Thread: Frustrated with Ubuntu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Frustrated with Ubuntu 
    Knights of War PSP Elite Hacker KoW210's Avatar
    Okay I've been having this problem and nothing seems to fix it.

[ubuntu] Unable to boot XP after installing Ubuntu - Ubuntu Forums

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    sounds like your install from USB was a problem, I assume you used noviocorp win2flash?

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

No, like I said in chat, Novicorp never worked for me.

When you boot does it go directly to Ubuntu or GRUB?
    GET YOUR TUBES OUT OF MY INTERWEBERNETS!

GRUB
    /filla

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    well you said you didn't wanna wipe cause you'd loose your shit, so here's what I recommend, using ubuntu, make another partition on your HDD (size will be up to you cause this is for your shit) put all your docs, media, etc in there and then just reinstall xp, takes about 15 minutes if your slow

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

I did some more things in the thread on Ubuntu. Still nothing.

update-grub is the command which can fix ur issue

If you read the thread, I've already tried it, and it didn't work.

Member PSP User
    I've dealt with linux a lot, and therefore have dealt with this issue a lot. Your MBR (master boot record) is messed up. You will have to boot from windows disk, select recover computer or something similar of the sort, select command prompt, and type in the following commands. This will override grub completely.

The least trouble-free linux/windows dual system is having separate hard drives, first installing windows, then unplugging that HD, boot from the second HD and install linux, then plug windows HD again. You could have your auto boot be the windows HD, and you can select from boot menu to start linux whenever you start the comp. Neither HDs will interfere with each other, and you can also view the folders within the windows HD using linux. I use an 7 year-old laptop 40GB 2.5 drive(free) in an enclosure($10); you can boot from any computer and have your personalized system.

I use linux on a daily basis for university, the computer science dept. tries to eliminate windows dependence.

Whenever I come to this problem tho, I just back up my data by using a linux live cd and an external HD, you can view the folders in windows and drag and drop. Then reformat/reinstall windows.

EDIT: forgot to post commands - Info on fixmbr

After reading the Ubuntu forum posts, I now see the added pain of using a netbook. If you have not fixed this, the easiest solution would be to back up your data using a linux live USB and an external HD, then recovering by reformatting and reinstalling windows.

I know that there are other ways to fix this but I don't bother. Windows gets upset with a dual boot on the same HD, and sooner or later you will run into this issue using it or many others, esp with Ubuntu 10.04, over and over again. Highly recommend a second external HD w/Ubuntu 9.04, I find them by scrapping peoples old comps; Youd be surprised how many people have old comp equipment piled somewhere in their house that they consider garbage, esp old crappy dells and compaq laptops, with a bit of effort from asking friends and family, you will surely come across a suitable drive for free. A 2.5 drive is just as portable as the netbook, just a slight addition

with ubuntu 9.04 i have had the dual boot config on the same hd work for some time, but like i said eventually you will do something on accident that will damage that MBR and/or GRUB
    Last edited by KrzykidKrisB; 10-11-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    I was going to say that too, until I actually read the post he linked to.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

What he said didn't help me at all....

If you read the thread on the Ubuntu forums, I've already done that shit, except for reinstalling Windows XP, which I cannot right now due to the amount of time it would take to do it and install updates, reinstall programs, etc.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    Last resort you can reinstall XP on top of your current installation (just the system files). Go through installation and choose where it's currently installed and it'll do it.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

That's a good idea I'll try that.

Member PSP User
    what i said is all there is, you either fix mbr or grub like the forum you posted said, or you reinstall xp. thats it

EDIT : The best way to fix mbr is what I have posted, if you cant do that then fix mbr from linux command line. Either way it will fix your problem but I believe you wont be able to access linux after that, so you will either have to reinstall grub to try to get it back, or you can go to disk management and reformat that partition I believe. These are all pains in the butt that I've had to deal with, which is why i just go ahead and reformat/reinstall immediately and start over fresh, its the least-problematic approach if you backup your data frequently.

Instruc from linux

And I don't think reinstalling windows system files will work, I've tried that b4 but I could be wrong
    Last edited by KrzykidKrisB; 10-11-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast