Thread: I'm a complete noob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 I'm a complete noob 
    Well hello everybody

I have managed to get one of the original PSPs, a Fat one? PSP1002.
    I have no idea of it's history and very little idea about them in general.
    It seems to have a few issues and I'm still trying to figure out what all the buttons do. If I turn off the display I can't get it back on.
    It looks like it still has the original MemoryGate Stick of 32MB size.

Mucking around with it then I managed to pull up an "M33 VSH" Menu and just playing around I hit reset device and it seemed to freeze up.

I am thinking I need to wipe everything clean and start from scratch.

I'll head off into the beginners section and try to work out what's going on with this thing.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    sounds like you're really going to town on it...but if you're getting an M33 Vsh menu, you have custom firmware on it...

try this if it's freezing or frozen...remove your battery, then replace it...see if the main screen is on, then go to the far left and under system settings, see what firmware you're actually running.

give us a better idea of what you got going on with the psp...
    [CENTER]

When I go to system information it has Software: 3.71 M33-2

If I try to enter a new nickname it is locked on a key and I can't enter a new name.

ok, you can try this...same place, system settings...

go to "restore defaults"...see if that works...if not, we can go other routes, but i have to start working over here...so try the restore 1st

then you can try my guide in my signature, says "my ultimate gen guide"...you can do a few things, but i want you to do this only for now, follow the section of it that has the Hellcats info.
    the section starts off saying "2nd case: you have no pandora mms handy:
    Hellcats recovery flasher: flash install 5.00m33-6 or you can also use hellcats to change your battery into a pandora...that will be listed after the hellcats flash steps."

you only want to run hellcats to install 5.00m33-6 (best m33 firmware anyway), you can choose to restore defaults there too and it's very recommended...then try your settings

once you have hellcats, you can also try making a magic stick but your 32mb isn't going to cut it, you need at least a 512mb, but Hellcats should clean you up just fine by itself...good luck, post up what happens and if i don't get back to you fast enough, someone else will, most likely Jubbabubba.

he knows his shit too and can guide you further since i'm logging off to start working...
    Last edited by goku2778; 02-05-2010 at 12:15 PM.
    [CENTER]

Thank you, greatly appreciated.
    I'm thinking the memory cards for the PSP are a unique size? I have a 2GB MicroSD that I can use.

Just asked my girlfriend and I have permission to do whatever I want with this bad boy.

It locks up everytime I try to exit the M33VSH Menu.
    I also have no idea what the password is for it, hopefully that won't affect much.

EDIT; when trying to type stuff in, such as SSIDs, it seems as though the "L" button is stuck on.
    I have suspicions that this case has been opened, what's the chance something has been busted?
    Last edited by Borrowed; 02-05-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker seagrtj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borrowed View Post
    Thank you, greatly appreciated.
    I'm thinking the memory cards for the PSP are a unique size? I have a 2GB MicroSD that I can use.
    The PSP uses Pro Duo memory cards. There is an adapter called a Photofast CR-5400 that you can put 2 MicroSD cards into for a total of 32G. You can get them from DealExtreme.com for $6, and they ship free worldwide. Since you already have a MicroSD this would be a good choice. It takes about 2 weeks though for the shipping.

Goku I followed your hellcats guide, it was frustrating! there's definitely something not right about this PSP.
    Seemed just like your 10 year old PC that you just need to get rid of.
    I successfully installed the CFW and now it's hanging on the screen that says;

** HELLCAT's CFW Recovery Flasher **
    --------------------------------------
    formatting flash0:/....
    nah, just kidding ;-p see you!

Quote Originally Posted by seagrtj View Post
    The PSP uses Pro Duo memory cards. There is an adapter called a Photofast CR-5400 that you can put 2 MicroSD cards into for a total of 32G. You can get them from DealExtreme.com for $6, and they ship free worldwide. Since you already have a MicroSD this would be a good choice. It takes about 2 weeks though for the shipping.
    Thanks for the information

EDIT; I'm getting the 80410A0B error code :/
    google has some ways to fix it, just wondering what you guys think...
    Last edited by Borrowed; 02-05-2010 at 01:42 PM.

wow...it's really not hard to follow, but you may have to make a magic stick and flash it with a pandora...

so when you flashed it with hellcats, did it hang on you or when you tried to exit it only??? cause that message is when you leave the program.

you may just have to order a pandora off of dealextreme.com for 6$ and then make a magic stick and really flash it and fix it up...sorry man, whoever gave it to you effed it for you.

you can make a magic stick out of your 2g card you said you have and make a pandora with your psp and hellcats if it's not frozen on you, it's up to you though and what the psp is doing.

edit...hellcats:

download it
    extract it
    place ONLY the Recovery folder into you game folder
    download the 500.pbp file and place that into the Recovery folder (from hellcats)

then go to your games, run hellcats...hit agree, choose to install the cfw of the above selected (which should say 5.00)...that's it

to make a pandora:
    open up hellcats, agree, very last option on the bottom will say make battery into pandora...choose it, it will convert it, then exit and power down...you now have a pandora battery...

to reverse it, just do the same thing but without the battery installed, use the AC cord, once the psp is on the main screen, install the battery again then open hellcats and this time it will say make battery normal again.
    Last edited by goku2778; 02-05-2010 at 03:09 PM.
    [CENTER]

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say the guide was at fault.
    This PSP just seems to lock up strangely.

It was frustrating because it wouldn't even get past the bit where you accept the risks of running the program. I turned it off and loaded it up again and it looks to have installed.
    It is still acting as thought the L button is held down but it stops if I button bash for a bit, then as I'm typing it locks on again.

So now I should have CFW 5.00 running at current, yes?
    then I need a Magic Memory Stick to upgrade to GenD2?

L
    Go to recovery by holding down R trigger while you power up. Now see if any plug-ins are enabled and if there are, then disable them.

no worries, i didn't take it as bashing at all...the wow was for your issues...

so now it says "5.00m33-6" in your system settings??
    if so, that's good!

so your left trigger is sticking physically?? you have to hit it to get it to work, from what i read...

you can open it up and check it, it's fairly easy...you can even see if it were opened prior by opening the battery compartment, remove the battery, if the warranty label is removed (you see 4 screws), it was opened up...

you may just have to fiddle with the button when open...

to open:
    remove all the screws in the battery compartment
    remove the 2 screws on the back of the psp opposite side of battery compartment
    remove bottom screw on under side of psp

then just pop off the faceplate and check out the L button

edit...and no magic stick needed for upgrading to D3, you can go directly from m33-6 by following the D3 part at the bottom of my guide and do what El Guapo said too with the plugins
    [CENTER]

L
    Bro, he also said that it would freeze while typing, I dont know if he knows if he's on 5.00m33 or not??. I suggested the plug-ins because sometimes there is that one that will screw things up. P.S. what kinda work do you do Goku, that you always seem to be online???

oh really? never knew of such a plugin...good point/catch

i'm also thinking that he may need to idstorage repair it if all else fails him, thought hellcats would straighten it out if it was a flash problem...
    [CENTER]

L
    Well the plug-in thing might just be compatability issues. I have noticed that if you have multiple plug-ins sometimes, you will get unexplained freezes or crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
    Well the plug-in thing might just be compatability issues. I have noticed that if you have multiple plug-ins sometimes, you will get unexplained freezes or crashes.
    gotcha...that's why each of my memory cards has their own purpose/plug ins
    [CENTER]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast