Thread: Install MAC OS 7 on your PSP

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Install MAC OS 7 on your PSP 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    Yes you can run MAC OS 7 on your PSP, this is not a lame web portal.

Moving on, In the download provided is everything you need just place in the game folder and run. OS 7 is now free ware on apple's website so I don't want to hear your crap about me discussing illegal downloads. Also the Mac Quadra rom included is now abandon ware, so this is completely legit, unlike the win95 emulator that allows you to run win95 on your PSP, when you potentially do not own a legal copy. YAY FOR APPLE!!

There are two versions of this emulator
    one is true color, and has some speed issues
    the other is fake color and it's speed and load time are impressive (this the one I chose to include)

Okay as mentioned you want to download and place the files in your game folder. Boot it up.

The analog controls the pointer at what is called speed 2
    the d pad will control the pointerat speed 1 to get more precise control to click smaller buttons

WARNING!!!!
    do not try to drag windows, it causes it to crash and it will not recover.
    Also if you choose to exit via home button without shutting the "Mac: down it will give you an error message upon next boot, that has a messed up resolution and you cannot access the OK button, because it is off screen. Just press start and it will go away.

Here are some Pics

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::
    BETA RELEASE

I dedicate my first release to the people that hated on the idea.

Okay this is a very beta release.

Dragging a window still causes a crash, so just don't do it.

Working apps include

stuff it expander
    disk mount
    jig saw puzzle
    and glider (no controls supported yet)

I know its pretty weak, but I had to get stuff-it and disk mount working in a stable environment; to lay a foundation for later additions.

Included are
    a 130mb "hard drive" with system 7.5.3 Installed
    a disk image with the install files
    a network boot disk (in case you mess this up and actually have to use the install files)
    another mac.rom

you will need to completely delete you previous Basilisk II files if you have them.

3.03 OE users
    extract and place in the game folder
    no need for dual folder set-ups, it just works this way.
    with the kernel set to 1.5
    do not include the networkboot.dsk in the Basilisk II directory, only the Sysyem.dsk, EBOOT, .xpram, and Mac.rom
    put the network boot and install aside in case you need them.
    by not "mounting" these drives you will save some boot time.
    boot time is about 15-20 seconds.
    faster than a real mac quadra (the rom you will use)

I am looking into the real color version, and making it not as slow; since the fake color is just lame.

Always shut down your "mac" with the OS function to do so
    its under the special tab
    after doing this it will freeze or give you a glitch screen
    then you can use home to exit

just exiting to the XMB will cause the Mac to give an improper shut down screen upon next boot that runs off the screen and you cannot read. if this happens to you, just press start. you want to avoid this happening, because it sometimes freezes when attempting to re-build the desktop. avoid rebuilding the desktop at all costs, it could potentially "semi-brick" you System 7 hard-drive.

monkey island does not work. I am working on the system 7.6.1 update to hopefully square away some of the compatibility issues I am having with the apps I am trying to install. Also the "hard drive" is actually a floppy image with the install on it, but it is 103mb. Next release will be an actual HD image. So don't worry about the floppy image, its not a boot disk.

this is mostly for

darked
    outsider
    and
    popes0res

just wanted to get something out to you guys that have been down for the ride.

much more to come.

make your PSP a happy mac
    here

you can also get the .hfv explorer
    here

pretty easy to figure out, but I wll explain more about this later. I would seriously consider backing up any files before you edit them.

can access both .dsk and .hfv files.

psp
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker psp's Avatar
    dude thats cool as shit, if i was you id go post this on qj so you can get help there to make it better,

hey you might make the front page to

if you dont then i will, do it for you and give you credit
    PSP is back!!!

PSP modder
    l Rockin the 3.90 M33-3 Fat psp l Paintball Player l Reppin and sponsored by Dynamic Games Paintball

you can download this on qj but the post is from like 2005. like I said it has been abandoned, but I'm gonna spruce this sucka up.

psp
    sounds awesome, hmmm im not sure how well you can make this, the psp has only 32 mbs of ram, thays why the os really has nothing, i think this as some real potential, but icant really help you,

but if you want a skin for that eboot illl create you one
    PSP is back!!!

PSP modder
    l Rockin the 3.90 M33-3 Fat psp l Paintball Player l Reppin and sponsored by Dynamic Games Paintball

ya but the great thing about that is, the Mac quadra did not have that much RAM stock.

Check the specs

# introduced 1993.10.21; discontinued 1994.09.12
    # requires System 7.1 or later; highest version supported without a PPC upgrade is Mac OS 8.1.
    # CPU: 33 MHz 68040 CPU
    # performance: 14.6, relative to SE; 21.9, Speedometer 3; 1.19, Speedometer 4; 29 MIPS
    see Benchmarks: Quadra 650 for more details
    # ROM: 1 MB
    # RAM: 4 MB or 8 MB on motherboard, expandable to 132MB or 136MB using 80ns 72-pin SIMMs; motherboard had 4 SIMM slots which can be filled individually but should ideally be filled in interleaved pairs; can use 4 MB, 8 MB, 16 MB, and 32 MB SIMMs
    # video: 512 KB VRAM, expandable to 1 MB

* 512 x 384 @ 16-bit
    * 640 x 480, 800 x 600, 832 x 624: 8-bit @ 512 KB, 16-bit @ 1 MB
    * 832 x 624, 1024 x 768, 1152 x 870: 4-bit @ 512 KB, 8-bit @ 1 MB

So technically the PSP is a faster machine than this. Thats the problem with the other OS ports, they are OSs designed for computers that have more processing power than the PSP. The PSP has a lot more power than the quadra. Also OS 7 allows memory paging, so if that can somehow be re-directed to the MS to page files, the memory would be as much free space as you could provide. I appreciate the input, thats what I am looking for, but I thought of that before I decided to post. ANy other thoughts, suggestions, or harassment is welcome.

Also this could potentially support OS 8, but since it is more demanding I think the best route to develop is the older stuff. If I could get this thing to boot open firmware (Mac firmware not PSP, thats probably french to you PC users) there are some good possibilities.

Member PSP User
    yeah, but why? OS 7 was absolute shit then, and it's still shit now... why would you want to run it? oh yeah, i know.. because you can... but still... sure, it's kinda fun seeing another OS run on the PSP.. but once you get over that, what's left? a slow and unresponsive, unstable, emulated OS you can't do much with.

well what OS would you recommend let me guess XP. good luck running that buddy. The point here is that OS 7 provides an OS that is useable and has some potential. your not going to find a better one, unless you port windows 3.1 (yuck) and then you will have microsoft all over your ass, cause thats not abandonware. if you think you have a better answer, provide it.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by urineanus
    well what OS would you recommend let me guess XP. good luck running that buddy. The point here is that OS 7 provides an OS that is useable and has some potential. your not going to find a better one, unless you port windows 3.1 (yuck) and then you will have microsoft all over your ass, cause thats not abandonware. if you think you have a better answer, provide it.
    I agree. I'd definitely run it if you can get it working with 3.XX Open.

Thats the plan. Stay tuned. this will take awhile since I know jack-shit about editing an EBOOT.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker mime's Avatar
    I wish you luck man! I have no idea how the thing is, but iif you have the feeling for it, GO for it! and trust yourself.

Hope to see good news !

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Madd Kat's Avatar
    http://nothickmanuals.info/doku.php?id=minivmac
    this is a port of mac 7 for windows, Mac, Linux, PocketPC users.

its if you want to mess with the mac os on your puter.

BTW good project.. seen it awhile ago on qj
    hopefully you can get it going again.

I may be able to type, but spelling is something I forgot to learn...

psp
    honestly i would try to port over those pocket pc os to the psp, those poclet pcs have more ram than the psp, but after you strip a few things out itll be good,

if you want, i can give you portable xp, basically its an xp operating system that can boot computers from flash drives, im not sure if it help but hey if you get xp on the psp it be great,

Quote Originally Posted by kloan
    yeah, but why? OS 7 was absolute shit then, and it's still shit now... why would you want to run it? oh yeah, i know.. because you can... but still... sure, it's kinda fun seeing another OS run on the PSP.. but once you get over that, what's left? a slow and unresponsive, unstable, emulated OS you can't do much with.
    you're right but look at it this way, this is just one more step in psp emulation, if this doesnt get done, then seeing a good os on the psp wont be possible, people got to start from the ground up
    PSP is back!!!

PSP modder

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Snookao's Avatar
    Ya but still the OP on handheld computer phones are still copyrighted. That would be illiegal
    "Owned" (often typed in leet speak among gamers) is an internet slang word used commonly in gaming circles to acknowledge a form of superiority through the downfall of another entity, be it another gaming clan, or a single user.

If your not first, your last- Talladega Nights

psp
    yea thats right, its not illegal if he doesnt release it, but i just want to see if its possible
    PSP is back!!!

PSP modder

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker outsider's Avatar
    This project should be interesting.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast