Thread: Pandora - linux

1. #1 Pandora - linux 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP tahval's Avatar
    Is there software available to create pandoras battery and a magic memory stick in linux?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    I don't think so.. Run xp in a virutal pc.

so you are saying that they have not even released the source code of all that stuff?
    geez hehe

Ill try the virtual pc approach, if I can get my vmware serial that is..

Member PSP User
    Here's a guide I found helpful.

Zimbio Pilot - Free PSP Game Downloads for PSP Gamers

Remember, if it can be done in Windows, it can be done in Linux (only better, and with more efficiency )

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by kmc77 View Post
    Remember, if it can be done in Windows, it can be done in Linux (only better, and with more efficiency )
    lol, nope.
    Gimp is terrible compared to photoshop.
    Dreamweaver in linux? Hell no.
    Music notation editors? None at all...

That being said, i do like linux, but it hasnt matured enough to "do eveerything better."
    Very funny....not.

Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    lol, nope.
    Gimp is terrible compared to photoshop.
    Dreamweaver in linux? Hell no.
    Music notation editors? None at all...

That being said, i do like linux, but it hasnt matured enough to "do eveerything better."
    Ahh, but you're comparing applications. I was comparing OS's. Linux as an OS is much more capable and efficient than Windows. Applications will always vary from OS to OS. This is why Apple has such a following in the "artistic" circles, because of it's musical and graphical software powerhouse. Windows apps. can't hold a candle to Mac apps. in that respect. But again the question is not if there are equivalent apps. across OS's. When enough of a need for a particular type of software arises among Linux users, programmers will fill the need.

As far as the applications that you mentioned:

Photoshop - The gimp is great for everyday use, but if you want something more akin to Photoshop then what you need is PIXEL image editor. You can find it here: Pixel image editor » Welcome

Dreamweaver - First, I don't know why anyone would really want to use Dreamweaver. As far as my experience goes, it seems extremely bloated. I personally prefer Bluefish, but if you really have to use Dreamweaver, it runs under Crossover Office, a Linux app, or you could go open source and run Quanta Pro HERE(much better than Dreamweaver, as far as bloated editors go).

Music notation editors - I'll admit that I don't have much experience as far as music notation editors go, but I did a Linux Google search, and turned up quite a few. See the search HERE . And Adobe has some hefty music apps with Linux ports.

Anyway, didn't mean to stretch this into a big post. Apps. are Apps. And the need for a particular app. can be filled or created as necessity dictates for any OS. But the OS's capabilities........

Windows apps. can't hold a candle to Mac apps. in that respect.
    Photoshop cs2 runs faster on a windows pc with the same level hardware as a mac. There were a few tests done using intense filters on large pics and windows came out faster on all but one of 15 or so tests.

Photoshop - The gimp is great for everyday use, but if you want something more akin to Photoshop then what you need is PIXEL image editor. You can find it here: Pixel image editor » Welcome
    Pixel never opens my psd's. It always calls them corrupted, but i know they arent since cs2 opens them fine.

Im stopping here because dividing your post up is taking too long
    You said anything can be done better in linux, and it cant, you cant edit photos better in linux, you cant edit sheet music better in linux, etc...
    Dreamweaver is used by alot of high-end professionals. I tried out blufish for a while actually when learning html and i really didnt like it. The best i have found is a windows app "coffeecup html editor."

Anywho, this is as far off topic as i think we can get

Did tahval ever get this done?
    Very funny....not.

Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    Photoshop cs2 runs faster on a windows pc with the same level hardware as a mac. There were a few tests done using intense filters on large pics and windows came out faster on all but one of 15 or so tests.

Pixel never opens my psd's. It always calls them corrupted, but i know they arent since cs2 opens them fine.

Im stopping here because dividing your post up is taking too long
    You said anything can be done better in linux, and it cant, you cant edit photos better in linux, you cant edit sheet music better in linux, etc...
    Dreamweaver is used by alot of high-end professionals. I tried out blufish for a while actually when learning html and i really didnt like it. The best i have found is a windows app "coffeecup html editor."

Anywho, this is as far off topic as i think we can get

Did tahval ever get this done?
    Again, I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. Let's equivocate this to firearms. What I am saying is " a .45 is a more powerful handgun than a 9mm", and what you are arguing is that " a .45 is not a better gun, because it can't fire 9mm shells, like a 9mm handgun can." See what I'm saying? The argument isn't the software. If you want something that acts just like Dreamweaver, then nothing is better at that than Dreamweaver. But if you are wanting a powerful editor to run in Linux, then use Quanta Pro. Neither of these have anything to do with the capability of the OS. You can't argue the towing capacity of a Chevy Silverado, because the interior looks nothing like the Ford Focus that you're used to. My quote that you keep using was "If it can be done in Windows, it can be done in Linux (only better and more efficiently)" . I think you may have interpreted this as "If it can be run in windows then it can be run in Linux...".

As far as my "can't hold a candle" comment... It follows a common understanding that a Mac port of a Windows app will generally run better in Windows. The point that I was making was that Mac is the preferred OS for those "artistic minded" professionals, because of the preponderance and quality of applications designed for the "arts". This was brought to my attention by my sister who is a graphic artist. For my college career and into my current occupation, Linux is ideal. For her college career and her profession, Mac is ideal.

The only reason that I continued this discussion, is, that I believe that it is on topic. The OP began this thread seeking help in preforming a certain operation in Linux, that is typically done or described in Windows. There was initially the understanding that this could not be done in Linux, which lead to the incorrect assumption that Linux was not capable of doing this, when in actuality Linux is more suited for base/root type functions/actions such as this, since the user has more access to and more precise control of operations. Sorry for beating a dead horse, but I want to make sure the OP's question not only gets answered, but his understanding is increased also.

*EDIT - Forgot about your PIXEL problem. Are you using the free trial version of PIXEL or the full commercial version. Just like Photoshop, many options are disabled, and many of the libraries are not included in the trial/free versions. If you are using the commercial version, I'd love to help you get it running right. I'm sure with a little more info. we can fix it.
    Last edited by kmc77; 10-16-2007 at 03:32 AM.

Again, I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. Let's equivocate this to firearms. What I am saying is " a .45 is a more powerful handgun than a 9mm", and what you are arguing is that " a .45 is not a better gun, because it can't fire 9mm shells, like a 9mm handgun can." See what I'm saying? The argument isn't the software. If you want something that acts just like Dreamweaver, then nothing is better at that than Dreamweaver. But if you are wanting a powerful editor to run in Linux, then use Quanta Pro. Neither of these have anything to do with the capability of the OS. You can't argue the towing capacity of a Chevy Silverado, because the interior looks nothing like the Ford Focus that you're used to. My quote that you keep using was "If it can be done in Windows, it can be done in Linux (only better and more efficiently)" . I think you may have interpreted this as "If it can be run in windows then it can be run in Linux...".
    An operating system is only as good as the things you can add to it. If you run just linux you dont even have a gui, so if you take a clean install of linux and a clean install of windows, alot more can be done to the windows box to make it useful. The best windows photo editing software is better than the best linux editing software. You cant edit pictures with just the windows kernel, and you cant with just the linux kernel, thats why the quality of programs makes the o/s.

As far as my "can't hold a candle" comment... It follows a common understanding that a Mac port of a Windows app will generally run better in Windows.
    Photoshop was originally written for macs then ported to windows.

The only reason that I continued this discussion, is, that I believe that it is on topic. The OP began this thread seeking help in preforming a certain operation in Linux, that is typically done or described in Windows. There was initially the understanding that this could not be done in Linux, which lead to the incorrect assumption that Linux was not capable of doing this, when in actuality Linux is more suited for base/root type functions/actions such as this, since the user has more access to and more precise control of operations. Sorry for beating a dead horse, but I want to make sure the OP's question not only gets answered, but his understanding is increased also.
    I dont think he implied that it couldnt be done, he was just concerned that nobody made a readily available guide of how to do it.

*EDIT - Forgot about your PIXEL problem. Are you using the free trial version of PIXEL or the full commercial version. Just like Photoshop, many options are disabled, and many of the libraries are not included in the trial/free versions. If you are using the commercial version, I'd love to help you get it running right. I'm sure with a little more info. we can fix it.
    [/quote]
    I was using the trial, im not going to buy a program if it doesnt open my psd's. Im not taking the chance and spending $30 on something that could end up being completely useless to me.
    Very funny....not.

Member PSP User
    Canada, i don't intend to engage in a tit-for-tat, as that is truly off topic. I will repeat once again, please understand that I am not arguing software with you. That is something that you decided to enter into the conversation. If you choose to believe that Windows (as an operating system) is a more "stout" OS than Linux is, that is perfectly fine. It is not my job, duty, intent or even my inclination to convince you otherwise. It is great that all the apps that you want to use are better in Windows. That is why you are a Windows user. But again, that in no way reflects an inability to preform said functions on a Linux machine, and yes, with more control and precision. In my personal experience, I have never run into a task that I could not perform in Linux (with the exception of allowing viruses free reign in my comp ) that could be preformed in Windows. Notice that I did not say "a program that I could not run". Linux is extremely flexible and potent. Microsoft understands this also. This is the reason that their servers are backed up on Linux servers. Which on a side note is a good thing, considering that Linux was the only thing that kept the Microsoft website up and running during their big DOS attack a couple of years ago. And you are correct about photoshop. Although I'm not sure what that has to do with my comment, you do bring up a good point, reinforcing what I was saying earlier that Apple caters to the "art" professional. And by the way I wasn't trying to offend by offering to help with your PIXEL problem, I had thought that you were seriously using PIXEL and need help. But if you are photoshop user then it only makes sense to open your photoshop files with photoshop. While most apps will try to accommodate other file types, they ultimately are intended to work with "their" files. This should be no more surprising or upsetting than finding out that Microsoft word can't open .odt (open office) files.

Now, here is the gist of my post. Tahval entered into, and posted in the Linux forum, for help on a Linux operating system question. You are correct, no one implied that the functions could not be done in Linux. But never the less the assumption was there as was demonstrated by the suggestion to try using a window emulator or overlay to run a windows app in Linux, and Tahval's reluctant, decision to "try the virtual pc approach". I am not demeaning canadianbacons suggestion. That is a completely valid suggestion, if there is no other way. But, being a Linux user myself, I wanted to help another Linux user see how to accomplish his task from within his chosen OS, as well as reafirm the open and un-hindered potential of said OS. I was not expecting or intending an OS war discussion in the Linux forum anymore than one would expect a PSP vs DS war in a Sony PSP forum. That being said, I will default this discussion in the hope that Tahval has had a satisfactory answer to his question. And with that I (a lowly pspmod.com noob) concede to you Mr. Canada, as I do not wish to detract from intent of the OP.

*EDIT - I just noticed that this could be interpreted as my way of killing a debate after having the last say. That is not my intent. Feel free to post a counterpoint if you feel it necessary Canada. I just wanted to let you know that out of respect to Tahval, I'm going to just stick to answering Linux questions.
    Last edited by kmc77; 10-16-2007 at 02:53 PM.

Here's a guide I found helpful.

Zimbio Pilot - Free PSP Game Downloads for PSP Gamers

Good tip, thanks
    Glad to see that we can do this in linux, and don't have to switch to vmware or stuff.
    That serial, didnt work for me btw.. I had a serial from a couple of years ago, when you could download vmware for linux for free..
    Sorry to see that that is no longer possible...

Canada, i don't intend to engage in a tit-for-tat, as that is truly off topic. I will repeat once again, please understand that I am not arguing software with you. That is something that you decided to enter into the conversation. If you choose to believe that Windows (as an operating system) is a more "stout" OS than Linux is, that is perfectly fine. It is not my job, duty, intent or even my inclination to convince you otherwise. It is great that all the apps that you want to use are better in Windows. That is why you are a Windows user. But again, that in no way reflects an inability to preform said functions on a Linux machine, and yes, with more control and precision. In my personal experience, I have never run into a task that I could not perform in Linux (with the exception of allowing viruses free reign in my comp ) that could be preformed in Windows. Notice that I did not say "a program that I could not run". Linux is extremely flexible and potent. Microsoft understands this also. This is the reason that their servers are backed up on Linux servers. Which on a side note is a good thing, considering that Linux was the only thing that kept the Microsoft website up and running during their big DOS attack a couple of years ago. And you are correct about photoshop. Although I'm not sure what that has to do with my comment, you do bring up a good point, reinforcing what I was saying earlier that Apple caters to the "art" professional. And by the way I wasn't trying to offend by offering to help with your PIXEL problem, I had thought that you were seriously using PIXEL and need help. But if you are photoshop user then it only makes sense to open your photoshop files with photoshop. While most apps will try to accommodate other file types, they ultimately are intended to work with "their" files. This should be no more surprising or upsetting than finding out that Microsoft word can't open .odt (open office) files.
    I only quoted the first half because that was one hella long post. I only started the debate because you said:
    Which is completely untrue. I am a linux user, and some things are done a whole lot easier in linux, but not everything, so i believe it was incorrect for you to post a broad statement as you did when it is not true. I did not by any means try to escalte this into a giant o/s war, but one o/s is not 100% better than another, each has their ups and downs, so to say everything is done easier in linux is just completely wrong.
    Very funny....not.

Member PSP User
    Lol.
    Good.
    Counterpoint stated. So we're done then?

Anyway, Tahval, I'm glad that is what you were needing. If you have any more problems getting that "magic stick" done, feel free to PM me. I'm happy to help.

L
    Counterpoint stated. So we're done then?
    Never....
    Very funny....not.