Thread: New user saying Hi, and Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New user saying Hi, and Thanks!! 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP T0mcat's Avatar
    Hey all, just thought I'd introduce myself, possibly ingratiate myself into the community here :P

I also wanted to take this opportunity to thank all the contributors to this site. I'm some what of an impulsive person and suddenly decided to get into portable gaming, and thus bought a PSP. before buying the system I did a really quick check online to see what was on offer and found this site and it's fantastic guides (particularly /58941-psp-hacking-dummies-every-guide-psp-newbie-would-ever-need.html) by 'thesexyone' which led to to decide on an original PHAT 1000.

Within two days (after some mild complications with the purchased system, which i had replaced by EB) I had my new system fully functioning (managed to luck out and get a system with an early firmware (4.10/4.00 i think)) upgraded to CFW 5.50 GEN-D3. I didn't even have to wait months for a pandora battery to get shipped from DX (which i also learnt about here, thansk again!) or track down someone else locally who had a system that could pandorize or flash my system. Within a week I had all my PSX games converted and running, and have since found a bunch of useful Homebrew and tips to running a Custom PSP.

So my thanks goes not only to the Moderators and senior members of the site but everyone who has contributed. it's a fantastic community here. In fairness I'm no idiot and not completely ignorant when it comes to working with systems or modding (more below), but I'm also not a programmer and had no experience (particularly current) in regard to what i was working with here. But as i said a few days of browsing and I believe I know every thing i need to (at least for now, and to having the PSP running accordingly), honestly I don't understand people who come on here and still have stupid questions or don't get it. No offence, but come on, if you can read and have a basic, basic understanding of how programs work, then there is no reason you shouldn't be able to figure out anything that you're not sure about.... so I promise I won't be one of those 'noob' question people who A) insist on calling them selves 'noobs' or 'n00bz' or whatever and B) ask either obviously redundant, ignorant, lazy or blatantly illegal questions. We all know that modding exists in a some what grey area of consumer rights vs. patent/copyright rights, and as such piracy and infringements do happen, but to put the forum in a position where it is liable for your statements or actions is irresponcible. which is exactly what happens when people start posting about it. not to mention that there are at least a few other forums where piracy seems blatant and indifferent, so if you do really have to ask questions, why not save the home brew and modding Qs for here, and go over there for all things underground? not that it's what i do..... :S

so anyway, Hi and thanks again. I've included a little about myself and what not if anyone is interested. looking forward to getting to know some of you guys... and learning how to ignore the ignorance of the rest :P

My name is Tom, I'm a 22 year old Psych & Journalism student in Melbourne, Aus. who has a tendency to procrastinate from my work by playing games and reading forums. never been a big portable gamer, sticking primarily to console and PC gaming... my gaming history has pretty much gone (if this works):

<------------------------>PC<-------------------->PC/Laptop
    Sega MS <--->PSX(modded)<---------------------->Xbox(modded)
    <----------->Wii
    <-------->Xbox 360 (partners)
    <->PSP

So suffice to say i have a bit of experience with gaming and even a bit of modding, though as it's not something i do very often. unlike most gamers (both around me and in forums that I've seen so far), I was never a Nintendo fanboy... seems to put me at a bit of a disadvantage. I also haven't kept up with anything Sony since the original system... to be honest as much as I enjoy the Playstation (R) franchise, I don't really have any time for Sony's business practises or products.... but that's not for here....

So anyway I'm now completely infatuated with my PSP 1000, bought it (said to be) Sony refurbished from EB for a very modest amount, and considered it a bargain even before realizing that I was able to relive my early teenage years replaying my PSX games, as I still have my system and two wallets of games, but never quite got around to actually setting up the system as it seemed all too much hassle for too little outcome, you know, taking over the tv, realizing how bad the graphics were... made worse by the fact that it's getting stretched over a big LCD... but to be able to play all these games on a portable system with all the same controls (functionally) on a screen that makes the graphics still look decent.... I'd have paid just for that functionality let alone the PSP titles and video/audio player... so I can safely say I'm very happy with this system.

I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way...

Senior Asshole PSP Elite Hacker cowboycalstar's Avatar
    um....wow...hi...welcome to our forum

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker seagrtj's Avatar
    you lost me at Hey all,......

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    god damn, just say hi next time.

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Jccage's Avatar
    Welcome.

/filler
    Hacking Basics, And how to do it. Click here.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP |TA|SolidSnake's Avatar
    Pfft Id take some personal information about a person other then the normal.....

LOLZ I GOTZ PSP CAN I HAXZOR IT I KNOW PPLZ SAID I CANT BUT I WANT TO PUT ISO AND STUFF CAN U GIVE LINKS LOLOLOL

Welcome to the site =)

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    Welcome Tom. Please read the rules though, the part of your post I've removed is not appropriate with what you were suggesting.

Apple Fanboy PSP Mad Hacker MadMan's Avatar
    That is more than hi but welcome!

▲ ▲

Financially Raped PSP Elite Hacker thesexyone's Avatar
    lol, within all that, i got mentioned. it's in there all right

welcome dude

btw, since you obviously read and write so much, spare some suggestions on bettering my thread?
    Last edited by thesexyone; 02-24-2010 at 09:16 PM.
    TRY PSP HACKING FOR DUMMIES!
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/sony-ps...tml#post514825

...even a noob like you can click the link...

I apologize if my post was overkill, but it was either write that or go back to work... I think I mentioned I have a thing with procrastinating at great length (this is nothing, you should see some of my posts on actual issues I get fired up about).

not sure what I posted that was inappropriate, but ok, whatever, I had no intention of doing anything of the sort... if it was talking about the titles that I've been able to transfer and play again then... well as i said.

also not sure what i think about people bitching about the info or length of my post... one i don't believe anyone except maybe a moderator has to read it... and two there are like a million and two introduction posts, most probably only a few words in length and don't really get check on after the person says hi... seems kinda redundant to me. so i figure if i'm actually going to bother with an introductory post then I may as well do it properly. in saying that I will attempt to be less verbose in the future.

will catch you guys in the forums, and Thesexyone, I'll send you a PM in the near future with some feedback (am back at uni next week, lots of procrastination time then).

Cheers,

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T0mcat View Post
    I apologize if my post was overkill, but it was either write that or go back to work... I think I mentioned I have a thing with procrastinating at great length (this is nothing, you should see some of my posts on actual issues I get fired up about).

not sure what I posted that was inappropriate, but ok, whatever, I had no intention of doing anything of the sort... if it was talking about the titles that I've been able to transfer and play again then... well as i said.

also not sure what i think about people bitching about the info or length of my post... one i don't believe anyone except maybe a moderator has to read it... and two there are like a million and two introduction posts, most probably only a few words in length and don't really get check on after the person says hi... seems kinda redundant to me. so i figure if i'm actually going to bother with an introductory post then I may as well do it properly. in saying that I will attempt to be less verbose in the future.

will catch you guys in the forums, and Thesexyone, I'll send you a PM in the near future with some feedback (am back at uni next week, lots of procrastination time then).

Cheers,
    Ignore the people moaning about the length, they'll moan at anything if they're too lazy to read it.

The part I removed is because you seemed to be hinting that you would be able to share those games, which would be against the rules. If that wasn't your intentions and you were just showing off what games you had I apologise, but that is the vibe I picked up.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker seagrtj's Avatar
    @ OP - call it a warm welcome, this is a rough crowd around here. They like picking on the new guy, trust me it would have been alot worse if you would have mentioned the unmentionable around here.
    Just make sure when you post your first question or problem to include all the detailed info like you did in this post because then they will raz you again for not giving enough info....damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Financially Raped PSP Elite Hacker thesexyone's Avatar
    no problem with big text lol, better than

"hi i'm new, so now that im here, stupid, dyslexic and have absolutely no knowledge of google, how do i hack my psp?"

and then the trolls come.

i'm in college myself btw, so you're double welcomed from me
    TRY PSP HACKING FOR DUMMIES!
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/sony-ps...tml#post514825

...even a noob like you can click the link...

Oh I swear I have no intention of sharing my PSX games... I'm way too lazy to upload them or make a torrent or anything. I should have prefaced that list by saying that I'd been looking at the list PSX compatibility list, and being a very late comer to the field, and an Aussie, I noticed that there either wasn't much (if any) reference to PAL versions of games (which I'm sure you all know we use PAL over here), nor was there much of an update in regards to running them on the latest CFW (5.50 D3). Of course I could just go over there and update the entries myself... but as i mentioned... lazy. Was more to say that all of these games do indeed work, least as far as I've tested, which is to say, not all that much as I've only had the system a few weeks (again why i didn't post on the compatibility list as people seem to get irritable with posts that say a game works when they've only been played for 10 minutes.)

In saying all of that. Is the PSP modding scene still particularly active? I know a few of the main players (dark_alex etc.) have taken a leave of absence, and that many of the apps have been Finalized (i.e. no more updates). Just wondering if I am indeed really late to the party or if it's just a quiet period? It's not a big deal as I'm more than happy with the apps and functionality of my PSP now, just figured it's worth expecting anything much more to be developed.

anyway, cheers for the kind words guys. will see you round the forums.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    OP - good on ya for doing the research first and figuring it all out by your own wits by following the right path to install cfw. the guides, the forums provide the most obvious methods and google fills in the rest. the etiquette required by this forum is the same standard expected of all users. research first and follow the rules. including the not condoning game and movie piracy, etc. basically, it shouldn't be that hard as other n00bs find it...

from my own experience, whatever questions i have are typically asked and answered before...

my enjoyment of the psp on a general level is the tit-for-tat stuff which goes on between sony and the homebrew community. the carrot and stick approach adopted by sony is where they release new features sets but patches previous exploits by releasing the latest OFW (system software version). on the other side, the homebrew community respond to find new exploits (or further develop the exploits) to enable psp to run homebrew. thus, the developments in the homebrew scene reflects this battle and the situation is fluid as far as developments are concerned.

Oh - welcome aboard.

So I find it fruitless to ask questions like when will the developments occur. It happens when it happens and it happens as it happened. As you stated earlier, i am impressed with the homebrew creators with their efforts in making the psp a powerful portable multimedia player which is capable of doing stuff which Sony doesn't provide.
    Last edited by FNQer; 02-26-2010 at 09:05 PM.
    TA-081 (neur0n 6.60ME v1.8) + TA-085v2 (neur0n 6.60ME v1.6) + Brite (OFW5.03) + PSP-Go + Phat PS3 40GB/FW3.15 + PlayTV

NDS Lite + DSi

iPod Touch 1G/16GB 3.1.3JB + iPod Touch 4G/32GB 4.2.1JB

MSI Wind U100/2gb ram/500 gb hdd/WinXP Pro SP 3/Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Q6600/Foxconn Mars P35/4 GB DDR2/8800GTS-512/Vista +

Acer A500 + HTC IC + Acer5750G/Win7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast