Thread: Problems installing Ubuntu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Problems installing Ubuntu 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker VeryThinPSP's Avatar
    I recently made a dvd of Ubuntu 7.04 and I followed all of the instructions to install perfectly but when I went to install it gave me the error:

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
    (initramfs)

So I googled around a bit and found that by using the code:

acpi=force irqpoll after pressing F6 at the boot screen

it would let me install Ubuntu. I got it installed on my computer....kind of. It worked fine and everything. It would even let me choose which OS I wanted to boot when I turned on my computer. The only problem I had was I couldn't get to the desktop version or whatever. It would only let me into an all text version of Ubuntu. I tired that startx command or whatever but I don't think it did anything or it gave me some type of error but I don't remember.

Anyways, I reformatted my computer to clean things up a bit because I had been messing around with Vista a little too much and ran into some theme problems. So I re-installed everything back onto my computer and tried re-installing Ubuntu the same way I did before. I got the same error when trying to install it so I tired using the same acpi=force irqpoll code at the boot screen but it didn't work. I even tried a few different codes including:

pci=nomsi
    pci-nomsi kernel parameters
    acpi=force irqpoll pci=nomsi
    linux acpi=force irqpoll pci=nomsi
    all-generic-ide
    acpi=no irqpoll

None of them did anything. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestion on what I should do. I am almost 100% positive there is nothing wrong with my dvd copy seeing how it install it somewhat fine the first time. So, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Oh yeah......I am using a:

Fujitsu Lifebook N Series
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.20 GHz
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600
    2046MB RAM
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
    3.60>3.71 M33-2>3.71 M33-3>SOLD!>3.60>3.71 M33-2>3.71 M33-3>SOLD!

8 Billion dollars wasted. Increased federal spending led to increased use.Time to stop?
    Very Funny STUFF FOR SALE!
    PWND! FREE PSP!
    R.I.P. MIDIAN

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker NuMB3Rs's Avatar
    hmmm it doesnt sound like a disc error, maybe your HDD is the issue..
    I hold the Ban Guitar.
    "If a man cannot pee on his fans, I don't want to be in show business anymore"- Dave Chappelle

Want To Advertise On PSPMOD?
    READ THIS

Anyone else have ideas about this? I would really like to get Linux up and running.

8 Billion dollars wasted. Increased federal spending led to increased use.Time to stop?
    PWND! FREE PSP!
    R.I.P. MIDIAN

Member PSP User
    I have a few questions (for clarity)

1. Have you been able to get Ubuntu to run as a live cd?
    2. Is there any specific reason that you have chosen to install 7.04 instead of the current 7.10?
    3. Did you make sure you downloaded the correct version of Ubuntu, for your processor?
    4. How are you formating your HDD? (What program are you using, what are you formating it to, are you deleting the partitions first, etc.)

Junior Member PSP User
    go download 7.04 again from Ubuntu main mirror, and burn it to cd instead of using the dvd version. See if you can boot it without modifying any of the kernel flags. Are you trying to use the 64 bit version?

check the ubuntu wiki
    Code:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

dude VTP google for shipit. they send out ubuntu install CD's for free. i used em twice. of course they come late as hell but eh
    I hold the Ban Guitar.
    "If a man cannot pee on his fans, I don't want to be in show business anymore"- Dave Chappelle

READ THIS

Member PSP User Master of Cthulhu's Avatar
    if anything, it sound like your computer's bios doesn't like ubuntu. i had similar problems with a desktop that wouldn't hibernate, and would error outon suspend. the only thing you can do is try a different distro of linux

theres kubuntu, which is ubuntu with the KDE desktop
    I hold the Ban Guitar.

READ THIS

by different distro, i meant another type of linux entirely, not just ubuntu with a different desktop environment. to the op, if you want an easy to set up and use system, try PCLinuxOS. you can choose from gnome, kde, or fluxbox versions, and it comes in a full, or mini forms.

for the love of all that is pure choose gnome.
    I hold the Ban Guitar.

READ THIS

then why did you suggest kubuntu, when you know it uses kde? let the op choose his own window manager.

because ubuntu didnt install for him duh
    I hold the Ban Guitar.

READ THIS

if ubuntu didn't install, then i doubt a direct copy with a different window manger will install, which is also why i didn't suggest debian

I got Ubuntu to install somewhat the first time like I stated in my story. I chose to install 7.04 simply because the guide I was following used it. I imagined if I got that working installing a different version would be simple enough. I am sure I downloaded the right version and from the right site. I went into Disk Management and click on my C: drive and right click it and select shrink volume. Then when I install Ubuntu I have it installed on the largest free space.....which is the one I just created. Like I said that I said, it seemed to have installed fine the first time except for the fact I could not get anything but text to show. It did install and I did fill in all of the installation information. I am thinking I am just going to try 7.10 or something. Does anyone happen to have a genuine Live CD? I would pay for shipping both ways and would return it promptly. I really don't want to wait forever to receive it. Thanks for all of the input everyone. I will be trying to install 7.10 in the meantime.
    Last edited by VeryThinPSP; 02-27-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Forgot to delete something. :p

PWND! FREE PSP!
    R.I.P. MIDIAN

1. Have you been able to get Ubuntu to run as a live cd?

yep

2. Is there any specific reason that you have chosen to install 7.04 instead of the current 7.10?

when i installed ubuntu i had a earlier copy of 7.04 (and i installed it when .10 came out and i never updated. dont feel like it lol)

3. Did you make sure you downloaded the correct version of Ubuntu, for your processor?

yep its a must

4. How are you formating your HDD? (What program are you using, what are you formating it to, are you deleting the partitions first, etc.)

i messed up deleting my partitions so i lost WINXP but i didnt use a program to install ubuntu
    I hold the Ban Guitar.

READ THIS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast