Thread: MP3 in linux.

1. #1 MP3 in linux. 
    Member PSP User
    I have an old box that I was going to mess around with. I ended up frying the motherboard so I bought a new one and got some RAM for it also. So, now it will end up being a pretty decent PC and I plan to install ubuntu on it. I've messed around with linux some already but mostly as a server.

I would like to turn this PC into a, sort-of, media center and I'm just wondering if I can play mp3s, mpg, avi, and other music/video formats within ubuntu.

Member PSP User
    Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Yes and more. It requires the install of addl. drivers / libraries, but Ubuntu is "top of the game" in handling this. If for some reason, Ubuntu doesn't add the necessary files, when you try to run, say, an mp3 file, just let us know. There seem to be plenty of people here that could help you out. I, personally, would be happy to walk you thru it. Also, the Ubuntu forums are excellent resources. Here's a link to a page that'll give you some more info.

"https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/musicvideophotos/C/index.html"
    *EDIT*
    Sorry, post count still isn't high enough for proper linking.

*EDIT #2*
    Sorry for all the edits, but, It just occurred to me, that you might have been talking about turning that computer into into something like Windows Media Center. If that's the case then you should probably check out
    "http://mythtv.org"
    or the live disk version:
    "http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html"
    Otherwise, if you are just wanting to play media files on your computer, then the Ubuntu info above, should get you where you want.
    Last edited by kmc77; 08-28-2007 at 04:14 PM.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    xmms
    mplayer
    xine

Member PSP User
    I'm thinking of installing ubuntu studio

Gotta get the power supply sometime this weekend. This was some OLD box that I was going to mess around with and now I've turned it into a nearly new PC. It'll probably be better than my main desktop, except for the 10 GB HDD. Will get a bigger HDD next.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    In the Ubuntu package manager (Synaptic or Adept, take your pick) there will be a package called "Ubuntu Restricted Extras" somewhere. Install that package and you'll be able to play pretty much everything. That package also includes Adobe Flash and Windows codec support (WMV/WMA/some AVI files.)

EDIT: Also, don't install Ubuntu Studio. It's tailored more for professionals who work with audio/video streams. The normal Ubuntu install + Ubuntu Restricted Extras + MythTV (if you wish) will be all you need.
    Last edited by DarkED; 08-30-2007 at 02:17 PM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Get automatix, its like add/remove programs, but focused on media programs. You can get all of your mp3/avi/mpg codecs in one shot, plus alot of other really great programs.
    DarkEd is right, just normal ubuntu and mythtv should be good for you. Do you have a tv capture card? If so, you can use mythTv and make your computer a tivo. A subscription-free tivo, which is even better. You can get a decent capture card for $50usd if you shop around.
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    Get automatix, its like add/remove programs, but focused on media programs. You can get all of your mp3/avi/mpg codecs in one shot, plus alot of other really great programs.
    Do not use Automatix, it WILL break your system. Not at first, but somewhere down the line Automatix will break your dependencies, therefore requiring you to reinstall.

Don't believe me? Just ask anyone on Ubuntu Forums about Automatix.

I told you how to get all the codecs using the restricted extras package. You don't even need Automatix anymore, it was made for an older version of Ubuntu (5.04 - 6.06) when that stuff was harder to install.

EDIT: I have decided that as a moderator it is my duty to make sure the information passed out here is not harmful. From now on, anyone telling a Ubuntu user to use Automatix will have their post deleted. Consider this your warning - no exceptions. Automatix is widely known to break systems. Canonical (the developers of Ubuntu) have even said that it is harmful and that it should only be used for testing purposes and under extreme circumstances. I've even had it break my system before, so trust me, I do know what I'm talking about. Automatix was useful two years ago, true, but like I said it's no longer needed because the new restricted extras package installs the same stuff Automatix installs but with the correct dependencies. This may sound a little harsh but we're here to help people, and potentially breaking their system is not going to help anything.
    Last edited by DarkED; 08-31-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Member PSP User
    Ok, thanks a lot DarkED... I don't have a TV card, isn't that what mythTV is for.

I will do the Feisty Fawn install and I'm going to just get the ubuntu studio theme so I can pretend I'm a pro.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    If you want to record tv shows to your computer you need a capture card. If you want to watch movies you already have on your pc you just need to hook your tv into you video card. Most new cards and tv's have s-video plugs, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the heads up DarkED, i used automatix on one install but i gave up on it because ubuntu wouldnt let me burn cd's no matter what i tried. I guess i didnt have it installed long enough for it to mess something up.
    Very funny....not.