11 26.83%

Thread: Poll : Have you ever used linux

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Poll : Have you ever used linux 
    Administrator PSP Elite Hacker admin's Avatar
    A simple poll yes or no

I have not used it, Got to use to windows

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    I never used it, all computers my brought me had windows, and only good one was Windows 98. Windows XP is very problematic for my last 2 computers, but Linux doesn't have great support for newer things.

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    Windows and mac are the only operating systems I've used. (linus is a kernel itself I know...) I have no problem with linux, actually I do with windows though, but because everything is done with windows now-a-days, I stick with it.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

Senior Member I Modded My PSP heatzone07's Avatar
    Well I have it installed on my PS3, I only use it to surf the net and type up the occasional report. Honestly theres not much you can do, because of its incompatibility with many apps. But its still nice to have.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Unforgiv3N's Avatar
    I Remember the First time i used it ~ 5-6 years ago and it removed all of my Hard Disk Data on Installation =( new versions are totally difference, you can run them as Live Mode, Just boot your PC with it, by now i like Ubuntu Linux, it's prefect for every job

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    You know I use Linux

Quote Originally Posted by heatzone07 View Post
    Well I have it installed on my PS3, I only use it to surf the net and type up the occasional report. Honestly theres not much you can do, because of its incompatibility with many apps. But its still nice to have.
    You mean the PS3 version of Linux isn't compatible with many apps, right? The PC/Mac versions are compatible with all kinds of stuff... incompatibility really hasn't been an issue to me, except for the gaming situation.

Quote Originally Posted by rick22 View Post
    I never used it, all computers my brought me had windows, and only good one was Windows 98. Windows XP is very problematic for my last 2 computers, but Linux doesn't have great support for newer things.
    Yeah, I feel you. That was true up until two or three years ago it seems. Distros like Ubuntu bring really great hardware compatibility. All the newest stuff works with Linux these days, the only exception is USB devices that need special drivers to run in Windows, and even those are starting to play catch up.

If you've got a spare CD-R you ought to give the Ubuntu 7.04 LiveCD a try to see if your hardware is compatible. If it works in the LiveCD it'll work on the actual install. Note that ATi/nVidia cards will not give 3D accel on a LiveCD/default install, this is by design on Ubuntu. The drivers are pretty easy to install though.
    Last edited by DarkED; 06-29-2007 at 03:13 PM.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP jamestanner's Avatar
    personally i like Suse 10.2 i currently run dual boot, vista & SuSE

FW: 3.40 OE-A, Games: 65 (30gb +) MSDuo: 8gb

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    i ran a few servers off mandrake and slackware for a while, and I'm playing with getting debian to run on a few old mac's , but i still prefer windows XP

Linux is a godsend for those who dont know. If you give Linux a try youll find out that Linux has a lot to offer. I use Ubuntu which IMO is the easiest transition OS out there to move away from microsoft. I still dual boot into vista if I have to but now that I got my gaming in line on LINUX I dont log back into windows. Trust me it takes some tweaking if you want the really cool stuff i.e. Compiz-Fusion. A lot of things work right out of the box. Some take some reading.

Unlike Windoze You have a Community who will help with anything, why?? because they believe in linux and what it can do for everyone. Ive already converted some and they love it. Plus you have apps like Wine and Cedega that help with those can't live without programs. I do everything on my Linux check it out. Here is a short list of what I do on a regular basis in linux almost daily

copy and burn DVDs
    play Cd's on Amarok (sweet app)
    play Guild Wars, Half Life 2
    Check out YouTube vids
    email
    Dowload using Bit Torrent
    Download using Frostwire
    Tease people with Compiz-Fusion
    Mod my PSP on Linux

I do a lot here. If you have a willingness to learn and want to leave windoze to the unimaginable give it a shot. I took a big chance with leaving just because I was fed up with the lack of free support (since I already bought the OS) when I had a problem. now I have Vista (Free lol) and Ubuntu and I rarely ever touch Vista its a resource hog. So I just wanted to share my take on Linux. Its not for just us geeks honestly. read up on it
    Last edited by draelee; 07-03-2007 at 12:18 PM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    I have used Ubuntu, but my video card keeps getting the Xserver error whenever I try to install..

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    i booted off the ubuntu live cd for about an hour, too much of a change for me.

Junior Member PSP User
    Hey everybody. Just found this site a few weeks ago when I picked up my psp, v 2.60, which I promptly downgraded and upgraded to 3.40 OE-A .

Anyway, I use Kubuntu 7.04 for 99% at home, and Windows 100% at work.

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    Oh, I have now!
    Puppy 2.15CE Final. And hopefully I'll get xubuntu working on my old computer soon too.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

Senior Member I Modded My PSP heatzone07's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkED View Post
    You know I use Linux
    You mean the PS3 version of Linux isn't compatible with many apps, right? The PC/Mac versions are compatible with all kinds of stuff... incompatibility really hasn't been an issue to me, except for the gaming situation.
    Yep, I should have clarified that...

Senior Member I Modded My PSP nigeluno's Avatar
    If Mass Pc builders weren't locked into putting Windoze as their OS and offered (Dell-hint,hint) a choice, you would see a lot more people using a Linux Distro OS, there are a lot of flavors out there, me, I use PCLinuxOS and I have not regreted it and yes there are Apps that will let you do windows in linux if you really can't break away. I do all of my work on my linux box and when i need to use Windoze for whatever reason I lanch VirtualBox and up pops my Virual PC running XP. If you have a short attention span then you are right, Linux isn't for you but if you are tired of spyware, virus, popups and all the crap that comes with windoze then give Linux a try
    Last edited by nigeluno; 07-26-2007 at 04:19 AM.
    God made man but the Moneys applied the glue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast