Thread: my first playstation

1. #1 my first playstation 
    yup, thats right, this is my first Sony Playstation Console, the Sony PSP. My dad had a PSX, but I've grown up on pc's, nes, sega genesis, n64, and my 3 xboxes. Well I was playing in a little lan party tournement, and the winner gets a Sony PSP, and I really wanted it...And so did the first place winner. So I ended up with second place, and a $50 gift certifcate to EB Games. The next day I set out to find a Sony PSP, but I just didn'thave enough money yet. But I wanted it now. Then, being at the right place and the right time, a friend of a friend walks into my work, and he has a BRAND NEW Sony PSP he won in a contest, and he wants to sell it because he already has one...and guess who had the money, I had $140 in my pocket, and the deal was sealed. and So now I sit here the proud owner of a brand new Sony PSP, and god do i wanna hack it like I did the xbox. I figure I better post here and figure out where the mods and hacks and apps start. Ordering a gig memory stick in the next week.

Oh and Should I upgrade the firmware? Or leave it at ...I think its 1.5

Junior Member PSP User
    yea the PSP is actually my first playstation also (actually i don't have it yet, its coming friday from freepsps.com!!, i didn't even have to pay anything!!)

leave it at 1.5 if you wanna add homebrew games or other memory stick games

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker IONz's Avatar
    damn you guys suck....I had to save several months in advance for it

It was well worth it though

"Think for yourself, question authority" - Timothy Leary

Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by punkmusiq41
    yea the PSP is actually my first playstation also (actually i don't have it yet, its coming friday from freepsps.com!!, i didn't even have to pay anything!!)

leave it at 1.5 if you wanna add homebrew games or other memory stick games
    those sites really work?

5. #5 Where do you put a sound boot? 
    thepunisher
    Where do you put a sound boot? and how do you get it to work?

Administrator PSP Elite Hacker admin's Avatar
    what is a sound boot ???

thepunisher
    It is the sound your PSP makes when its booting up. Like some peoples say "playstaion portable psp"

maccabi723
    What firmware is your psp running?

You need a homebrew friendly version to be able to use custom boot sounds/videos.

They are either flashed onto the psp's internal flash memory (where the installed firmware and your settings are stored), or you can also use them through devhook by replacing a few files on the memory stick.
    Modifying the data on the psp's internal flash always carries a very small risk of bricking (destroying) your psp and I personally have never wanted a custom gameboot that much.

I have used one with devhook, which I use to load and run newer firmwares on my 1.5 psp (allowing newer game umds to run).
    Some UMD games come with different gameboots, I think the one I had was from prince of persia. It had the screen being slashed and the audio was an english woman saying 'playstation portable' then a Japanese sounding woman saying 'PSP'.
    I never even intended to install it, the devhook auto-installer I used must have had it set up.

If your psp is running firmware 3.10 or above there is currently no way to get access to homebrew, including custom gameboots. 3.03 is the highest firmware that can be downgraded.

Freedick
    don't you mean 3.10 and 3.11, not 2.81 and above? because you can downgrade a 3.03 psp
    and yes, you will need a homebrew psp do use the boot sounds

maccabi723
    Yes its now 3.03, at the time of writing that the new downgrader was not yet released.

I edited the post to reflect the new downgrader.