Thread: msn on linux

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 msn on linux 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker zII Snowman IIz's Avatar
    I downloaded msn but it saves it to disk and then it cant open it could someone help plz ive tried most things

i have the same problem

Member PSP User
    My suggestion is to use aMSN or pidgin (the default instant messenger in most new Linux installs). Both of those can handle MSN messaging. Of course, it's possible to run MSN in Linux under wine, but all the additional functionality would be limited, so what's the sense in that?

If you'll tell me what version of Linux are you using then I can help you do a quick install of a Linux native IM client.

Thanks for your help ill be using one of those

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by zII Snowman IIz View Post
    I downloaded msn but it saves it to disk and then it cant open it could someone help plz ive tried most things
    You can't run Windows programs on Linux, because they are compiled into a different binary format using different libraries and so on. I suggest you do what kmc77 said, use pidgin or aMSN.

What Linux distro are you using? If you tell us, we will tell you how to install the client. If you are using Ubuntu, then pidgin should be already installed under Programs->Network->Instant Messenger.

yea thanks for your help

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    <--Another vote for pidgin. It will handle everything you need in a messaging client.
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Viktor Vaughn's Avatar
    I use Pidgin. And I love it.
    PSP 3.03->GTA:LCS->1.5->3.40-oe.a-> 3.51 M33 -> 5.00 M33-4
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinlyBliss View Post
    I'm a WOMAN. F-E-M-A-L-E. I have a taco, not a hot dog.

kk thanks ppl ill be using that

Snowman

Member PSP User
    I'd say swallow your mouse, you obviously are not cut out to use linux.

And btw, Pidgin is crap compared to Kopete.
    I assume you are using Ubuntu, so just open up a terminal and type in

sudo apt-get install kopete

and you should be good to go. Or again, kill yourself. Its up to you.
    lol u tk him 2da bar|?

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by the.doctor View Post

I assume you are using Ubuntu, so just open up a terminal and type in

sudo apt-get install kopete

I disagree with that. If you are using Ubuntu and the GNOME desktop, then Pidgin is much better because it was written using the same toolkit. This makes the integration much better, which improves your experience.

Kopete on the other hand is for kUbuntu and KDE, which is a totally different toolkit. So I think the discussion is more about KDE vs GNOME and not Kopete vs Pidgin, but let's not get into that. Because it can end up like the God vs no God thread. (Btw, I prefer KDE )

Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by kkrizka View Post
    I disagree with that. If you are using Ubuntu and the GNOME desktop, then Pidgin is much better because it was written using the same toolkit. This makes the integration much better, which improves your experience.

Kopete on the other hand is for kUbuntu and KDE, which is a totally different toolkit. So I think the discussion is more about KDE vs GNOME and not Kopete vs Pidgin, but let's not get into that. Because it can end up like the God vs no God thread. (Btw, I prefer KDE )
    Thank you for pointing out something very obvious. Yes, Kopete is a KDE native app. However, you are still stupid.

Getting backwards compatability with KDE native apps under ANY GUI involves a few extra libraries. No emulation or anything required. This is because the linux kernel is so robust!

Im not trying to start a KDE vs GNOME argument, because I dont use either. I use XFCE.
    Kopete is my messenger, AmaroK is my media player.
    lol u tk him 2da bar|?

Member PSP User
    Thank you for pointing out something very obvious. Yes, Kopete is a KDE native app. However, you are still stupid.
    Or again, kill yourself. Its up to you.
    It's ignorant drivel like this that almost kept me from going Linux 4 years ago. It seems that even in the friendly Linux users community we have our share of whiny, "I'm so much better than you because I figured out that I can run KDE apps. in another DM/WE" "know-it-alls". Please ignore the.doctor's quotes with regard to Linux topics. There are some of us who actually want to help people converting to Linux.

On a less "emo-like, elitist, Linux troll" note...

Snowman, try out a couple of IM clients. Use the one that fits you. I personally dropped kopete (when I was using KDE) because it was a little too irregular with my connection, and I was unable to "transfer files". At that time, aMSN worked well for me. Now I use Pidgin. It's comfortable and fast. But If you just want something easy to use while you are learning Linux it's best to stick with the pre-installed IM client for which ever flavor of Linux that you installed. Most major versions will have a MSN capable client, right from install.
    Last edited by kmc77; 12-19-2007 at 02:26 PM.

Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by kmc77 View Post
    It's ignorant drivel like this that almost kept me from going Linux 4 years ago. It seems that even in the friendly Linux users community we have our share of whiny, "I'm so much better than you because I figured out that I can run KDE apps. in another DM/WE" "know-it-alls". Please ignore the.doctor's quotes with regard to Linux topics. There are some of us who actually want to help people converting to Linux.
    And its handicapped people like you who are the reason "Do not apply to eyes" is on sticks of deoderant.

The problem is that there is no moderation for ignorance, kkrickza or w/e blatantly lied... and tried to make it appear as truth. If I was unfamiliar with linux, his answer would seem reasonable... but it isnt.

Why not flame him? Because his WRONG information wasnt overshadowed by a mock-flame? I dont know about you, but I would prefer to be called an idiot - and then get accurate and useful information. Rather than have someone politely bullshit me.

Snowman, try out a couple of IM clients. Use the one that fits you. I personally dropped kopete (when I was using KDE) because it was a little too irregular with my connection, and I was unable to "transfer files". At that time, aMSN worked well for me. Now I use Pidgin. It's comfortable and fast. But If you just want something easy to use while you are learning Linux it's best to stick with the pre-installed IM client for which ever flavor of Linux that you installed. Most major versions will have a MSN capable client, right from install.
    this, i would say, is much better than my post or kkriczas. You are absolutely right, Kopete does have some connection and file transfer issues - the only fix I know of for it involves forwarding the ports a regular client would forward automatically - but that is a lot of work. Probably more than it is worth. I personally enjoy having webcam support which isnt in Pidgin (and to the best of my knowledge, not in aMSN - but I dont really know).

And I also found aMSN ran extremely slow, but I havent tried it in ages - so I really cant be sure
    lol u tk him 2da bar|?

Member PSP User
    And its handicapped people like you who are the reason "Do not apply to eyes" is on sticks of deoderant.
    the.doctor, I see no purpose behind your posts, other than to insult, attack, conflict bait and overall exacerbation of inflamed situations, therefore I don't intend to tit-for-tat with you. Besides I tend to hold to the "arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics" analogy.

In any case, I felt a post was necessary to point out that your "twisted" justification for flaming kkrizka was in itself incorrect. Kkrizka did not lie. Much as you pointed out with the aMSN example, running an app., outside of it's element does indeed cause some slow down and hinder integration if not set up correctly. Just because it can be installed with an "apt-get" does not make it instantly efficient. Had Kkrizka said that you couldn't run kopete in Gnome, then that would have been a lie. We all (and by "all" I mean experienced Linux users) know that with a little effort, you can get most anything to run well. That's the nice thing about Linux. But in this case we are obviously dealing with a new Linux user, so the solution requiring less "effort" is entirely justified. Your suggestion for kopete would have been a good suggestion, had you not prefaced it with idiocy like:
    and of course..
    We all get frustrated dealing with people at one time or another, but the rational/mature person realizes that just because I can be an @ss doesn't mean that I should be. You help no one, and make yourself look stupid.
    Last edited by kmc77; 12-19-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast