Thread: How to use a PSP with a Mac, the right way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 How to use a PSP with a Mac, the right way. 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    Use your PSP with a Mac

I have been getting some PM's about this so I decided to make up a guide right quick.

I dislike all apps I have found to manage the PSP via a Mac. they are all piss poor. So I will show you the quickest, easies, and best way to do this in OS X with out corrupting your data.

How to do it in OS X
    (There will be an OS 9 guide after this, props to the OS 9 peeps)

Obviously you are going to need a PSP and a USB cord for it. As well as a Macintosh machine.

1. The first thing you want to do is attach the usb cord to the PSP and to a USB port on your machine.

2. Next select USB connection from the XMB

3. you should now see an icon for you PSP appear on the desktop as well as your drive list in the left hand side of finder. It will not say PSP unless you name the drive that. By default it will be untitled.

You should now see something similar to this, keep in mind your icons will be different since I run shapeshifter.

Alright now open up your PSP from desktop or finder. Now is where things start to differ frmo windows a bit, but not too much.

I find it is best to have two open finder windows vs the old drag and drop navigation of one finder window. You can easily transfer your files from your mac to your PSP with the two finder windows, like the example below.

Just drag and drop from wherever the files you need are on your mac to the directory on your PSP that they need to go in.

This is the most important part of the process!!!!
    Always, I repeat Always; eject the PSP drive from finder before disconnecting the connection via your PSP. If you exit out of the USB connection on your PSP before ejecting the drive from finder it will corrupt your data. The most frustrating part about this is that the data is still there but you cannot access it. I can't count how many times I have been drinking and have f*cked up and done this. I now have to start over on call of duty because I did not eject the drive and my save data went out the window. which sucks because I was like 86% done with the game.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO EJECT YOU PSP DRIVE IN FINDER FIRST!!!

I have to boot in OS 9 to do a guide for it, I will brb with the second part.

OS 9
    Major props to anyone that will actually use the OS 9 guide because they still run it. Os 9 never dies! I use it at least 2-3 times a week. It is still a very capable OS. However if you plan to use your PSP in OS9 hope you have a USB 1.0 port. 2.0 ports can be tricky to get to register in OS9 sometimes so just go for the 1.0, my 2.0 works in OS9 but how and why is not relevant to this thread and would take much detail to explain. The ability to do so differs from machine to machine as well relying on your firmware revision (mac FW not PSP FW)

It's pretty much the same for OS9, connect and enable USB connection. OS 9 will think that it is a serial drive and will show an icon as such. It will be untitled untill you title it.

open you two windows and get to drag and dropping whatever it is you are doing. The difference here is the way you eject the drive. click the PSP drive once and go to the file menu of finder and select "put away". The shortcut for this is command + y. Check out the screen shot for visuals.

ejecting the drive before disconnecting the connection on the XMB is just as important for OS 9 as it is for OS X!!!! You can and will get data corruption if you do not eject first.

If you are a Mac noob and/or PSP noob you should now have a handle on how to get things going. If you are having Mac troubles shoot me a PM I will be glad to help out a fellow user.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    nice tut man, how did i know...

urineanus and a mac, you guys should be married by now

I guess some members are considering me the resident mac expert of sorts. Rather than explain all of this via PM over and over I decided to make a guide.

although these are very basic operations and I dont know how people are confused about this.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker bender123's Avatar
    NIBBLER!! lol...

Good Tut dude, I'm sure some Mac users will find this helpful. It's cool you did it for 2 different OS types.
    Please could you stop the noise, I'm trying get some rest
    From all the unborn chicken voices in my head
    What's that...? (I may be paranoid, but not an android)
    What's that...? (I may be paranoid, but not an android)

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker matrixsucks's Avatar
    Could you resize the images? They are a wee bit big . Thanks ahead of time, and I'm sure I would be thanking you for the tutorial if I was a Mac user.
    Today has been the most beautiful day I've ever seen.

fixed images

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    wow, those are some nice "files" you have in that second pic....

nice tut btw, i hate macs, but nice tut.

I did not really think about using that directory as an example in the screen shot, didn't notice it until you mentioned it. whoops.

macs hate you to.

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    hmmm... this is giving me ideas. i wonder if our forum would benefit from a dedicated mac section. it might, but i dont know how many mac users are psp modders too
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member I Modded My PSP WarstrongXan's Avatar
    I'd appreciate that, you could make a poll on it....
    Nice tut, helps mac people who are new to using a removable drive. I don't connect my psp to my mac if i can help it simply because it seems that afterwards my PC doesn't like my PSP much.

I volunteer to run this mac section

I suggested a section a couple of months ago

might be worth adding IF theres enough content to be ran and if we have enough mac users on the forum. if u want to, make a poll to see how many mac users exist on the forum
    R.I.P Zoidberg

I will do that, however I already know 3249 f*cktards are going to come and slander the mac, rather than participate in the poll. Including myself I know of 6 members that use macs. Most of them are not frequent users, just people I noticed dropping in for a brief ammount of time.

anyone that slanders it will have their post removed. i want this to be a positive poll to see if a slight pspmod.com expansion is in order. we might not have alot of registered mac users, but that doesnt mean unregistered psp users arnt viewing the forum. maybe we'd get more members w/ a mac section
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Corpsey's Avatar
    As long as you let it fully write the information, you don't have to press the eject button. I use to use the Eject button, but I never use it anymore. I don't even use it while screwing with the Flash drive of my PSP.

Nice tutorial, though. I think that the Macintosh interface is way easier and more organized than PC's interfaces, so it is much easier on a Mac, IMO.

EDIT: Nice theme, do you use shapeshifter? I used the trial, but most of my Favorite themes slowed down my machine, so I never did buy the full version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast