Thread: Which Linux version to start?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Which Linux version to start? 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP daest12188's Avatar
    reading this thread helped me in my decision. i have an older computer running xp, but xp runs like shit now. i have a great laptop running vista, so i'm thinking of switching the old comp to linux. as a computer science major, i think it would be fun to play around with and have as a "play around" computer or just for the hell of it. i am, however, confused as to which linux software i should look into getting and where i can get it. any help to get me started is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance for any advice.
    PSP HISTORY: 3.03 > 3.50 > 1.50 > 3.40 oe-a > 3.52 M33 > 3.52 M33-4 > 3.71 M33 > Lost my PSP > Found my PSP > 6.38 ME-2

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    Ubuntu, openSUSE, debian, fedora, or DSL..

DSL (Damn Small Linux) is good for slow computers, and is very small.

Try Ubuntu first, if not go with the others I listed.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    I'd start with Ubuntu. It's an easy distro to dive into.

Learning some Linux/UNIX is good for you, as a comp sci major you'll be using that knowledge in your career whether you take classes for it or not. UNIX is the father of all modern operating systems (except Windows - Microsoft likes to make it's own changes to everyone else's standard and then call THEIR version "The Standard" - this is why I hate Microsoft.)

thanks again for the help, would ubuntu 7.04 be a good choice? it's the current version that they have to download on their site... also, do i just download the .iso file from the site and burn it to a cd then load it on the comp i want to install on?
    PSP HISTORY: 3.03 > 3.50 > 1.50 > 3.40 oe-a > 3.52 M33 > 3.52 M33-4 > 3.71 M33 > Lost my PSP > Found my PSP > 6.38 ME-2

Yes, get 7.04. Yes, download the iso.

When you burn it, it's not as simple as just copying the .iso file to a disc. You need to use a program that can burn an iso correctly. Use Imgburn, it's free and easy.

Also, when you burn it, burn at the LOWEST possible speed.

Good luck.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Bamhsc's Avatar
    I'm going to format my hard drive soon (today or tommorow) and I was thinking of installing linux, can you tell me how i can go about installing ubuntu but also being able to dualboot into Windows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate-M.Lifnen View Post
    Plus, the advert is a girl eating snow...
    +1 for the snow.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Brock_Samson's Avatar
    Next few weeks be picking up a new laptop, removing vista from it and installing Ubuntu on it can't wait to really start war driving with a linux based laptop... ohhh.. the possibilities hehe.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamhsc View Post
    I'm going to format my hard drive soon (today or tommorow) and I was thinking of installing linux, can you tell me how i can go about installing ubuntu but also being able to dualboot into Windows?
    I had windows installed on my pc first, booted up with the Ubuntu Live Cd (i assume you will use ubuntu since everyone here uses it and its really good). The live cd will guide you through the process of partitioning you hdd, just make sure you give your xp and ubuntu partitions enough room. 10gb is the suggested minimum, but you will want more. After ubuntu is installed, reboot and you will see the Grub bootloader which lets you choose to boot either Ubuntu or Windows. Its actually really easy.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Bamhsc's Avatar
    When you say Live CD you just mean like the installation Ubuntu 7.04 burnt onto a CD right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate-M.Lifnen View Post
    Plus, the advert is a girl eating snow...
    +1 for the snow.

The ubuntu cd you can download from their site is called the live cd because you can run the operating system right from the cd. Its a combo test drive/installation cd.
    Download what you need from here: Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu
    Burn that image to a disc and boot from the cd. It will run Ubuntu without even installing it so you can see what its like. There is an icon on the desktop that lets you install it. Its a great installation process, very intuitive. If you have any questions dont be afraid to ask anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamhsc View Post
    Don't do it. You don't need to. All you have to do is resize your windows partition during the ubuntu install to make space for a ubuntu partition or two. Ubuntu needs to be installed AFTER windows anyways, so this works out.

i have NERO, so i shouldnt have a problem properly burning the iso file... would you say 4x speed is good for it?

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    Yes, probably. But, it really is better to try to use the lowest possible speed.
    The slower you go, the better your chances would be of burning it without errors.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

Just set it to something low like 1x, then go mow the lawn. Thats what i do if i am making dvd's and stuff.

ok i got ubuntu 7.04 downloading and i'll have it burned to a disk tonight

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast