Thread: PSPMOD Widget in development

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 PSPMOD Widget in development 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    For anyone reading the Mac section poll thread you might have read my post about developing a widget for PSPMOD. Well I have been working on it and I have a rough concept so I thought I would get some suggestions from you the users since you will be the ones potentially making use of the widget.

Disclaimer:
    If anyone rips my widget idea off, I will track you down and mess you up. Also for anyone who does not know, widgets are small applications that can be run in the dashboard of OS X. They make things like google searches, weather, and other things easily avaialable from your desktop. I even have a really cool one that does 3d ip address look ups in google earth. So like I said rip me off and I will find you.

This widget will be useable in 10.4.0 and up. I am mkaing it useable in leopard as well so it will not be phased out when leopard arrives in september (hopefully).

this is not a gadget and you canot use it in vista. However am entertaining the idea of converting it to work with Vista after the Mac version is complete. It should not be too hard since they both primarily run off of CSS.

So below are some screen shots of my dashboard. Obviously the widget in question here is the PSP one. I plan to make the "screen" show the first page of new posts in PSPMOD, as well as trying to throw in some kind of function to alert you of new private messages. Give me some feedback on what you think of using a PSP as the widget, or shoot any ideas you have that you think would be better.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker outsider's Avatar
    Very very nice idea. good luck.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    get rid of the white border around the psp and itll be goood

I thought about removing that stuff as well. The last pics were just to get the concept out there. Check it out now and give me some feedback.

*re-sized, sorry imageshack is being difficult today.

it will look stupid seeing the text on the back of the psp. itll look cool to see it in the psp screen itself. what does the Done button do (second pic, bottom right corner)

the site is going to be inside the screen, I have not got so far as to add in the neccessary plug-ins for that. there is a button that will flip the widget over to the back, which is the back of the PSP, the done button flips it back to the front. The back of the widget is usually used to display release information and copyrights, thats what I am going to utilize it for. I was thinking of adding a circular screen insides the chrome ring to display that inforamtion in flash animations.

yeah thatd be cool, or have the text on the 2 sides and leave the psp middle alone. either way. and i think its too big for a vista gadget.

do the gadgets not do a fullscreen overlay of the desktop with the push of a button? Or they really limited to the side only? If do thats stupid, if they are gonna rip Apple off they should have went the whole way and made themjust as flexible as widgets. Either way It would not be hard to make re-designed one for vista.

yeah vista's is only a sidebar..cant make it bigger/smaller.

well thats useless

you can run an infinite number of widgets in OS X, you can just keep stacking them. I could make a smaller one for vista in the future.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker outsider's Avatar
    yea you should, i dunno, im thinking of installing os x on my pc, how easy is it?

Wow, Now that is making me want to get a Mac, can you do more than just pspmod? like a widget for myspace and a few other things? But that is pretty effing cool man, i congratulate you and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by outsider
    yea you should, i dunno, im thinking of installing os x on my pc, how easy is it?
    you might find some help over at this forum

http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiver...hp/t24819.html

I know darked has made a hackintosh before, you might want to PM him for some resources. From what I hear it is not all that difficult, it just relies on having the right hardware. The biggest problems I have read about is the NIC card compatibility. I don't think any built in ethernet ports are known to work, you will have to use a PCI NIC card that works. Besides that their are minor bugs here and there since you will be running OS X on non-apple hardware. You will also have to get you hands on a version of OS X (x86), TPB *cough *cough

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    i think the widget should be fully fuctional as if you were surfing the net via a real psp... same controls and everything... only the mouse will control the mouse on the psp screen. its a lil silly since you have a full size browser on the comp, but it would be cool to be able to check pspmod and see if theres anything worth replying to or anything.
    R.I.P Zoidberg

being able to check new posts is the whole concept. It would be cool to implement the same functions as the psp with the widget, however I do think that those functions will make the 1.0 release. This is my first widget so it is a learning experience. I was proud just to get the basic model working in my dashboard. The more used widget/gadget is going to be the vista version since most people rock windows around here. However the limited space of the sidebar will call for a different design that is more stripped down.

I will see what I can do for 1.0, I welcome everyone's suggestions and there will updates as I get to them. The sad part is that only like 5 PSPMOD members will actually be able to use the widget. So iplan on getting that gadget out soon as well, but first I will have to perfect the widget. It is really rad that Apple has shared their DEV tools with me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast