Thread: WindowsXP to Ubuntu Transformation

1. #1 WindowsXP to Ubuntu Transformation 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Eh, I got bored, what can I say? Anyways, here it is:

^Click for fullsize.

Yes, I assure you that IS 'My Computer.' I managed to hide the drive letters and rename the CD/DVD drives by creating some custom registry keys. I got the Ubuntu cursor set too, along with the login screen and bootscreen. It didn't turn out all that bad.

Now I just gotta find something to replace RKLauncher and I'm set
    Last edited by DarkED; 08-08-2007 at 04:17 AM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    I want it. LOL

Amazing, good job.

I have a question for DarkED. I'm no newbie to PC's, but i have only ever used one operating system and that is Windows, which operating system out of windows and Ubuntu in your opinion is the best in terms of performance?

Funny Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Connolly View Post
    If god wanted us to fly, he would buy the tickets.

PSP History:- 2.80-> 3.03-> 1.50-> 3.02 OE-B-> 3.03 OE-C-> 3.40 OE-A-> 3.50

Quote Originally Posted by BlooD--WingS View Post
    I have a question for DarkED. I'm no newbie to PC's, but i have only ever used one operating system and that is Windows, which operating system out of windows and Ubuntu in your opinion is the best in terms of performance?
    For games I have to give it to Windows. For everything else, Ubuntu hands down.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker dejaynizmo's Avatar
    never heard of this... downloading now and installing on old HDD
    1st = 3.40 - 3.51 - Return to Wal-Mart
    2nd = 3.40 - Friend Breaks Nub - Retun to Wal-Mart
    3rd = 3.40 - 3.50 - 1.50 - 3.40 OE-C - 3.03 OE - 3.52 M33 - 3.52 M33-2 - 3.52 M33-3 - 3.52 M33-4 - BRICKED - UNBRICKED! - 3.52 M33-4

(\/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny.
    Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Brock_Samson's Avatar
    Love what you made.
    Now i wants it too haha.

Ubuntu is great for everything else than gaming on windows thats for sure. I laugh at windows hackers.

I can't use Ubuntu right now because my main wireless chipset is dead and the backup card I have doesn't work with Ubuntu. It also doesn't seem to like ndiswrapper. So right now I'm stuck on Windows until I can buy a new wireless card

At least this way I can FEEL like I'm using Ubuntu a little...

EDIT: Man, I'm a total asshole! I forgot to tell you guys how I did it.

Okay, first off you'll need the Human shellstyle. Get it here: Human for Windows by ~FioreSSj on deviantART The folder in that archive goes in /WINDOWS/Resources/Themes and you'll need the patched uxtheme.dll to use it. It's not hard to find, google is your friend

Now for icons. Download and install this then reboot (yes, you MUST reboot) - Tango System Patcher 2600 7.05 by ~vertigosity on deviantART

Okay, now you've got what would slightly resemble Ubuntu. You still need a few things. Let's get the cursors: Ubuntu "Human" Cursors by ~nordlicht on deviantART Follow the instructions on the DeviantArt page to install them, it's real easy.

We need Nautilus-style toolbars in Explorer. First we're going to download a free program called Styler, get it here: Download Styler 1.401 on CrystalXP.net - Explorer tools Now, we need a Ubuntu toolbar theme for Styler. Find it here: Ubuntu Human Toolbar by ~MaxFragg on deviantART

Now, we need the bootscreen. It's here: WinCustomize: Ubuntu by zirjoker for BootSkins We also need BootSkin to install that bootscreen, get it here, it's free: Stardock: BootSkins - Change your Boot screen

Finally... we need the login screen. Get it here: Ubuntu Logon by ~Lustmusket3000 on deviantART

Now we have the complete theme. If you want extras like the shadow and shading windows, get YzShadow (for shadows) and Winroll (for shade.)

And that's about it.
    Last edited by DarkED; 08-08-2007 at 09:24 PM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    dualbooting is alot easier
    1. partion hard drive with like 10gigs
    2. install on that partion
    3. done.

Update! I made a Ubuntu theme for ObjectBar.

You can download the bar here: Ubuntu v0.2 for ObjectBar 1.5 by ~DarkED on deviantART

It's not perfect but it's only the v0.1 release. After I learn more about ObjectBar skinning I'll be able to do all the detail work, like adding separators to the Places and System menus. As of right now it's fully usable though. This is my first ObjectBar skin so don't be too harsh

-v0.2 Update-
    *Fixed a minor eyesore with the mouseover effect on the Places and System menu.

-v0.1 Features-
    *Retains most functionality of the real Gnome panel.
    *Most elements of the Ubuntu theme are there.
    *Taskbuttons will dynamically resize, just like the real Gnome panel.
    *Applications menu is not complete, has been redirected to Startmenu Applications. Needs a good popup.
    *Places menu is complete, needs separators.
    *System menu is complete, needs separators and popup menus.

Here's what it looks like with the rest of the theme:

^Click for fullsize.

Quote Originally Posted by chinese people View Post
    3. done.
    All you do is come into my threads and argue or say "this is stupid." I already DO dualboot you idiot. I just like Ubuntu's look. So GET OUT OF MY THREAD.
    Last edited by DarkED; 08-09-2007 at 08:06 AM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chinese people View Post
    3. done.
    What if people like me, who cannot install ubuntu and want the look of it?

Good job DarkED, Downloading all the stuff now.

Update. The ObjectBar theme is now 100% complete:

I finished ALL the menus and changed the font to DejaVu (Gnome's default fontset.)

If you've downloaded the old version you need to redownload it. Get it here: Ubuntu v0.5 for ObjectBar 1.5 by ~DarkED on deviantART

MAKE SURE you download v0.5, NOT v0.4! Also be sure to read the readme or the details section on DeviantArt, it tells you the fonts you'll need and where each menu item under the Applications menu will take you

Quote Originally Posted by canadianbacon View Post
    Good job DarkED, Downloading all the stuff now.
    Thanks dude!

EDIT: You're not gonna believe this...

^Click for fullsize.

Yes, that's WindowsXP.
    Last edited by DarkED; 08-09-2007 at 12:33 PM.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP daest12188's Avatar
    amazing... i'm running vista, so i dont think it would work, but definitely good work on it. kudos to you
    PSP HISTORY: 3.03 > 3.50 > 1.50 > 3.40 oe-a > 3.52 M33 > 3.52 M33-4 > 3.71 M33 > Lost my PSP > Found my PSP > 6.38 ME-2

Heh, it's just Beryl/Compiz dunno which one you have but they both do the rotating cube desktop. It's nice to show off linux to windows users (especially vista, i feel so sorry for you guys). I got tired of the gnome desktop, so i've switched to KDE, once i'm done doing the custom colours, i'll upload a pic!
    ---

PSP: TA-082 | v3.40 > v3.50 | 1gb | 8Gmz
    -->MSN Messenger Guide

Senior Member I Modded My PSP daest12188's Avatar
    having vista isnt a big deal for me... its just on my laptop. my desktop is running ubuntu 7.04
    PSP HISTORY: 3.03 > 3.50 > 1.50 > 3.40 oe-a > 3.52 M33 > 3.52 M33-4 > 3.71 M33 > Lost my PSP > Found my PSP > 6.38 ME-2

Thanks everybody! You should know that my ObjectBar skin is at v0.6 now, and has many improvements. Look at the screenshot further down in this post or on the DeviantArt page to see it in action. You can get it here: Ubuntu v0.6 for ObjectBar 1.5 by ~DarkED on deviantART

Quote Originally Posted by Vip3rousmango View Post
    Heh, it's just Beryl/Compiz dunno which one you have but they both do the rotating cube desktop. It's nice to show off linux to windows users (especially vista, i feel so sorry for you guys). I got tired of the gnome desktop, so i've switched to KDE, once i'm done doing the custom colours, i'll upload a pic!
    Let me show you the latest screenshot:

^You'll have to excuse the fonts, I had ClearType turned off. Big no-no.

Look closely. Still think it's Linux? If you do, that's good - I've done my job well

That's not Linux in my screenshots dude - it's WindowsXP. I guess you haven't been paying attention We already know that Linux has compiz/beryl/compiz-fusion, so showing that off wouldn't be anything new. But getting WindowsXP to almost completely mimic Gnome, complete with the Gnome menu, the cube and multiple desktops? That's something. Especially since this is the first time it's been done so thoroughly. In fact, one of my friends said that besides the folder view in Explorer, it's so accurate that I don't even need the Ubuntu wallpaper anymore.

Everything you see at the top and bottom is my ObjectBar skin. Yes, all three Gnome menus are there and they are (basically) complete. Everything else is an icon pack, a wallpaper, styler, the Human theme port, and some registry tweaks.
    Last edited by DarkED; 08-13-2007 at 09:00 AM.