still shoot for getting an MMS and pandora battery? What are the advantages?

5) Any new risks involved? I heard a rumor about this so i guess i'll ask; is sony really monitoring online usage or whatever to ban modded PSPs?

6) Bricking! Reversible now?!

7) Is there an easier way to upload videos to the PSP now? I remember having to sort through like 10 different crappy apps to get film on mine back in the day.

8) Any other suggestions of what cool things i can do with my PSP?

Thanks to everyone who replies

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    1) Now homebrew files just go in the PSP>GAME folder. They come in the forms of EBOOT.pbp files. .ISO and .CSO games go in the ISO folder.

2) Not sure, havent used it.

3) Yes, Many.
    Hold.prx - When listening to music, you can put your psp in hold mode and it turns the screen off and lowers the system power usage to save battery.

PspTool - App that has many functions, allows you to soft mod your battery and revert it back to normal mode. Makes a MMS, many others.

CMXB 3.3 - App that allows custom themes so your psp looks "pimped out"

PspTube - Allows you to watch many online streeming video sites such as youtube.

UMDumper - Allows you to rip the .iso file from the umd and play the backup.

and many, many more.

4) Well, if you have the money, buy a Daxter Psp pack and keep your phat on psp 1.5 . But yes, unless you know someone on CFW already, just tell them to get the PspTool app and they can make your MS into a MMS and your battery a Pandora, then revert them back to normal.

5) Only current risk that I personally know of is bricking and or messing up your NAND (not sure what NAND is but i know its bad =p)

6) Yup, but not all bricks. Most semi-bricks can be fixed by reflashing your cfw with hellcats recovery flasher or just by using pandora battery and mms and reinstalling your firmware.

7)Yup, now with custom firmware, as long as you download movies in the .mp4 format, you can just place them in the VIDEO folder of your psp.

8) Uhm.... Get other EMU's, do some hardware mods if your good with that, not sure what else.

Buy Pandora's from here
    Pandora Battery and 4GB MagicMemory Stick -
    Follow these instructions to install CFW after purchasing your MMS.
    Pandora Battery Install Instructions
    Need to update to 5.00M33-6?
    Dark-Alex.Org - 5.00M33-6 Update and Instructions

Remember Reach PSP Mad Hacker Fanryu's Avatar
    I would dump your money into a Daxter PSP, it's quite worth it. Also, the whole PSP modding scene has become much bigger, Dark Alex is now the current and most popular PSP hacker. CFW (Custom Firmware) lets you run homebrew on your PSP without the need for the GTA UMD. If you get a Daxter PSP, make sure you download a program that lets you softmod your battery to be a pandora battery using the Phat PSP. Also, if you are looking for a good program to easily convert your videos, here it is! PSP Video 9 That will format almost all videos into MP4, PSP, format. If you need anymore info, just ask around the board and people will be sure to help.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    1) What's the deal with this non-GTA mod stuff? How does one run homebrew without porting through a GTA save (this was a brand new development when i stopped doing this So i know very little about it.).
    Its old now.
    Pandora battery and MMS.Pandora battery takes the psp into service mode allowing direct access to internal flash and hence flash cfw on it.

2) How well does that daedalus N64 emulator work, in your opinion?
    Many games dont work.
    But 6/10.
    Zelda works.Super mario and smash bros work fine.

3) Any significantly new homebrew apps i should look into?
    Many.
    Ultimate psptube
    xplora
    irshell
    emulators etc.

4) I think i still have v1.5 firmware on my PSP, should i still shoot for getting an MMS and pandora battery? What are the advantages?
    You dont need MMS and pandora if you on 1.5,you can directly upgrade to cfw.
    Upgrading to latest firmware allows you to play newer games and stuff.
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/firmwar...tml#post426323
    Follow this to upgrade to 5.00m33-4.Wont take more theyn 5 minutes

5) Any new risks involved? I heard a rumor about this so i guess i'll ask; is sony really monitoring online usage or whatever to ban modded PSPs?
    No rish whatsoever.
    6) Bricking! Reversible now?!
    All types of bricks are reversible thanks to dark alex.When i say all i mean including nand bricks.

7) Is there an easier way to upload videos to the PSP now? I remember having to sort through like 10 different crappy apps to get film on mine back in the day.
    Just convert and copy paste.
    Provided you are on newer firmwares

8) Any other suggestions of what cool things i can do with my PSP?

Well universal remote and stuff.But first upgrade to latest firmware using my link.

AND I dont see any need to buy another psp,newer models cant be hacked.You can play isos on cfw without any loader or anything.Rip them without using homebrews.And the fact that you have a phat,makes it even better.
    Just pm me your yahoo/msn. I will help you out.

PS:You will need 5 posts to pm me.
    Last edited by Pirate-King; 03-05-2009 at 08:29 AM.

Junior Member PSP User
    Thanks a lot for the replies, all the information is really useful
    Unfortunately im behind on all the terminology, haha, but catching up on that will give me something to do until i get my PSP i guess :/
    It's at home (im at college ) and when i get my hands on it in a week im gonna fiddle around a lot :-}

The homebrew has gotten so much cooler since i last checked it out!
    Thanks for all the suggestions, if you ever randomly think of something awesome let me know!
    I like all sorts of gadgets and things. I stay awake in class sometimes just by downloading apps on my iPhone

Srsly though, Atrain821, KhAosxChAoS, and Pirate-King thanks a ton

And i'll work on gathering up a bit of information, posts, and most essentially, my PSP before i PM you pirate, haha, i don't want to bug you too soon =p

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanyo View Post
    Thanks a lot for the replies, all the information is really useful
    Unfortunately im behind on all the terminology, haha, but catching up on that will give me something to do until i get my PSP i guess :/
    It's at home (im at college ) and when i get my hands on it in a week im gonna fiddle around a lot :-}

The homebrew has gotten so much cooler since i last checked it out!
    Thanks for all the suggestions, if you ever randomly think of something awesome let me know!
    I like all sorts of gadgets and things. I stay awake in class sometimes just by downloading apps on my iPhone

Srsly though, Atrain821, KhAosxChAoS, and Pirate-King thanks a ton

And i'll work on gathering up a bit of information, posts, and most essentially, my PSP before i PM you pirate, haha, i don't want to bug you too soon =p
    Ok cool
    But if i dont respond that will be coz of my exams.. dont worry they wont last long..So i will be soon in touch with you