Thread: Wireless Help

1. #1 Wireless Help 
    Hello All,

I recently decided to install and use Linux next to my Windows XP install. I would like to have it as my main OS once I get comfortable with it, but I've been unable to connect to the internet since I'm using a wireless adapter. I've tried searching around, but have not found anything that worked for me yet. Here is some information about my setup:

-Ubuntu Studio 7.04 (UbuntuStudio.org)

-Linksys WMP54GS

-I believe Network Manager is installed, as I have a network icon in the top right corner.

-When I open it, it shows "Wireless Internet Connection", but when I configure it through Properties, it still doesn't connect.

-In Proerties, under security (or something like that) it only shows WEP, and I use WPA.

-I've installed ndiswrapper, but I haven't noticed any changes.

-My router was initially using WPA, but I have temporarily disabled it, and would like to be able to enable it again.

-It would be very troublesome to have to use a wired connection, and I would like to avoid that if at all possible.

-I can reinstall and start from scratch if it would be easier.

I am pretty new to Linux, so it is very possible I just overlooked something. Any help is appreciated.

-SacrificialArts

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    You sure you just didn't type in the correct ssid or something? If it's showing in network manager then it's probably working. Also, you really should be using the standard Ubuntu 7.04 install (NOT the studio install.) The studio install is maintained by the community and not by canonical, meaning it's going to have some older base packages than the real Ubuntu install. You can always install the studio apps on a normal Ubuntu install too.

To make it work with ndiswrapper you have to install ndisgtk (the gui frontend) and use the windows driver to install the card with ndiswrapper.

You need the .sys, .ini, .bin and .cab files.

Install it via ndiswrapper's gui and run this command from a terminal:

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

If it still doesn't work, buy another wireless card.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Chris3d's Avatar
    He is using the Ubuntu 7.04 install. He just downloaded the packages for Ubuntu Studio. I'm pretty sure he just needs to get ndiswrapper working correctly. something I have yet to do myself....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chris3d View Post
    He is using the Ubuntu 7.04 install. He just downloaded the packages for Ubuntu Studio. I'm pretty sure he just needs to get ndiswrapper working correctly. something I have yet to do myself....lol
    Eh that's not necessarily true. There actually is a distro CD of Ubuntu Studio that you can download, and that version has outdated packages.

In the new network manager you should be able to set your wireless card to 'Roam' mode... then click the indicator in the system tray to select a network.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Chris3d's Avatar
    If he's using the HD I helped him set up.....then he's just got the ubuntu studio packages on top of the official 7.04 install. He lives down the street :P

It's possible that he used the Ubuntu studio disc to start from scratch...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris3d View Post
    If he's using the HD I helped him set up.....then he's just got the ubuntu studio packages on top of the official 7.04 install. He lives down the street :P

It's possible that he used the Ubuntu studio disc to start from scratch...
    Ahh, I see now

Junior Member PSP User reconployer's Avatar
    Sorry but what is Linux?

Post Edit: Don't add your PSP history to every post. That's what signatures are for.
    -DarkED
    Last edited by DarkED; 08-13-2007 at 09:09 AM.
    A woman's advice is no great thing, but he who won't take it is a fool

PsP E1003 Black - 6.60 Pro-C2

Quote Originally Posted by reconployer View Post
    Sorry but what is Linux?
    Linux is an advanced operating system kernel. Generally the term is used to refer to the operating system itself. Linux as an operating system... well, it's a fully-featured complete operating system. It can replace or be installed alongside Windows. Most distributions of Linux are also fully open-source, meaning they are free to you, the user, to use how you wish. They are also free as in cost.

If you want to try Linux, this is the best way to do it: Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu