Thread: Awesome Site, buying PSP help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Awesome Site, buying PSP help 
    First off, this site is genius.

I am about to graduate college in about 2 weeks, because I will most likely have a job where I will need to take the train and possibly even a plane I'm looking into getting a PSP and I want a 2000/Slim.

I want to hack this obviously, but I really (as of now) only care about putting Emulators on it like the SNES N64 Sega MAME and whatever other ones. (I already have these downloaded)

I've browsed this site for hours and am trying to figure exactly which 2000's this can be done on.

What I believe I found out is almost all except 1 version of the slim can be hacked(?) If that is true, where do I go from there?

I want a new one, but do many places still sell the new ones? In store. I saw amazon had a great deal on a 2000 and also buy.com, but I've heard the one from Amazon was unhackable.

I don't want a bundle because I'm planning on buying a larger memory card and am not interested in any of the available bundles.

If I get my PSP 2000 and it is indeed hackable, do I need to purchase anything else like this pandora battery in order to play the emulators?

Any help to any of my questions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks ahead of time!

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker zII Snowman IIz's Avatar
    Hello Welcome to pspmod.

Yes to play emulators you will need a pandora battery and mms which can be created with a battery and the files for the mms can be downloaded.

Or you can buy a datel tool battery which will get you cfw, this is where i got mine from MAX Power Digital - Universal Mode Battery for the PSP2000 and PSP3000 - Codejunkies US
    That one is for psp slim

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply, so if I buy a psp 2000 and this battery, It would be hackable? Do you know of any stores that sell 2000's still or an online site where I can order one and know it won't be an unhackable 2000?

Senior Member I Modded My PSP PigVenus's Avatar
    Read through this: http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-mis...-hackable.html

Your best best for a hackable 2000 is one of the limited edition series:
    Limited Edition packs:

Daxter Limited Edition Pack (TA-85v2/3.80 OFW)(CONFIRMED)
    God of War Limited Edition Pack (TA-88v2/3.95 OFW)(CONFIRMED)
    Madden 09 Limited Edition Pack (TA-88v2/3.95 OFW & TA-88v3/4.01 OFW)(CONFIRMED)
    Star Wars Darth Vader Edition Pack(TA-85v2)

You can find these on eBay and sometime on your local craigslist. For a cheaper solution, the 1000s are fine also and can be obtained on eBay for under $100.

Quote Originally Posted by PigVenus View Post
    Read through this: (Site)

Limited Edition packs:

You can find these on eBay and sometime on your local craigslist. For a cheaper solution, the 1000s are fine also and can be obtained on eBay for under $100.
    Yeah I've gone through that thread like crazy lately, but it seems like it'll be difficult to find out whether or not it's hackable without actually having the box in your hands or the system.

I don't really want a bundle, but i guess i may have to do that if I can't find any other 2000's.

Also, from that thread it seems like almost all 2000's are hackable and therefore my chances of getting one that isn't hackable is unlikely.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker danos's Avatar
    Read through this: http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-mis...-hackable.html

Limited Edition packs:

scratch out madden bundle, do not buy it.
    Red Slim ofw 3.93 > ofw 5.02 > cfw 3.80m33-5 > cfw 5.00m33-4 > cfw 5.00m33-6
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-mis...-hackable.html
    A wise man once said common sense is not that common

http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-fir...sp-any-fw.html

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker zII Snowman IIz's Avatar
    Thanks, yes most of them psps i think you can get cfw on

Senior Member I Modded My PSP PigVenus's Avatar
    KMunley> You don't necessarily have to get the bundle - just the psp that came in the bundle pack. If you track them on eBay, you will notice that the Daxter, Star Wars, and God of War PSPs go for a lot more than "normal" PSPs and even more than the 3000s - that's because they are 100% hackable.

However, the Slims only main advantage is the extra RAM which very few homebrew actually make use of (there is a web-browser that is supposed to be faster, but who wants to browse on such a small screen? cps1psp doesn't need a pre-made /cache - big deal, you do it once and its done otherwise cps1psp and cps2psp run identically. irshell does "multitasking" - I don't even use iRShell. you get the idea). As far as size & weight - I actually think the Phat feels nicer.

In other words, get a Phat. You will save a few $$$ and won't have to worry about its "hack-ability".

EDIT: Doh! I thought of a very interesting homebrew that does use the extra RAM - DaedalusX64 (Nintendo 64). It is supposed to give you a few more fps.
    Last edited by PigVenus; 04-30-2009 at 09:17 PM.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    Or you can go the simple route, go to thelink in my signature and then you can buy the pandora and or a prehacked slim from there too.

Buy Pandora's from here
    Pandora Battery and 4GB MagicMemory Stick -
    Follow these instructions to install CFW after purchasing your MMS.
    Pandora Battery Install Instructions
    Need to update to 5.00M33-6?
    Dark-Alex.Org - 5.00M33-6 Update and Instructions

KMunley> You don't necessarily have to get the bundle - just the psp that came in the bundle pack. If you track them on eBay, you will notice that the Daxter, Star Wars, and God of War PSPs go for a lot more than "normal" PSPs and even more than the 3000s - that's because they are 100% hackable.

However, the Slims only main advantage is the extra RAM which very few homebrew actually make use of (there is a web-browser that is supposed to be faster, but who wants to browse on such a small screen? cps1psp doesn't need a pre-made /cache - big deal, you do it once and its done otherwise cps1psp and cps2psp run identically. irshell does "multitasking" - I don't even use iRShell. you get the idea). As far as size & weight - I actually think the Phat feels nicer.

In other words, get a Phat. You will save a few $$$ and won't have to worry about its "hack-ability".

EDIT: Doh! I thought of a very interesting homebrew that does use the extra RAM - DaedalusX64 (Nintendo 64). It is supposed to give you a few more fps.

So should i still get the phat one even though one of the main reasons I'm getting the PSP is for the emulators? Does it run noticeable worse on the 1000 compared to the 2000 at least in terms of DaedalusX64? I actually have project64 downloaded already, does that work on the psp?

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    no daedalus runs the same on both (I have both and tested), the only apps that use the slims mem more is a homebrew IE, and a option that let's you multitask, whereas the phat has an ir port so it can be a universal remote

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Is the internet on Phat psp? I want one soooo bad, but can't decide or find the one I want. I would prefer a slim, but just want to make sure I'll be able to get emulators. I don't think many places sell the 1000 or 2000 anymore, in store at least.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP J0EY's Avatar
    bro it can be difficult to determine if the 2k is hackable or not unless u have it in ur hands. another thing u cud do is look for psp 2k with CFW already on. that will obviously mean its hackable.

if u wanna b 100% sure, get a fat

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Klause's Avatar
    This might be irrelevant and already answered, but I'm not going to read through the rest of the posts.

Try your local Fred Meyer and KMart. These stores seem to keep older items in stock for longer periods of time.

Its worth a shot, I know the stores where I am still carry the Star Wars, Daxter, and the Core Systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by rebal_23 View Post
    does anyone know of any games that dont need a custom firmware
    lol

Senior Member I Modded My PSP J0EY's Avatar
    whats the price of the daxter bundle there klause?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast