Thread: Puppy Help

1. #1 Puppy Help 
    Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    Okay, first of all I'm a complete idiot and well "noob" when it comes to linux.
    And because that, and the fact that I want to use linux, I'll try to give as many details as I can so here we go.

I'm trying to run Puppy 2.15CE Final via a live cd on a old computer of mine. Intel Pentium III Processor (866MHz), 128 MB RAM, 40 GB HD.

I downloaded the distro from puppylinux.org, Md5Sum'ed the download, and used BurnCDCC to burn the iso to a cd-rw. It seemed to have burned just fine, and the old computer booted it.
    Or started to...

It got through the first mounting part, but on the next...section of the boot, I guess, it got to show
    " Creating unionfs on (/initrd)/pup_new (to become ' / ')... " and it said that that operation was " done "
    Then it went to the next line, and just flashed an underscore at me ( _ ). It did so for a little over 5 minutes, then the screen just turned black.

I waited around on the black screen for a bit, and then after nothing happened, I tried it all again.
    Same exact thing, and it's currently on the black screen just sitting there.

What did I do wrong?

Oh, and I think that Puppy Linux was probably a good choice for my computer, b/c it's small and supposedly quick to boot, and "blindingly fast" to operate, and it has programs already in it for my nooby convenience. And the part about being able to save everything to the disk, so I can go to any computer and have everything on my home computer with me...
    But if a linux guru believes I should try the ____ distro, please feel free to help me out! Haha, thanks guys!
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    Well I never tryed Puppy linux, but you could try running DSL (Damn Small Linux) for older/slower pc's, that is really fast and only 50mb download, not sure how big on installtion but can't be too big or you can even try Ubuntu.

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    Update/bump, I can run the same exact cd on my laptop, but I'm still having trouble with it running on my old pc.

I think I'll be able to eventually get it on that pc though. It now goes past that, and lets me choose which version I want. If I pick the normal version, I get a blinking underscore for like at least 30 minutes...
    If I choose the older, easier-on-your-hardware version, it partially loads the X screen, and lets me select my monitor output, but then just stops after that.
    I'll get it though... I hope.

Oh, while I'm at it...
    I can't get puppy to connect. I tried common sense, tutorials, and then setting manually via "Static IP" and still nothing. When I scan for a connection, it tells me that there aren't any, and when I set it up manually, it just says it won't work...

I'm also currently downloading ubuntu 7.04 (for the second time) I hope this new download, and new burn will get it working for me. The first one burned alright and everything, but when I went to boot it up, it took forever and then eventually just stopped booting. I then tried it in safe graphics mode, and it wouldn't work either.
    So far, the "just works" version of linux... doesn't.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Sounds to me like it's conflicting with some of your hardware.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hetSwocheSola View Post
    Sorry this might be off topic.

My cat is getting old and peeing everywhere. grrrr!

I need to remove cat pee odor from a carpet. Does anyone no a good product or household remedy to remove cat pee from carpet?

thanks in advance.

chris
    look this thread is 2 years old dont bumps old threads
    Great sig made by Major zero

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Fayko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hetSwocheSola View Post
    Sorry this might be off topic.

My cat is getting old and peeing everywhere. grrrr!

I need to remove cat pee odor from a carpet. Does anyone no a good product or household remedy to remove cat pee from carpet?

thanks in advance.

chris
    sorry i know this would count as a bump but i had to. This guy is posting ona 2 year old thread asking how to get pee out of his carpet on a psp site? Wtf?