Thread: Ubuntu on Windows

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member PSP User Master of Cthulhu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I looked it up on google and it said it only does this if the iso and wubi file arent in the same directory, but they were, on the cd and on my desktop.
    that is why i said to file a bug report. the fact that it couldn't find the cd is why it is considered a bug.
    SEARCH!!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaves1303 View Post
    I tried the Wubi installer and I had bad experiences with it. Maybe it's just my hardware configuration or something that it didn't like? First thing I noticed was that on install, wubi asks for a user password, but not a root password. Ubuntu only lets you log in as a basic user, and you have to switch to root via command line whenever you want to to administrative things. I tried to change the root password with the 'passwd' command, but since I didn't know the original, I couldn't change it. I ran updates via the gui, which it let me do for some reason, and then left for the afternoon. When I came back, it had frozen. So I just rebooted into Windows and uninstalled it. A shame, because I wanted to use Ubuntu with my hardware, not with emulated hardware via VMware or something. Is it easy to dual-boot, as in, without using Wubi? I've never tried it.
    Uh, this has been like that for awhile.

You always where an administrator, and when doing shit like synaptics you were asked to log into root (or just did sudo -s in terminal, if not via Gnome), but it was the same password as the wubi installer password.

And yes it's still easy to dual-boot without wubi lol, you can do the same exact process in the LiveCD, or even if using the alternative cd, just more advanced (custom partitioning etc), either way it installs grub (or if on vista, uses the vista screen to choose what OS to pick), either way it still sets up your MBR to dual-boot.

If you burnt the disc (or even used daemon tools to mount the image) it should work, I just reinstalled x64 ubuntu, and all I did was mount the image, and did a windows installation, worked fine and didn't ask to download the files.
    Last edited by canadianbacon; 08-09-2008 at 03:28 AM.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP itzzspencer's Avatar
    i just use magiciso with magic disc... its not pirated >.>

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Ive ditched Ubuntu as of today, and im now using OpenSuse 11.0. Its freaking amazing! I tried the live disc when it was first released, but this time i installed it and im loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..
    [!]

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Mugen_NeS's Avatar
    Ubuntu is well...... very horrible. I'd rather use Red Hat or SUSE.

Edited by Major

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Hercules's Avatar
    Ubuntu isnt all that bad...i love it, its just doesnt have what windows have, but then again, what distro does? it was a bitch trying to get my wireless card to be detected...

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Sven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
    Ubuntu isnt all that bad...i love it, its just doesnt have what windows have, but then again, what distro does? it was a bitch trying to get my wireless card to be detected...
    there's this thing called WINE(Windows INtErface) and yeah it can run windows software

☭Коммунизм для нашего будущего!☭

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12