Thread: New to console modding, but not to hardware modding in general

Hi guys, I'm an electrical engineering student (I know, I probably got dropped on my head a couple of times when I was younger) and I'm new to the console modding community. I've been a member of the PC building/modding community for 5+ years now, so I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty (and if I happen to void a few warranties in the process, well, that only means that I'm doing my job right ).

I just bought a clunker PSP 1001 off of Ebay (broken screen - looking for the best price on one of those right now), and I'm looking forward to hacking that thing to little pieces.
    Last edited by vulrath; 08-12-2009 at 05:25 AM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkFoxSniper's Avatar
    Welcome PSPMOD.

Quote Originally Posted by iedwardsIII
    In the words of DFS, go die.

PSP Motherboard F.A.Q. Coldboot Tutorial

Is that a whale?! PSP Elite Hacker fuckingclassy's Avatar
    Use this guide to get Custom Firmware installed: http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-har...ery-guide.html

After that, feel free to play emulated games, backed-up ISOs, or just fuck softmods, and go straight to LED hardmods.
    Nintendo Emulators || LED Modifications
    Disclaimer:
    Everything that this user says is fictional and for entertainment purposes only

Thanks for the warm welcome; I think I've come to the right place for my modding needs.

I figured I'd start off with an LED mod that's been brewing in my head for a few months now. I'm currently trying to track down some stranded sideglow fiber optic cable, and as soon as I can get some cheap, I planned on running some around a clear faceplate so that when the LED(s) come on the entire faceplate lights up instead of the immediate area around the diode. I have to open the case anyway to replace the screen; I might as well kill two birds with one stone and do it all at once.

CFW is next on my list (as soon as I can confirm that I can play an online game of PSO with people running OSFW), and I'm sure I can find something quite fun and unique but silly to do to it down the road.

Is that a whale?! PSP Elite Hacker fuckingclassy's Avatar
    Just as a suggestion, I wouldn't get a clear faceplate. Everyone gets those. They're kinda over-rated. I'd get an orange faceplate with black buttons, with orange and white LEDs. I've NEVER seen that combo before.
    Nintendo Emulators || LED Modifications
    Disclaimer:
    Everything that this user says is fictional and for entertainment purposes only

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker -GunslingerGirl-'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .ChAoS-FaCtiOn. View Post
    Just as a suggestion, I wouldn't get a clear faceplate. Everyone gets those. They're kinda over-rated. I'd get an orange faceplate with black buttons, with orange and white LEDs. I've NEVER seen that combo before.
    You just want a psp to bare your font.
    Well the way I see it, I'm the judge and my bullets are the jury.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP geared_up78's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vulrath View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome; I think I've come to the right place for my modding needs.

I figured I'd start off with an LED mod that's been brewing in my head for a few months now. I'm currently trying to track down some stranded sideglow fiber optic cable, and as soon as I can get some cheap, I planned on running some around a clear faceplate so that when the LED(s) come on the entire faceplate lights up instead of the immediate area around the diode. I have to open the case anyway to replace the screen; I might as well kill two birds with one stone and do it all at once.

CFW is next on my list (as soon as I can confirm that I can play an online game of PSO with people running OSFW), and I'm sure I can find something quite fun and unique but silly to do to it down the road.
    I haven't plaid pso, but I have also never had a problem playing online against or with an osfw player.
    PSP services for sale. Custom Paint jobs, CFW installed, LCD screen replacement, LED mods, all work guaranteed and done cheap. 10 year game console modding exp.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP EngrishKiller's Avatar
    Welcome, and show some pics when you finish.

Well, then...CFW it is, and I'll probably have a thread of pics and details as I go.