Thread: Ubuntu Apps You Might Not Know.

1. #1 Ubuntu Apps You Might Not Know. 
    Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    AUDIO/VIDEO

Hydrogen

An advanced drum machine for GNU/Linux. It’s main goal is to bring professional yet simple and intuitive pattern-based drum programming.

EasyTag
    A utility for viewing and editing tags for MP3, MP2, MP4/AAC, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, MusePack, Monkey’s Audio and WavPack files.

youtube-dl
    A small command-line program to download videos from youtube.com It requires the Python interpreter and is not platform specific.

Cowbell
    An elegant music organizer intended to make keeping your collection tidy both fun and easy. Cowbell can also snatch album art and rename your music like a pro. “You gotta have more cowbell”

ZynAddSubFx
    A opensource synthesizer capable of making a countless number of of instruments. Project started in 2002 and seems to be maintained up until 2005.

BUSINESS

KeyJnote
    Displays presentation slides but unlike openoffice impress or other similar apps, it does so ith style. Smooth alpha-blended slide transition are provided for the sake of eye candy + some very unique tools.

Meld
    A visual diff and merge tool. You can compare 2 or 3 files and edit them in place. You can compare 2 or 3 folders and launch file comparisons.

Basket Note Pad
    A multi-purpose note taking application that can easily take all sort of notes.

GRAPHICS

Agave
    A very simple application for GNOME desktop that allows you to generate a variety of colorschemes from a single starting color. It is free and licensed under the GPL license.

Feh

Simple image viewer at first glance but Feh has numerious features including:
    Simple image viewing, slideshow, fullscreen, index print creation, thumbnail browser, background setting, in-place editing

gcolor2
    A simple color selector that was originally based on gcolor, ported to use GTK+2 and how has a complely new UI.

Xara Xtreme

Powerful general purpose graphics program based on Xara Xtreme for Windows. Vist the website for more details.

INTERNET

Links2
    Graphical and text mode internet browser. It displays tables, frames, downloads on background, uses HTTP/1.1 keepalive connections and features Javascript. It graphics mode it displays PNG, JPEG, GIF, TIFF and XBM pictures, runs external bindings on others types, and features anti-aliased font, smooth image zooming, and aspect radio correction.

Deluge
    A bittorrent client, created using Python and GTK+ that is intended to bring a native, full featured client to GTK desktop environments such as GNOME and XFCE.

Ontv
    A gnome applet that uses xmltv files to monitor current and upcoming tv programs.

Torrent Flux
    TorrentFlux is a FREE PHP based Torrent client that runs on a web server. Manage all of your Torrent downloads through a convenient web interface from anywhere.

R Torrent
    An ncurses based command line torrent manager.

hellanzb
    hellanzb is a Python application designed for *nix environments that retrieves nzb files and fully processes them. The goal being to make getting files from Usenet (e.g.: Giganews Newsgroups) as hands-free as possible. Once fully installed, all thats required is moving an nzb file to the queue directory. The rest; fetching, par-checking, un-raring, etc. is taken care of by hellanzb.

juploadr

A cross platform, cross-site Photo uploader. Currently supporting Flickr and Zoomr it allos you to set all properties of a photo before you upload it.

centericq
    Text based and window driven IM interface that supports the ICQ2000, Yahoo!, AIM, IRC, MSN, Gadu-Gadu and Jabber protocols. Great IM tool if you can’t login to your x-system.

OTHER

Stellarium
    Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you would see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope.

GNU Solfege
    A free music education software. Use it to train your rhythm, interval, scall and chord skills. Smarten your ears!

Grism
    Grism is an open source stock market observation tool. It allows you to easily track the evolution of stock prices through watchlists, portfolios and charts. Grism uses Yahoo! Finance for its quote data.

dvdisaster
    This program will salvage all readable data off a damaged or corrupted dvd or cd and make an iso file so you can put that salvaged data onto a non damaged media source.

xdesktopwaves
    Cellular automata setting the background of your X Windows desktop under water. Windows and mouse are like ships on the sea. Each movement of these ends up in moving water waves.

SYSTEM

htop
    An interactive process viewer for Linux. It is a text-mode application (for console or X terminals) and requires ncurses. Tested with Linux 2.4 and 2.6.

Filelight
    Filelight creates an interactive map of concentric segmented-rings that helps visualise disk usage on your computer.

PcMan File Manager
    An extremly fast and lightweight file manager which features tabbed browsing and a user friendly interface.

Conky
    A lightweight system monitor that is highly configurable and is easily displayed and runs on your desktop background.

Tilda
    Similar to those video game drop down terminals, tilda allows you to have the same effect on your desktop.

YaKuake
    A simple KDE terminal emulator.

Zim
    Started in late 05′ Zim is a WYSIWYG text editor ritten in Gtk2-Perl which aims to bring the concept of a wiki to your desktop. Every page is saved as a text file with wiki markup. Pages can contain links to other pages, and are saved automatically.

Specto
    Specto is a desktop application that will watch configuarable events and then trigger notifications. Add a watch, forget it, and be notified.

This thread contained all the applications listed above. This is just condensed and filtered.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Nice thread, kudos to you!

I'm using YaKuake and loving it. I've got it set to the Tilde key so it responds just like the console in Quake/Unreal/Doom.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP whitelamp's Avatar
    If we had a karma system, I'd give you some.

Meld should come in handy in the following weeks- I'm going to be absent for 2-3 weeks to go to a writing/journalism program.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    There's another app I've gotta recommend.

Audacity. It's a sound editing app that is also multiplatform (Linux/Windows/Mac possibly) and it's similar to other professional sound editing apps. I use it all the time for mundane tasks like making my own ringtones and such.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Chris3d's Avatar
    I found this website earlier today through digg.....
    Props for making the thread though

Original Site: Little Ubuntu » Awesome Ubuntu/Linux Apps you might not know about
    Last edited by Chris3d; 07-07-2007 at 04:13 AM.