Thread: Shopping for a new (and hackable) PSP

1. #1 Shopping for a new (and hackable) PSP 
    So, I have a PSP 1000, which is as ancient as dirt but still usable. I've come to a point where I'd like a newer PSP and have my sights on a used 2000/3000 because they're lighter and have vid output. A number of auctions are available on eBay (which I've had good luck with in the past) and some are even premodded. I plan to keep my phat psp, just in case there's a game I must play that requires official firmware or ones more recent than what the custom can provide. Really, I want the custom firmware so I can run Remote Joy and capture vid/screens of the games I play.

That really brings me to my question. When looking through the auctions, what keywords should I use for finding systems with custom firmware? I've noticed CFW used a fair amount, but then sometimes they don't. I think 'm33' would help me, but are there recent custom firmwares that do not contain that?

Elite Bullshitter PSP Elite Hacker Jubbabubba's Avatar
    If you're going through Ebay, you're going to have a difficult time finding an auction with cfw that goes through. Ebay takes them down.

If you want a fully hackable 2k, do some research on google on which ones are hackable for sure, then head to Ebay and sift through the 2ks up for bid.

3k's not that great since it's not fully hackable.

hhmmm.. yeah. I was about to disagree, but some of the ones I had watched were gone and visiting the links I got in email says it doesn't exist. Still, there are currently 4 available auctions... perhaps using a 'buy it now' will allow one to sneak under the radar.

I did find a guide on this site that a nice list of hackable/nonhackable PSPs. Near the bottom is mentioned the bundle packs, which will help in the searching. The madden may/may not be, based on the info there, but the others are a definite thumbs up for hacking, it would seem.

So before I do anything stupid and brick it, I wanted to post here and update/get clarifications.

I have gotten a Vader branded psp2001 and what should be a pandora battery. However, when I put in the battery into my phat psp to charge it, I only get a flashing orange light, which some forums posts say is a bad battery... I know my friend used it successfully before, but perhaps it kicked around his bag too long or something?

So I started looking into chickHen, because I might be able to do that while at work today due to it all being software based. Of course, it has a bunch of warning about bricking your system, so I wanted confirmation or verification that what I got (the serial # is HU71XXXXX) is truly hackable?