Thread: I need to install Linux...help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 I need to install Linux...help 
    Penis Master Extreme PSP Mad Hacker GOBLINCOCK's Avatar
    Alright guys i have aquired a Netbook, running windows 7 Starter, which frankly im sick of, your so limited on everything. anyway im looking into either getting some kind of exploit to get windows xp or 7HP. but mostly i want Linux Ubuntu on it.

I do not know how to install a duel boot without a discdrive, but i do have access to large flash drives, 2, 4 , and 8 gb. i hope someone on here can help me out

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker seagrtj's Avatar
    You might want to check out Ubuntu's Netbook Remix version. It is tailored for the Netbook and has all the stuff you need to install from a flash drive. The install will walk you through the resizing of the partition to create the linux partitions

Download Ubuntu Netbook Remix | Ubuntu

-edit - you will probably want try and find the torrent download for it because the regular downloads get messed up alot and won't install right.
    ubuntu netbook remix torrent downloads
    Last edited by seagrtj; 01-16-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GOBLINCOCK View Post
    Alright guys i have aquired a Netbook, running windows 7 Starter, which frankly im sick of, your so limited on everything. anyway im looking into either getting some kind of exploit to get windows xp or 7HP. but mostly i want Linux Ubuntu on it.

I do not know how to install a duel boot without a discdrive, but i do have access to large flash drives, 2, 4 , and 8 gb. i hope someone on here can help me out
    You can install Ubuntu Netbook Remix, or you can run Ubuntu alongside Windows without making another partition. If you use Wubi, Ubuntu is installed inside of Windows, but it runs without Windows. It's like a virtual machine that can work on its own. And if you don't want it anymore, you go into Windows and uninstall it like any other program. If you want a proper installation, use UNetBootin to take an Ubuntu ISO (or any other Linux) and make it bootable off of a flash drive/memory card/any removable media. Then you'll have a LiveCD without using a CD, and you can use it like the real thing.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    for all your partition needs I recommend easeus partition manager (its easy to use and never glitches for me) Free Download Partition Manager Software.

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Wow thanks guys you are the Shit.

Do i need a thumb drive for this because of like some Bios thing or is there a way i can just mount the ISO image, i have a flash drive i was just wondering

Also with Ubuntu i can customize my shit and use Open Office right...?
    Last edited by GOBLINCOCK; 01-17-2010 at 01:09 AM.

Wow thanks guys you are the Shit.

Do i need a thumb drive for this because of like some Bios thing or is there a way i can just mount the ISO image, i have a flash drive i was just wondering

Also with Ubuntu i can customize my shit and use Open Office right...?
    If you're not using Wubi, you'll need to set the BIOS to look for the flash drive on bootup. Usually though, there's a boot menu that allows you to select where to boot from without changing any settings. You can't just mount the ISO in Windows to install. Like I said, use UNetBootin to change the ISO into a bootable flash drive. And yes, you can run Open Office and customize your interface.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB

alright now i got it on the flash drive ready for install, but if i do this i wont loose all my files or windows 7 yes? no?

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker seagrtj's Avatar
    whatever you do, do not delete the current partition, just RESIZE it. if you delete the partition, kiss windows good bye. resizing is straight forward. it will walk you through it.
    -edit - or you can just install it inside the current partition along side windows like fRed talked about.

alright now i got it on the flash drive ready for install, but if i do this i wont loose all my files or windows 7 yes? no?
    Like I said, the easiest way to do it is to install using Wubi. It installs Ubuntu like normal, except that you can uninstall it through Windows if you don't want it.

ok thanks Fred, yea i got it now. thanks no i can do shit without 7starter restrictions

ok thanks Fred, yea i got it now. thanks no i can do shit without 7starter restrictions
    Yup. I know starter is shit. Just so you know, Windows 7 Enterprise is Ultimate with no activation. Just saying <_<

Also, one thing I should point out with installing Ubuntu with Wubi is that you can't put the computer into hibernate while you're in Ubuntu. So just shut it down or put it in stand by. It's just a limitation of installing Ubuntu that way. Not a big deal, but I just thought you should know.

Alright im on Ubuntu now, but the problem is i cant get on Wifi or accress my windows documents. I can create a Wireless Connection but i dont know all my info i have my password for the conection i have on wireless but i dont have the other shit. and a program called wifi-radar ive looked up does not work or at least i dont know how i can get it to work

Setup files for programs come with the ".deb" extension (debian format).

OK so the look of this annoys me, when im at the desktop it has the taskbar at the top and stuff, but its has this sidebar that browses the the Icons instead of having them all around the place is there a way i can change it so it has the Mac OS/Win look at the desktop. and i ve looked at additional themes online and they all have the look i want, but it will not let me select to install them, my assumption is that its the Netbook version thats acctualy doing this

Wait, you're running Netbook Remix?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast