Thread: New User / New to Homebrew - Proposition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New User / New to Homebrew - Proposition 
    I bought my PSP Slim about 2 years ago... its the Red God of War edition and I got it around launch (summer 2008). Unless I'm WAY off that means its a 2000, with a v.8.2 mobo

I've loved it and found that portable gaming is one of my favorite ways to go back and replay old games (really, are you going to sit down in your living room and replay SotN? Probably not, but on the bus? Hells yes!) and I've taken advantage of some of the PSN downloads of old PSX games.

But its just not enough, I'm very interested in the HomeBrew options for PSP and started reading up on this a few weeks ago.

I haven't run a mobo tester yet, but from what I've read the GoW edition generally has the v8.2, which seems to be is a good thing when it comes to homebrew.

Unfortunately, I've only become interested in homebrew and open firmware etc a few weeks ago, which means that yes, I have the dreaded 6.20 firmware installed.

I have no qualms about buying a MMS / Pandora battery and I know that the 1000 can firmware downgrade and that the 3000 can't... I haven't heard conclusively about the 2000s though. So I'm hoping I can get help here.

Something that I'd like to do would be to photo-document the whole process from the ground up and post the whole thing somewhere in a thread to help out other noobz like myself.

Would anyone be interested in helping out?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trashandsuicide View Post
    I bought my PSP Slim about 2 years ago... its the Red God of War edition and I got it around launch (summer 2008). Unless I'm WAY off that means its a 2000, with a v.8.2 mobo

I've loved it and found that portable gaming is one of my favorite ways to go back and replay old games (really, are you going to sit down in your living room and replay SotN? Probably not, but on the bus? Hells yes!) and I've taken advantage of some of the PSN downloads of old PSX games.

But its just not enough, I'm very interested in the HomeBrew options for PSP and started reading up on this a few weeks ago.

I haven't run a mobo tester yet, but from what I've read the GoW edition generally has the v8.2, which seems to be is a good thing when it comes to homebrew.

Unfortunately, I've only become interested in homebrew and open firmware etc a few weeks ago, which means that yes, I have the dreaded 6.20 firmware installed.

I have no qualms about buying a MMS / Pandora battery and I know that the 1000 can firmware downgrade and that the 3000 can't... I haven't heard conclusively about the 2000s though. So I'm hoping I can get help here.

Something that I'd like to do would be to photo-document the whole process from the ground up and post the whole thing somewhere in a thread to help out other noobz like myself.

Would anyone be interested in helping out?
    All of the special edition PSP 2000s are hackable, except the blue Madden ones have a 50/50 chance. What firmware are you on?

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    he said 6.20 in the 4th or 5th sentance or paragraph what ever the hell it is. looks like shit on the psp.

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

Oh ok. Well then yes, you can just use a Pandora's battery and make your own MMS. You can order a pre-made Pandora's Battery (aka TOOL Battery) from dealextreme for about $7 with free shipping. It takes a while to ship, but it's worth it.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB

Is there any place that is more reliable/better quality? I was thinking I might buy a pandora batter/mms bundle or something from pandorabatterybuys but they said their stuff doesn't work on firmware over 5.02... where it seems that 5.03 is the standard hackable firmware... is there any advantage to using a storebought MMS over one you make yourself?

Also, I use my PSP pretty frequently for video and reading comics (using the stock image viewer)... I just convert the files and drop them into the right folder... mind you, I haven't done this since I've "upgraded" to 6.2... is this still possible with 6.2? Will it still be possible when its hacked?

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trashandsuicide View Post
    Is there any place that is more reliable/better quality? I was thinking I might buy a pandora batter/mms bundle or something from pandorabatterybuys but they said their stuff doesn't work on firmware over 5.02... where it seems that 5.03 is the standard hackable firmware... is there any advantage to using a storebought MMS over one you make yourself?

Also, I use my PSP pretty frequently for video and reading comics (using the stock image viewer)... I just convert the files and drop them into the right folder... mind you, I haven't done this since I've "upgraded" to 6.2... is this still possible with 6.2? Will it still be possible when its hacked?
    store bought mms is more then likely fake. make it yourself with a non-fake stick its better.

the firmware thing s bullshit. and pandorabatterybuys is a rip off.

get your shit first before you worry about this. one at a time.

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

A pre-made Pandora cannot be used as a normal battery, so it really doesn't matter how long that battery lasts as long as it does its job. You can't complain about $7.

LOL, not complaining, just wondering. Ok, I'll order the pandora battery tonight... I guess I'll check back in here when I get it?

Another quick question regarding creating MMS... I have two memory cards, a 2 G and an 8 G, obviously it would be best to be able to use both as storage... would I need to use both as MMS? Or just one MMS, wipe the other, and it'll do it all on its own based on the CFW?

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    only one needs to be a mms, and that's just for the mod once done format and you're good to go.

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Modder Of The Dark Arts PSP Elite Hacker R()H@X's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Product F(RED) View Post
    A pre-made Pandora cannot be used as a normal battery, so it really doesn't matter how long that battery lasts as long as it does its job. You can't complain about $7.

correction:with the proper mms files loaded onto your stick and left on your stick a pandora can load normal unless you hold the L trigger or whatever button you used for default(falls back to my guide for reference on that)

sorry red but i had to correct that severely.(goes back to playing on psp normally with a pandora battery) ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Geek9 View Post
    only one needs to be a mms, and that's just for the mod once done format and you're good to go.
    Yup. Basically an MMS is just a regular memory card that's formatted and has a few files added to it. You should have no problem backing up and restoring your data from and to the card when you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by ƒR()§†H@X View Post
    correction:with the proper mms files loaded onto your stick and left on your stick a pandora can load normal unless you hold the L trigger or whatever button you used for default(falls back to my guide for reference on that)

sorry red but i had to correct that severely.(goes back to playing on psp normally with a pandora battery) ;P
    I know there's a way to use a Pandora as a normal battery, but I've never heard of holding L to do it. You need Booster's IPL or some shit like that. And the dealextreme pandora holds less charge than a normal Sony battery, so I wouldn't really recommend using it as a normal battery anyways.

Modder Of The Dark Arts PSP Elite Hacker R()H@X's Avatar
    oh i misread.i thought you meant a sony bqattery made into a pandora.ya the cheap pandora knockoffs i wouldnt try.i thought you meant a pandora made from a sony,sorry.and no the holding ls to load up the menu to use as a pandora.you dont hold any button for it to run normally,and you dont need boosters ipl to do this really.my guide is all you need.

if youve ever read my guide you will understand that.when i dissappeared for a bit though someone removed my guide from the guide section though.but personally its still the best guide to get any and all custom firmwares from original firmware with.i self test it and all the patches i make to it.the patches are made and setup and hosted by me on megaupload.the original app the guide was based around was not made by me though.i actually was one of the first to make a guide around rains maker app using his first and only multi app.no offense to you at all red.just making opinions and advice like i used to in the past.your suggestions are not that bad however
    Last edited by R()H@X; 02-26-2010 at 03:35 AM.

Phase One: Order Pandora... COMPLETE.

Phase Two: Wait for it.

Phase Three: Make an MMS.

Oh quick question.. I have two laptops... one running XP and the other 7... I've heard that MMS creation is easier on XP... is that true?

Elite Bullshitter PSP Elite Hacker Jubbabubba's Avatar
    The MMS makers we have available to us now work on just about anything really.

Windows: Run the program

Linux: Wine -> Program

Mac'n Crap -> Emulate Windows -> Program *I think* xD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast