Thread: Linux on the PSP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Linux on the PSP 
    B_S
    Junior Member PSP User
    I've got a question about linux on the psp. Ive found an app called psp linux, but it doesnt want to start, i think cuz i havent got the 1.5 kernel (3.80 m33-5 cfw). is there any possibility to run linux instead of the normal cfw?

i tried the search button, but havent found anything interest, google havent any serious ideas either.

im only curious weather linux runs on the psp like on the old good xbox

B_S
    Never touch a running system <- nonsense

Brick: 1
    Unbrick: 1
    Semi-Brick: 0

FW-History:
    3.60 -> BRICK -> Pandora: 3.71 M33-2 -> 3.80 M33 -> 3.80 M33-5

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    Which version did you try? I managed to get Linux running with the 3.71 kernel setting on the GAME folder, but I also have the 1.50 patch installed. So I'm not sure you can run it without it:
    Running Linux On The PSP | Karol Krizka

B_S
    Junior Member PSP User
    wont run, even with the eloader of the noobz team

FW-History:

Member PSP User
    i had a version of linux running on my psp but i used a x86 emulator to make it run. called bochs

B_S
    Junior Member PSP User
    did u run a "normal" version of linux on it? sth like dsl or a really big one (debian, suse, fedora etc.)?

FW-History:

Member PSP User
    i used dsl, but if you google there is a distro thats like 10 megs made for psp with mouse support. though no keyboard. i had win 95 running on it the same way but it took like 15 mins to load and it used kbd via onscreen kbd.

B_S
    Junior Member PSP User
    following problem: the emulator wont start (i assume because of the nonexisting 1.5 kernel). i've tried it with eloader but it dismissed with an error...

i'll downgrade to 3.71 m33-2 again, was a lot easier to run homebrews on it^^
    btw. someone know how to downgrade directly to 3.71 or do i need pandora again? (dont want to flash the 1.5 before upgrading to 3.71)

FW-History:

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B_S View Post
    i'll downgrade to 3.71 m33-2 again, was a lot easier to run homebrews on it^^
    btw. someone know how to downgrade directly to 3.71 or do i need pandora again? (dont want to flash the 1.5 before upgrading to 3.71)
    You cannot go to 1.50 with your slim, well that is until time machine is released.

But you need pandora.

B_S
    Junior Member PSP User
    What sense makes my recovery menu?

Do i need a pandora in case of a semi-brick? i thougt u can flash the 1.5 if u have a semi brick.. or do i have this possibility only with the fat?

FW-History:

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by B_S View Post
    What sense makes my recovery menu?

Do i need a pandora in case of a semi-brick? i thougt u can flash the 1.5 if u have a semi brick.. or do i have this possibility only with the fat?
    You can currently go to 1.50 firmware on PSP Fats only, it won't run on Slims.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Skud_Bio's Avatar
    uClinux, works. I got it on my phat........I dunno bout the slim, but with 64MB of ram it should run universally better if it did run. And please people just forget about Bochs.......its a good port....of a good program.......but when you put it on a psp thats where it all gos wrong.
    .-=+SKUDBIO=+-.

SKUDALICIOUS BABY!

Member PSP User
    i really dont agree i ran windows 95 on my fatty with bochs, and yeah it took for ever to load but after it finaly loaded it ran great.

no offense, i have a windows comp and all.......but why put it on ur PSP? WHY MAN WHY?!?!?!?! It's only pointless.....windows in 95 went nowhere, cept to XP and good luck getting THAT on PSP. At least with linux its not a closed source and you can actually do something with it. And if Sony would have known that the PSP would be used to emulate (poorly i might add) a windows 95 machine, they would have shot the 1st proto with a shotgun, and murdered the Dev. AND takin' out all the patents for it so no-one could even think of it again.!
    .-=+SKUDBIO=+-.

SKUDALICIOUS BABY!

Member PSP User
    actualy it wasnt useless, not having a palm pilot nor a laptop, it allowed me to carry around my spread sheets and other stuff on my psp as well as edit them while i was out. sure win 95 is a crappy os now, but when it was new (and i got it on its release date) it was cutting edge and amazing. most people dont remember what computers were like back then. there are things you can do with dos and windows 95 that you cant do with xp or even vista. i still have a comp that runs 95 just for this stuff. yeah i dont use it alot but when i need it its there. it would be different if it wasn't for viruses or hackers but hey it takes all kinds. the thing is with all the "security" updates for newer os's we are very limited on what we can actualy do on the computer.

now if you had read my other posts i instaled linux on my psp, the problem is that im really not that good with linux nor did dsl have kbd or mouse support.

im learning but i learn by doing and honestly this whole prodject of mine to port and emulate os's on my psp has taught me alot about how my psp runs. its not really about bringing back windows 95, its about developing my knowledge of the inner workings of things.

and you say it emulates it poorly, ok i admit the long boot time is a nuesence but after booting think of what you have. a 333mhz proc with 32 mb ram and a 2 gb "hd" much better than any win 95 pc. and think of it this way as well im a clasic game freak. i play all the old school games on my psp i wanted to try to run some of my old dos and win games on it. hell i got battle tech: the cresent hawk inception running flawlessly as well as the original magic the gathering game: shandrala

to close my point it's its a modding forum so mod man dont just copy other ppls stuff. get your ideas from them fine, but do it your way to do what you want and need.
    Last edited by tremulos; 02-02-2008 at 07:38 AM.

Well in your case I understand completely........but MY point is you are like 1 out of 10 people that may find Bochs remotely useful. Im not one of those guys who just posts with nothing but myself in mind......I post keeping in mind the entirety of the Homebrew community in mind. And with that you have to understand that overall Bochs is useless. I have used Bochs for PC and I am giving him credit up the ass because the port does exactly what its supposed to do. But doing what it does on a PSP is a lost cause see what I mean?

and trust me when I say I know where your going, when you say windows is becoming more and more boxed in. Depending on how long windows stays alive pretty soon we wont be able to do anything on our OS's........they'd be telling US what to do!

just curious whats that last bit about?
    .-=+SKUDBIO=+-.

SKUDALICIOUS BABY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast