Thread: PSUbuntu

1. #1 PSUbuntu 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    Wasn't 100% where to post this, but feel free to move it if needbe.

Anyway, maybe some old news to some people, but some of the dev's at Ubuntu, have made a custom Ubuntu image of 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) specifically for the PS3. "PSUbuntu" as some may call it.

Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)

and instructions on how to install..

psubuntu.com | Ubuntu on a Playstation 3 ยป Instructions

Thought this would help some people, I know it helped me, as I couldn't find a lot of decent tutorials to install Linux on the PS3, especially for Ubuntu.

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    yup, it's a nice site.
    Glad to see it up here.

I've looked into it, and this site almost made me install it. But, what are some uses of having Linux on your PS3?
    Last edited by Pirate-M.Lifnen; 12-30-2007 at 12:51 AM.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate-M.Lifnen View Post
    yup, it's a nice site.
    Glad to see it up here.

I've looked into it, and this site almost made me install it. But, what are some uses of having Linux on your PS3?
    There are minimal reasons, like some emulator support, but nothing major since the RSX is blocked out, for any heavy gaming emulation.

But I just always have wanted Ubuntu, since I get the "xserver graphics error" on my pc everytime. I just wanted to install it, they do have bluetooth and sixaxis support, however, which is pretty neat.

Some users opinions on why they've installed it:
    PSUbuntuForums :: View topic - Why PSUbuntu?

Hmm, might be useful if I were to get a keyboard and mouse, so I could browse the web from the couch.
    But then again I can already do that with my laptop. And if I did use it to browse the web from my couch, I'd have to move literally one arm's-length in a back-and-leftwardly manner to sit on my couch.
    One really neat thing about this though, is that with a distro made specifically for the PS3, there really won't be any hardware problems. So, that's a plus.

Unless PS3 backup compatibility comes around for Linux, which it probably won't - it's more likely to come in the form of PS3 homebrew, then, I don't have a real use.

I was just thinking, I'd love to see a 360 emu for the PS3...

One really neat thing about this though, is that with a distro made specifically for the PS3, there really won't be any hardware problems. So, that's a plus.
    Yeah, it looks easy to setup the wireless since it has everything for the PS3 specifically.

I was just thinking, I'd love to see a 360 emu for the PS3...
    If linux could use the cell processor to it's full potential and RSX was unblocked, I wouldn't doubt it, I'd sell my 360 if that happened.

You probably wouldn't get any online features though.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Dustin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianbacon View Post
    Yeah, it looks easy to setup the wireless since it has everything for the PS3 specifically.

If linux could use the cell processor to it's full potential and RSX was unblocked, I wouldn't doubt it, I'd sell my 360 if that happened.
    i would sell my 360 also, but the only downfall is not being able to play on xbox live =/

PSP History - 3.03>Pandora>1.50>3.71 M33-2>3.71 M33-3>3.71 M33-4>BRICKED>1.50>3.71 M33-2>3.71 M33-4+1.50Kernal>3.80 M33> 3.80 M33-2
    "God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best. -Voltaire

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    it would be worth losing live to be able to play a 360 emulator. Wouldnt take alot of space though i assume. Linux Distro (1gb estimated install) + emulator (not much, maybe 100-200mb) + games (5gb and up) so theres a minimum of 6.5 gb until they get cd drive emulation. Then even less. Hardest part would be ram usage. The 360 has 512mb shared but the ps3 has 256 dedicated to graphics and 256 for everything else. Each core of the cell can be used like ram, but that of course lowers the processing power.
    Very funny....not.