Thread: Hello

1. #1 Hello 
    Hello everyone, I'm Tessei. Not sure why, but I couldn't get a verification email for my usual account, so had to use my backup to verify.

I've been interested in PSP-mods for a while, but everytime I try to get into it, I get easily confused, and end up leaving it alone. Reading some of the topics, it seems it might have gotten easier since the last time I looked, so here's hoping 4th time's the charm.

Basically, what I've always wanted to do with my PSP is mod it so it can still play the (very limited library) I have for it, but also play emulators, most importantly MAME, or if there's a better Arcade emulator, then that. Eventually, if all goes well, I would like to try other emulators, since hooking up the various Nintendo's are a pain, and my SS is broken. I would also like to add some sort of text reader to my PSP, so i can read various FAQs for the games I'm playing.

I (of course) had a few questions, and was hoping it would be ok to ask here. If there would be a better place to put this I apologize, when going over the various forums, I wasn't sure if my questions were specialized enough for any one particular forum.

I currently have (I think) the PSP-1000 "phat" model, with ofw 3.11 for my Valkyrie Profile. I will need to be upgrading to at least 3.51 for FF Tactics, and if possible 5.01 for FF: Dissidia (JP). These 3 games are the limit of my library, and I'm not currently interested in getting any other games. I don't have a Pandora's Battery as of yet, if it's needed I can buy one, but I do have a few 512MB memory cards.

1) Would ChickHEN be my best option, or since I have an older model, would it be easier to use one of the older methods? If ChickHEN, would v2 be better than v1? I was reading about how v2 seemed to usually require the PSP to be plugged into the USB port of a PC to work, which sort of defeats the purpose of portable?

2) Going through the emulator lists on the forum, it would seem PSP MAME4ALL v4.9r2 is the best choice, and mvspsp (?), and PSPMame (old?) are some others? I'm worried the games I'm interested aren't available on MAME4ALL, namely D&D Shadows Over Mystara, misc. puzzle games, and the X-Men vs. Streetfighter type games.

3) I haven't had the chance to look over how to add a text reader, I think it would be some type of homebrew?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

-Tessei

Homebrew Creator PSP Elite Hacker Mobster's Avatar
    chickhen would be easiest because you dont have ot buy anything for that.

really the newest version of every emulator is the best.

there are homebrew text readers
    Left4Quake donation complete!

Left 4 Dead on PSP!

Junior Member PSP User Defenestrate's Avatar
    Hello, welcome
    Predicons, Terrorize

Thank you for the tips. However, it doesn't seem like I can get ChickHEN to run on my PSP.

One of 2 things happens:
    1) The system freezes when it tries to load an image of the TIFF. (was expected, sources say it'll happen a few times)

2) The image of the TIFF loads, but then nothing happens. (unexpected, I haven't read anything about it?)

I have (according to the SN) a PSP1001, so I downloaded the eggsploit.tiff instead of the one that comes off this:
    forums/latest-added-psp-mod-downloads/51576-new-file-added-psp3000-homebrew-enabler.html

I've tried several of the methods given in the "HEN around the corner!" topic, but so far nothing seems to work. What I haven't tried is:

- Formatting the MS before trying to install HEN. (don't know how?)
    - Restoring the system settings on the PSP before trying to install HEN. (what does this delete?)
    - Disabling the UMD cache. (don't know how?)

I played around a lot with having various pics in the folder with the file, for some reason the eggsploit file is always on top? I've tried renaming files so it appears last on the list, but I think the PSP shows files by the late date they were modified, so the eggsploit file is always on top.

I'm going on 2 hours now, still havne't figured out what's wrong, if there are any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

-Tessei