Thread: Hi all, looks like I have a lot to learn.

1. #1 Hi all, looks like I have a lot to learn. 
    Hi everyone. I am new to the world of PSP. I just bought a used PSP to keep me occupied while I spend time recovering in bed. I was going to go and buy a bunch of used games when I came across this site.
    So I started reading some of the posts and the " How do I" links, but the more I read, the less clear things have become. I don't want to jump in and accidentilly "brick" my PSP, cause I don't know anyone with a Pandora battey or another PSP to help me out.
    Is there a clear "Modding for Dummies" post that can walk me through what needs to be downloaded, installed and in what order? Maybe a coloring book with some crayons to help keep me occupied!!
    I bought a God of War PSP 2001, and it looks to be operating on firmware version 5.03. I am running Windows Vista on my laptop.( from what I have read I am not sure if that makes a differance.)

First off:
    Do I need a Pandora battery?
    Do I need a MMS?

I am sure there is clear information out there, but at some point one needs to stop and ask for directions. Thanks in advance.

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-fir...sp-any-fw.html that will get you to cfw, you won't need a pandora or mms

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Thanks for the link Geek9.
    The video is a little hard to follow, but we got chickHEN R2 installed now.
    Does it matter which CFW we install? Can we go right to 5.50? Or what is the best CFW to install?
    Last edited by Orakil; 10-23-2009 at 12:38 AM.

Member PSP User
    You'll need to install 5.00 M33-6 first which you can do via Hellcats, which is supplied in that Tut. Then IF you want you can google Xgen for a installer to take you to 5.50 Gen-B2 and then install to 5.50 Gen-D.

5.00 M33-6 is fine and you will still be able to play the new games with a little program to decrypt it. If you go to 5.50 Gen-D you don't need to patch any new games and everything will play instantly, but it was just released yesterday and may still be some bugs. Anyways the choice is yours....Have Fun!

OK something new, a decrypter program. What do you suggest? Do they work for all games or are here specific programs? This is turning out to be a good night.

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orakil View Post
    OK something new, a decrypter program. What do you suggest? Do they work for all games or are here specific programs? This is turning out to be a good night.
    yes it does, and heres what i suggest. gen D doesent need the decrypter, my cozen came over for a bit a little wilhe ago and wanted to play fifa 10, gen D crashed on team select(other issue with other game be there), so i went and updated to 6.10 ofw cause i dident want to go trough the trouble of that decrypter shit. but if you do use it, use it on gen B2, i hear its more stable with it. just to let you know some problem ive had with it, may not happen to everyone, its your choice on what to do now

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

Member PSP User
    If you decide to stay at 5.00 M33-6 or 5.50 Gen-B2 then you will use this link to get the decrypter that you will need to play the newer games. Please replace "DOT" with actual .'s since I can't post links yet

wwwDOTpspmodDOTcom/forums/psp-general/57960-guide-how-play-games-needing-5-55-ofw-any-cfwDOThtml

I have been racking my brains all night trying to figure this one out.
    Everything goes smoothly until I start running Hellcat Recovery.
    I get to the third set up page to run M33, it opens the next screen
    and I have a critical error message. No, of course I didn't write it down..
    I have reformatted, down loaded new files, but I keep getting the same error.

I'm spent for tonight. We'll give 'er another go in the moring. Thanks all.

OK, looks like I missed copying and renaming the 5.00 file to the Root on my PSP. All is well. I am now running 5.00 M33-6. Next: upgrade to 5.50...Thanks for the help everyone. Let's see how the upgrade goes, then onto game "reviews". Shold be another good day.
    Last edited by Orakil; 10-23-2009 at 01:52 PM.

Member PSP User
    Not entirely sure what step is the third, but should work fine. Do you have the official firmware file renamed 500.pbp in the root of the ms? If you don't get it from Goku's sig.

Edit: Don't speak of downloading games, that would be piracy, and piracy is not condoned.
    Last edited by Cigarette; 10-23-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarette View Post
    Not entirely sure what step is the third, but should work fine. Do you have the official firmware file renamed 500.pbp in the root of the ms? If you don't get it from Goku's sig.

Edit: Don't speak of downloading games, that would be piracy, and piracy is not condoned.
    You are correct. Post edited.

5.50 Gen-B2 installed, now on to the decrypter. Yes, it will be a very good day indeed.