Thread: The current state of Linux...

1. #1 The current state of Linux... 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Hey everybody. It's been a couple years since I've done any posting in this forum and times have changed a bit. I thought I'd write a little about the current state of Linux to help newer users.

• Your PSP -- As has been stated before, Linux still maintains full compatibility with your PSP through USB. You don't need to worry about that unless Sony changes something in future revisions.
    • Ubuntu -- The current version of Ubuntu stable is 9.10. I would recommend you do not use this version of Ubuntu in any of it's various flavors; 9.10 brought a massive new memory leak in the current version of X.org as well as loads of various new bugs that haven't been fixed yet. There is a lot of discussion on Ubuntu Forums about this, and alot of users feel that 9.10 shouldn't have been a 'v1.0' release. If you want to use Ubuntu, I'd recommend you use 9.04.1 until 10.04 is released in April of 2010.
    • EXT4 -- The newest versions of the Linux kernel come with full support for EXT4, the newest version of the EXT filesystem. EXT4 promises increased speed and better filesystem management. It's also bleeding-edge and there are a couple small bugs that still need to be ironed out. Right now I'd recommend sticking to EXT3 for your root and /home partitions, and for any partition that holds very important data. If you have a partition that has lots of large files on it (think 1GB or larger) then EXT4 would be a good candidate for that partition, as it handles large files much better than previous versions.
    • Notable new distros -- Lots of new Linux distros have come out since I left in 2007. A few good ones are gOS, Crunchbang, and ArchLinux. gOS is based on Ubuntu, it is designed for netbooks and laptops/general web usage, and it includes Google Gadgets by default. Crunchbang is based on Ubuntu minimal, it uses Openbox window manager, PCMan file manager, and is targeted for low-spec systems. ArchLinux is a totally new distro that uses the Pacman package management system. All three are pretty good distros that you should try out sometime.

Feel free to discuss and ask questions. I'll try to answer them I will also add more relevant info to this thread's original post as it comes to me. And if possible, can we get this thread sticky'd?

I'm Pitching A Tent PSP Elite Hacker Chriscyco30's Avatar
    I've been dual booting Ubuntu for the past few months, and I'm thinking of getting rid of it cause I really have no use for it at all. Can you tell me what's so good about ubuntu and a good reason why I should keep it (or even completely switch to it)?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscyco30 View Post
    I've been dual booting Ubuntu for the past few months, and I'm thinking of getting rid of it cause I really have no use for it at all. Can you tell me what's so good about ubuntu and a good reason why I should keep it (or even completely switch to it)?
    If you install WINE, you can run most Windows apps including Steam and Source games (Half-Life 2, TF2, etc) at full speed.

If you remove Ubuntu, you'll need to remake the MBR or your computer won't boot into Windows. Delete the partition that has Ubuntu on it using the Live CD, then pop in your Windows Installation disc and go into the Recovery Console (hit R when the setup comes up). Do "fixmbr" and "fixboot" and then restart and Windows should boot up.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscyco30 View Post
    Well, it's basically just choice. Alot of computer users just don't care much for Windows, or Microsoft's underhanded tactics, or any number of things related. Some people just don't have the hardware to run newer versions of Windows (Vista/7.) Others just like to run 'their own' OS, with their own personal changes and code. And last, some just like the idea of using a free operating system with tons of free applications included. Ubuntu is a good candidate for these people because it is free, open, modern, and the hardware requirements are very low compared to Vista/7.

But really, it's your choice what you want to run. I used to be quite devoted to Linux and at one point I even denounced anything attached to Microsoft. But times change. These days I run a mix of Crunchbang Linux and WinXP Pro on my desktop, and Ubuntu 9.04.1 x64 and Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on my laptop. I use Windows for gaming and a few minor things, and Crunchbang/Ubuntu for work/running my company and pretty much whatever else. I also have an old laptop running Ubuntu server. I use it as a webserver and an EyeOS host for my company.

Keep in mind that a Linux LiveCD can be handy to have around if your system ever crashes, even if you use Windows.

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Product F(RED) View Post
    If you install WINE, you can run most Windows apps including Steam and Source games (Half-Life 2, TF2, etc) at full speed.

If you remove Ubuntu, you'll need to remake the MBR or your computer won't boot into Windows. Delete the partition that has Ubuntu on it using the Live CD, then pop in your Windows Installation disc and go into the Recovery Console (hit R when the setup comes up). Do "fixmbr" and "fixboot" and then restart and Windows should boot up.
    or you can use easybcd before you delete linux to restore booting rights to vista.

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Member PSP User
    iInux also offers a more direct relationship with your computer. As a software developer, there is no other substitution. As previously mentioned, with slight customization of a linux distro, you can have a serious workstation, which is perfect for work esp if youre used to using unix command linde. You wont have numerous distractions and tedious file meddling that windows offers.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Hacker's Avatar
    Welcome back
    Great sig made by Major zero

Member PSP User
    haha...