Thread: Hello all, new person here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Hello all, new person here 
    Junior Member PSP User
    Hello everyone, names Danny.

Had a psp 3000 for a bit now and only just realised you can hadd homebrew to it!

So i warn you all, there might be some questions as to put it blunt, im useless! Give me a car engine and i will fix it in seconds, anything wth this sort of thing, useless lol!

All i wanna do is play my old ps1 games on my psp and read comics i have in CBR format, so i hope thats not too hard lol.

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    what firmware?

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

Hookah Hog PSP Elite Hacker Sennin's Avatar
    Just follow the rules and the ban hammer will stay in any mod's back pocket.
    NO PIRACY!

Welcome

Junior Member PSP User
    Yeah man, i have a stack of old PSX games here that i refuse to buy again lol! I just wanan play metal gear when i go away next year and be able to take my comics with me too.

I will be installing that chickhen thingy hopefully, just reading up on it as much as i can at the moment to see if my computer monkey brain will accept how to do it.

As i say, i have some CBR files of my Graphic Novels i own, but taking like 15 books away with you is a huge effort, so id like to if poss run something that allows me to read them on my psp and play some of my old psx games.

So in an answer to the first post, i have 5.02 on mine at the moment, so all nice and easy by the sounds of it.

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    ya, should work then, you better pay attention to what your doing so you dont update to 5.50 or higher

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

Elite Bullshitter PSP Elite Hacker Jubbabubba's Avatar
    Updating to 5.03 Then installing ChickHen: Download and extract: PSP Downloads | 5.03 Firmware Update to your X:PSP/GAME/UPDATE folder, then run to get to 5.03 Ofw. *Create the UPDATE folder*

Next download: PSP Downloads | ChickHEN Homebrew Enabler R2 and extract ChickHen R2. H.Bin to the root (Base of your MS), and the contents of the SLIM/ChickHen Folder to your Psp's Picture folder.

After you have that on your stick, go into the System menu in the psp and restore default settings (Leave the psps name as default), then turn off UMD Cache and Umd auto load. After that go into your pictures and try to run ChickHen.

ChickHen can take many attempts to get going, just keep trying. When it looks like it glitches and restarts, that means that it worked. If it just goes black and turns off, it failed again. :P

CFW: For Cfw you have 2 choices, Cfw Enabler V3.60 :PSP Downloads | Custom Firmware Enabler v3.60, or 5.03 Gen-B:PSP Downloads | Custom Firmware 5.03 GEN-B. *Gen-B is probably more up to date* *

Maintaining CFW: Cfw for 3ks and unhackable 2k's are not a permanent thing. If you turn the psp off, then you lose the cfw and have to start all over again (To avoid this the psp is put in standby mode by simply flicking the power switch rather than holding it down). But, you can somewhat avoid this with an app. see this thread : http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-gen...-psps-off.html

Installing Popsloader: To play your psx games, you're going to need a popsloader, see this thread: easy popsloader installation setup

Once you have Popsloader, you'll need this site to see which PSX games require which Pops: PSX on PSP Compatibility List - TheGamersPress

Ripping Psx games: You're going to have to Rip your PSX games from your disks onto your comp.
    Download and install this first: Thank you for downloading Alcohol 52% FE from Download.com

1. Put Ur original PSX game cd into Ur cd/dvd drive.
    2. Open Alcohol 52% and click "Image Making Wizard" from the list on the left.
    3. Tick the box that says "Read Sub-Channel Data from current disc".
    4. From the Datatype drop-down list, select "Play Station".
    5. In the Image Name box, enter the name of the game. This will be the name of Ur ISO file.
    6. From the drop-down list on the right, choose "CloneCD Image File".
    7. Finally, choose a place to save the ISO file in the folder selector, and click Start.
    Converting ripped Isos to Eboot.Pbp format: Eboot format is the required format for a Psp to play psx games. After you have your Isos, in order to convert them to Eboot format, you're going to have to download one of many converters, this one should do well : PSP Downloads | Simple Popstation GUI v2.21 Beta Download and to a folder on your desktop. After that run the .exe, Use the browse for PSX Image File, find your iso, then select your output files destination. Hit the Go button & wait. After the Eboot.PBP file is created, stick it in a Folder, then stick that Folder in your Psps game folder -> X:PSP/GAME/<Folder>/Eboot.PBP

To run, go into your game sections memory stick and click on your psx game while holding the Right trigger to enter your Pops menu.

Junior Member PSP User
    wow cheers for that!! Im going to have to go have a sleep after this i think! I might have to try to find someone local for some help haha!

Right time to get things started then, cheers for all that again, i will search for the comic reader a bit later once i have this all sorted out

Just to add, what CFW is better to use for a n00b like myself?
    Last edited by Danny_boy85; 12-11-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    You can only use 5.03GEN. It is currently the only custom firmware that can be installed onto any PSP with an unhackable motherboard.

There's Cfw Enabler V3.60 as well.

Once you have all that shit installed, you can try Bookr:PSP Downloads | Bookr v8.1

That may be able to read your comics.

Junior Member PSP User
    Jesus christ, thankyou for all this mate!!! Legend.

Im now piss worried about all this stuff, im hoping it all becomes self explanetry when i do it, i looked into the popsloader and it sounds worrying with it overwriting files etc. Oh well, we shall see how we get on! I might end up with a very expensive paperweight lol!

Don't worry about screwing anything up with Pops, when talking about overwriting there, it has only to do with a text file that regulates apps and such for the psp. No chance of fucking it up.

Junior Member PSP User
    Right, we have chickenhen thingy up and running, now the Firmware. . . . looking for proper spanners explanation lol!

One sec i'm about to edit my first post. You can go from ChickHen to Cfw Enabler V3.60 (5.03 Mhu cfw) or 5.03 Gen-B(Full).

Junior Member PSP User
    well i have just installed 5.03a, but with b do i just copy the eboot file to the main MS boot folder? or does it go in a certain folder as i just removed the "files" folder as per the instructions?

Worked it out lol i told you im useless!!!

Right, now the magic non shut down thing and then on to pops thingy, seriously i need a drink, i crapping my pants pmsl!
    Last edited by Danny_boy85; 12-11-2009 at 06:32 PM.

For 5.03 Gen-B, download, then extract to the root of your MS, merging all files.

Or extract the 5.03 Gen-B folder to your PSP/GAME.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast