Thread: :::::Ulitmate Mac model guide:::::

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 :::::Ulitmate Mac model guide::::: 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    Since I have been having a lot of PM inquiries as to what Macintosh model is a good first Mac, I’m going to spell it all out here.

***Much of the info/specs provided come from wikipedia, Mactracker, Xlr8yourmac, and low end Mac.***

We will start from, older models and progress to Newer ones.

G3 Family:

The G3 line is dated but still packs some punch in certain models. Once a industry leader these old Macs still have some new tricks.

G3 iMac:
    Is a piece of shit. Yes I just called an Apple product shit. These things are novelty machines that run OS X like a joke. If you want a dedicated OS 9 machine then you can get one on the cheap. I avoid them like the plague. They lack ability to adapt to modern demands. The optical drives in these came in tray and slot loading. The slot loaders are crap, and will get CDs stuck in a heartbeat. This little machine made Macs cool again in the late 90's, but thats about all it did. Everyone went out to buy one, therefore they are cheap. If you wanted to get old skool you could get one and make it a dedicated OS 8 machine. Opening one up to replace and do what little upgrades they will accept is a big pain in the ass, since they are monitors with computers inside. They are also pretty prone to Motherboard failure. You can own a piece of computing history, even if it is a piece of shit. I personally do not have one.

Final Score:
    1/10
    It gets a 1 for launching Macintosh into popularity again, and for being the first machine designed after Steve's return to Apple. Other than that I despise these little turds.

Yosemite (commonly known as the B&W):

The good old B&W, hailed as “wicked fast” by reviewers in 1999. This was a modern revision of the popular Power Mac G3 tower (referred to as a beige G3 from here on out). This took some build hints from the iMac, which was selling out at the time. The update to the G3 Powermac was more than just a different case. It put on board firewire and USB onboard, a first for the Powermac line. Another first was the stock DVD-ROM drive included, extremely cutting edge in 1999. The G3 PPC also got a speed boost from the previous 266mhz to 300mhz. The bus speed also increased from 66mhz to 100mhz. There were a couple of variations in the processor speeds. Throughout the life of the B&W there were variations of 300,350,400, and 450mhz.

Important things to know about the B&W:

There were two revisions of the Motherboard. You want a REV 2, buying a REV 1 is a big mistake.

Here’s how you can determine MB Revision:

Revised IDE Controller Chip to provide improved IDE Slave drive support. The revised CMD646 IDE controller chip can be identified by the "402" marking next to the part number.

The G3 ZIF processor is also easily over clocked by rearranging some jumpers on the Motherboard. This will void that warranty you don’t have by the way.

There will be a blue jumper block on top of the actual pins underneath the sticker. Take it off and set it aside somewhere because you may need it someday. You can use Hard drive jumpers on the pins, I did. They don’t exactly fit but they function fine; however dropping a couple of bucks at you favorite electronic components retailer won’t kill you. The jumper settings are as follows.

CPU Speeds Listed Assume 100MHz (default) Bus Speed

(S = Jumper present or "Set", " " = no jumper)

Multiple | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |
    -------------+---+---+---+---+
    3x (300MHz)| | S | S | S |
    3.5x (350MHz)| | | | S |
    4x (400MHz)| | S | | S |
    4.5x (450MHz)| S | | | |
    5x (500Mhz)| | S | | |
    5.5x (550MHz)| | S | S | |
    6x (600Mhz)| | | S | |
    6.5x (650Mhz)| S | | S | |
    7x (700Mhz)| S | S | | S |

Be sure to look at your jumper block to indicate the positions for the bottom jumpers, they should be set exactly the same; only 1-4 should be altered. The other jumpers are not to be changed in the other positions; they control the PCI & bus speed

I know it says 700mhz top clock speed, but slow your roll. If you over clock you G3, adding a fan will really help. They run fanless heatsinks in stock form. I attached a PC fan to my standard heatsink and went from 350 to 450 with out crashes.

Realistically without putting liquid cooling on a G3 you speed will go up 50mhz easily, and 100-150mhz by using extended cooling measures. There are people that have 450mhz G3 PPCs clocked to 600mhz, but they have used different heatsinks and added fans. 700mhz was an option built into the board but it was never a reality for the PPC in a G3.

My take on the G3:

Well I own one, and it was my first Mac. Therefore I hold a special place for this model. It no longer boots a Mac OS, and is a dedicated Linux Machine, or was before I dismantled it. I plan on experimenting with painting Powermac cases using its case, since it is not in the greatest cosmetic shape. I say if you are going on the EXTREME cheap go with a B&W. Run 10.2 or 10.3, because tiger is not going to find a happy home on a B&W. It takes pc100/133 RAM and can be maxed out a 1GB. I would also suggest getting a Radeon 7000 or 9000 PCI videocard for a PC and flashing it for Mac. Putting too many assets into a B&W is foolish, and I suggest G4 powermacs over G3 versions.

Final score
    2/10
    A good machine, running OS X however can give a bad experience with the amazing OS. Great for Ubuntu and OS 9.

Clamshell iBook:

The clamshells also adopted the iMac style, and were offered in several different colors. They were also the first laptops able to use Apple’s airport WIFI technology. Their compact size and low weight set the standard for all laptops to come.

Variations of the Clamshell:

iBook G3 (July 21, 1999) – First iBook (Tangerine, Blueberry)
    12.1-inch Active-matrix TFT Display (800x600 max resolution)
    PowerPC G3 300 MHz
    66 MHz bus
    32 MiB RAM (soldered to logic board)
    Expandable to 544 MiB (288 MiB specified by Apple)
    4 MiB ATI Rage Mobility AGP 2x
    3 GB Hard Disk (ATA-33 Controller)
    CD-ROM
    USB, Ethernet
    Airport (802.11b, optional)
    Mac OS 8.6

iBook G3 SE (February 16, 2000) – Minor addition to existing line (Graphite)
    366 MHz
    64 MiB RAM (soldered to Logic Board)
    Expandable to 576 MiB (320 MiB specified by Apple)
    Mac OS 9.0.2
    6 GB Hard disk
    (Other Specifications Same as iBook)

iBook G3 Firewire/SE (September 13, 2000) – Major revision (Graphite, Indigo, Key-lime)
    12.1-inch Active-matrix TFT Display (800x600 max resolution)
    G3 366/466 MHz
    64 MiB RAM
    8 MiB ATI Rage 128 Mobility AGP 2x
    10 GB Hard Disk (ATA-66 Controller)
    CD-ROM/4x DVD-ROM
    USB, Firewire, Video Out (through a special 3.5mm cable), Ethernet
    Mac OS 9.0.4
    (Other Specifications same as iBook and iBook SE)

Important information about the models:

-Tiger requires firewire, therefore models without it are limited to 10.3 (panther) as the newest possible OS.

-Clamshells Max out on RAM at 576MB

My take on Clamshells:

Clamshells made computing history. They are neat, but don’t really have what it takes to run in today’s world. I would HIGHLY suggest going for the Firewire version using a 466mhz PPC. However, I would avoid using tiger on one. I would actually suggest 10.1 or 10.2 due to it having a slightly slower bus speed than its big brother the B&W. My maximum OS X recommendation is Panther (10.3). A clamshell with an airport card could be a good couch surfer while running Puma (10.1) or Jaguar (10.2). I don’t really ever suggest cheetah (10.0) since the kinks of OS X were ironed out and more functionality was added to later versions.

Final Score:

2.5/10

It gets slightly higher score than the B&W since it provides near the same specs, but is portable and WIFI capable. It does not get an extra full point because of its RAM limitations and slower BUS speed.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

iBook G3 Dual USB (12.1-inch & 14.1-inch):

A major upgrade to the iBook, these paved the way to Apple’s current style for its laptops.

iBook G3 Dual USB (May 1, 2001) – Second Generation iBook G3
    12.1-inch Active-matrix TFT Display (1024x768 max resolution)
    PowerPC G3 500 MHz
    256 KiB L2 cache
    64 or 128 MiB RAM
    ATI Rage Mobility 8 MiB VRAM
    10 GB Hard Disk
    CD/CDRW/DVD/Combo
    USB 1.1, Firewire, Video Out, Ethernet
    Mac OS 9.1
    2.2 kg

iBook G3 Dual USB Late 2001 (October 16, 2001) - Minor revision
    600 MHz
    15 GB Hard Disk (most models)
    Mac OS X 10.1
    (Other Specifications Same as Dual USB)

iBook G3 14-inch (January 7, 2002) – New model, larger 14-inch display
    14-inch Active-matrix TFT Display (1024x768 max resolution)
    512 KiB L2 cache
    256 MiB RAM
    (Other Specifications Same as Dual USB Late 2001)

iBook G3 Mid 2002 (May 20, 2002) – Minor revision
    600/700 MHz
    ATI Mobility Radeon 16M VRAM
    Mac OS X 10.1
    (Other Specifications Same as 14-inch)

iBook G3 Early 2003 (April 22, 2003) – Minor revision
    800/900 MHz
    ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 32M VRAM
    30/40GB Hard drive
    Mac OS X 10.2
    (Other Specifications Same as Mid 2002)

All the G3 iBooks max out RAM at 640mb

The latter versions had a 100mhz bus speed starting from the 14-inch models, although it was an option on one earlier revision

My take on G3 iBooks:

The G3 iBooks are decent little Macs. If possible shoot for an 800/900mhz model to be able to run tiger full force. A 500mhz model can run tiger but might be slightly laggy with OS animations. With an airport card and Max RAM you have a very capable Macintosh laptop. These are still quite useable.

Final Score:
    6/10

It gets a higher score for its capabilities as a budget Mac. The performance can leave something to be desired when compared to newer Mac Laptops, but for the right price this is a best buy; OS X on the go for less $. Prices for G3 iBook parts on Ebay are decent. If you have the skills and determination, you could build your own for less. A rewarding project I would say. I might look into doing that myself.

:::::::::::::::::::::

G3 honorable mentions:

G3 powerbook:

The Powerbook was the fastest Laptop available on the market in 1997. The first models the only G3 systems not officially capable of running OS X. A download of X Post Facto can make OS X a possibility, however would be a terrible decision. The later revisions code named “Pismo” can run OS X ; and come in flavors that can have speeds up to 500mhz. The last versions had firewire, making them tiger capable. Only the firewire versions support an airport card. Unless you find a 500mhz firewire model with an airport card, the Pismos are not the best options. Even at 500mhz and firewire I suggest the newest OS to be, once again, Panther. 512mb maximum RAM for all versions, except the firewire, which maxes out at 1gb, and the first version which maxes out at 160MB. First versions have a 50mhz BUS, others have 66mhz, and only the firewire version has a 100mhz BUS. A firewire Pismo with 1gb of memory running at 500mhz with an airport card is not a bad panther machine. However, that would be a hard find. The white G3 iBook is in the same price range and is the better deal.

Final Score:

2/10

A maxed out firewire version is a hard find and the white G3 iBooks are just a better setup all around.

Beige G3:

The first of the Powermacs, debuted as a beast back in its day. Not useable for much, although there is a cult of people running OS X on these. The price of an aftermarket processor upgrade is sometimes double what you will pay for the system. Max Apple PPC speed is 333mhz and max RAM is 768mb. I actually turned a freebie desktop version of one of these down the other day, since I have a B&W. I should also mention these are really heavy systems.

Final Score:

.5/10

Not practical at all, and very un-s3xy. Good for OS 9.

G4 Family:

The G4 line is perfect for a first Mac. Overall this is the direction I would push anyone wanting a first Mac in.

G4 PowerMac:

I am the proud owner of a G4 PowerMac, and I love it. They come in many flavors.

Yikes!:

The yikes! is a B&W board, minus an ADB port, with a G4 PPC in a different case. I would avoid them, since they are a Frankenstein B&W.

350 or 400mhz
    max RAM is 1GB.

Identical to a B&W, there was supposed to be a 500mhz model but it never saw the light of day with the introduction of the Sawtooth.

My take on Yikes!:

Best avoided, almost identical to B&W for more $$, way to go Apple.

Final Score:

1.5/10

Same thing as a B&W only a .5 increase for the better looking case.

Sawtooth:

(note: the sawtooth case is graphite, and the yikes! has a more blue tone.)

The Sawtooth was major update to the PowerMac line, The old B&W motherboard was out and a new AGP graphics board was in. These are the first PowerMacs capable of using an airport card.

Available in 350/400/450/500mhz flavors
    Max RAM 2GB.

They were still rocking a ATI Rage 128 video card, it was just now an AGP version. Updating your video card to play nicer with OS X animations and DVD playback is not hard or expensive. Many PC AGP cards are able to flash to Mac. Since you won’t be doing any modern gaming on this rig you don’t have too shoot to high with video card specs , a little dab will do ya, therefore you can get PC cards used for cheap.

These are a great platform to start with. Many companies market aftermarket processors that literally are plug and play.

One warning on upgrading to an aftermarket processor:

Most of these ZIF upgrades require the latest firmware for your Mac if you’re going to run OS X. The catch here is that FW updates can only be performed under OS 9, and a lot of the ZIFs require OS 9.2 to run. So always be sure to have an OS 9.2 install ready when upgrading your ZIF. It is possible to screw yourself and have to put the original PPC in to get it to boot so you can make the appropriate changes.

My take on the Sawtooth:

This is an excellent first Mac that can run tiger no problem with slight upgrades. If your not wanting to dish out $$ on a ZIF, definitely max your RAM and flash a better video card for your Sawtooth. I have to recommend spending around $100 or less on the Mac and around another $100 on a ZIF upgrade. Add some RAM and a flashed card and you are in business with a modern Mac. In that state with a 1.2ghz PPC you are Leopard ready.

Final Score:

7/10

Leopard ready for around $300-$350, a definite best buy. Apple is slowly brushing PPC Macs aside, but unofficial support for them is not going away anytime soon. Many Macintosh diehards refuse to make the jump to Intel Macs, which makes for a nice foundation for a third-party supportive community.

Gigabit Ethernet:

Identical looks to the Sawtooth, with the introduction of dual processor support and an accelerated Ethernet port. This was THE machine for graphic design when it released due to the dual PPC setup.

-Available in 400/dual 450/ and dual 500mhz flavors
    -2GB Max RAM
    - still using the RAGE 128
    - still at a 100mhz BUS
    - 2 AGP slots for dual AGP card support.

My take on the Gigabit:

Even though the Gigabit was the first G4 with dual PPC support, it pails in comparison to the later G4 PowerMacs. There are aftermarket dual processor upgrades available, although a dual 500mhz is enough Mac for general use.

Final Score:

5/10

Lower score than the Sawtooth since they will be more costly thus making them less of a deal for the minimal performance boost. Also the later G4 Models had more juice and better looks, essentially making the Gigabit an often looked over middle child.

Digital Audio:

Same looks as the sawtooth

Not to overlook the short-lived digital Audio, it is more of a beta to the later G4 PowerMacs than a major upgrade. It was the first PowerMac to leave the RAGE 128 behind and go with an Nvidia card. Another first for the PowerMac line was that the high-end version was the first to ship with a DVD-R. For whatever reason(s) the RAM slots were reduced from four to three.

-Available in 466/533/dual 533/667/733mhz flavors
    - Three slots made for 1.5GB max RAM
    -64MB Nvidia card on high-end version only

My take on the Digital Audio:
    Pretty much in the same boat as the Gigabit.

Final score:

5.5/10

Slight increase for better stock PPC options. Not giving it a full point increase due to the asinine logic of reducing Max RAM. The Video card and DVD-R don’t play that much of a factor to me since they are easily and cheaply implicated on previous G4 models.

Quicksilver:

The first of the new G4 PowerMacs, it made some improvements in a new stylish case. With processor speeds ranging from 733 to 867 MHz, the G4 had the power to outperform any Pentium 4 machine made at the time. The top of the line was a dual 800 MHz machine.

733/867/dual 800 MHz
    1.5 Gb Max Ram
    133mhz BUS
    nVidia GeForce2 MX

This machine originally shipped with both OS 9 and OS X installed.

My take on the Quicksilver:

The Quicksilver was a leap of progress for Apple. This is not a bad Mac, especially the dual PPC machine. Any PPC configuration offered will run Tiger without a hitch, as long as you have at least 896mb RAM. I think the case has a much cleaner look than the previous models.

Final Score:

6/10

It gets a slight increase in score over the Digital Audio. If possible, it’s better to hold out for the second edition Quicksilver in my opinion.

Quicksilver (2nd edition):

Same case as the original Quicksilver

With this Quicksilver re-release Apple broke the 1ghz barrier, and then doubled it. This edition is the first Mac adhering to the standards they are held to in modern day. Although the Max RAM is still 1.5GB, the Quicksilver is an excellent choice.

800/933/ and dual 1ghz flavors
    1.5GB Max RAM
    133mhz BUS
    First to offer the Radeon 7000 Video card

My take on the 2nd edition Quicksilver:

Most definitely a nice first Mac, the dual 1ghz is the only way to go once you are in this price range. If you opt for the dual 1ghz you have a Mac ready to tackle leopard. If you buy this and decide you don’t like Macs, the resell value on these is great. You will be able to sell at the same price you bought for on EBay. This version is the better of the two Quicksilver models.

Final Score:

7.5/10

A historic model and still a contender.

Mirror Door Drive (MDD):

The last of the Mighty G4 PowerMacs, they are known to give G5 PowerMacs a run for their money. These were also released at some “budget” prices for Macs. Further case revisions made for a beautiful end to the G4 PowerMacs. New features for these were built in support for airport extreme, Bluetooth compatibility, and the addition of the ATI Radeon 9000 pro Graphics card as an option.

Original Release:

Dual 867/ dual 1ghz/ dual 1.25ghz flavors
    2.0 Gb Max RAM
    133mhz BUS

FW800 Model:

Apple released a MDD with a single Firewire 800 port added on.

Dual 1ghz/ dual 1.25ghz/ dual 1.42ghz
    2GB Max RAM
    133mhz BUS

Final release (2003)

With the pending release of the G5 PowerMac line, that would not support OS 9, Apple decided to make one final OS 9 capable machine available for the diehards. This is the last PowerMac ever made that can boot into OS 9.

1.25ghz/ dual 1.25 ghz
    133mhz BUS
    2GB max RAM

My take on the MDD:

All MDD models are still supported by Apple, I don’t know for how long. This is a favorite choice of cheap Mac people who are unwilling to fork over the high price to upgrade to a G5 PowerMac or Intel machine. This includes me, I have a MDD that was originally a dual 867 and is now a dual 1.5ghz, using an aftermarket PPC. MDDs of any PPC configuration are more than tiger ready. With leopard’s release right around the corner, I would say the MDD line is a great choice. As with the Quicksilver line the re-sell value on these is still quite good, so you have the option to duck out of your investment with little to no damage.

Final score:

9/10

Ready to dominate leopard for under $500, enough said. Shoot for a dual PPC Machine.

G4 iBook:

As you can see this example of a G4 iBook is running Tiger. It is also in Japanese, and if the Japanese are using an American computer then it’s got to be good.

Introduced in 2003, the G4 iBook replaced the G3 with an even better setup.

First Version:

800mhz/933mhz/1ghz flavors
    133mhz BUS
    1.12gb Max RAM
    Available in 12’ or 14’ screen configurations

Second Version:

The second revisions included a speed bump for the PPC, larger L2 cache, twice the onboard RAM, and faster combo drives.

1/1.2ghz flavors
    1.12gb Max RAM
    133mhz BUS
    12’ and 14’ versions

Third Version:

1.33ghz standard on 14’ models

Fourth Version:

12’ inch got bumped to 1.33ghz
    14’ inch got bumped to 1.42ghz
    Max RAM bumped to 1.5GB
    Airport Extreme and Bluetooth were added as standard features.

My take on G4 iBook:

Still supported by Apple these are still demanding a higher price on the resell market, in the same since, one could be sold at a nice price. Any of the PPC options are going to run tiger nicely, just be sure to have at least 512mb RAM. I suggest the G4 iBook over the G3 if the price is in your range.

Final Score:

8/10

The G4 iBook is still supported by Apple and still a contender. With airport and tiger you are set to Mac on the go in style. Second revision and later should play nice with leopard.

G4 PowerBook:

The end of the line in the legendary PowerBook line, the G4 model came in a s3xy brushed metal case. There were a lot of configurations released all the way from 400mhz to 1.67ghz. Make no mistake this is the predecessor to the MacBook Pro.

First version:

400/500mhz
    100mhz BUS
    1gb Max RAM
    15’ screen

*I would avoid getting a first version since it has no real performance edge over a G4 iBook and the iBook can be found cheaper.

Second Version:

Inclusion of Gigabit Ethernet Port
    550/667mhz flavors
    100mhz BUS for 550/ 133mhz for 667
    Airport standard for 667mhz option

Third Version:

800mhz added as a PPC option
    133mhz BUS now standard

Fourth Version:

1ghz option available
    First laptop with a slot loading “super-drive” (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

Fifth Version:

12’ inch version made available with 867mhz PPC.
    32mb NVIDIA GeForce4 420 go Graphics

Basically a styling alternative to the white iBook, even though these PowerBook versions are slightly smaller in size than their cousins.

Sixth Version:
    17’ inch version was the largest laptop screen configuration available ever at the time.
    1ghz PPC
    BUS speed boosted to 167mhz
    Max RAM boosted to 2gb

Seventh version:

12’ model with added mini DVI port as well as USB upgraded to 2.0
    1ghz PPC
    1.25gb Max RAM

Eighth version:

15’ version with Firewire 800 ports added
    1 and 1.25ghz versions
    2gb Max RAM
    High-end version featured standard airport extreme, super-drive, and self-illuminating keyboard.

Ninth Version:

PPC Bump to 1.33ghz for 17’ model

Tenth Version:

PPC Bump to 1.33ghz for 12’ model

Eleventh Version:

PPC Bump to 1.5ghz for 17’ model
    All PowerBooks come standard with Airport extreme from this point forward.

Twelfth version:

PPC Bump to 1.5ghz for 12’

Thirteenth version:

15’ version gets a 1.67ghz PPC option
    Max RAM bumped to 2GB

Fourteenth version:

17’ gets PPC bump to 1.67ghz

Fifteenth version:

Last models to ever bare the PowerBook name

15’ and 17’ models get dual layer Super-Drives and faster RAM.
    Higher resolutions supported
    No PPC Bump

My take on G4 PowerBooks:
    These are great machines, however can be pricy on the aftermarket. Second versions and later are better to run tiger with. Since these are the predecessors to the Macbook Pro, you will find people trying to pawn them off at prices that may be a little steep; so that they can have more cash towards a Macbook Pro purchase. The aluminum cases on these make for nice aesthetics. If you are looking for something a little more than an iBook, but don’t want to pay the price of an Intel; these may be for you.

Final Score:

8.5/10

Better performers than the iBook but they don’t come as cheap. In my opinion they look better than an iBook and are a little sturdier. Due to current EBay prices being high, they don’t get a full point over the iBook. However, if you have got the cash then definitely go with a PowerBook over an iBook. The 1.33ghz models with Max RAM will provide you a Mac on the go that will be useable for quite sometime to come.

G4 iMac:

When this model was released, Steve stated that the CRT was dead; and Apple never released another CRT display.

Original Version:

700/800mhz flavors
    100mhz BUS
    1gb max RAM
    15ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†¬Å¾Ã‚¢ LCD

Second Version:

800mhz
    17ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†¬Å¾Ã‚¢ LCD

Third Version:

1ghz PPC
    133mhz BUS
    2gb max RAM
    17ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†¬Å¾Ã‚¢ LCD
    Added internal airport support

Fourth Versions:

15ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†¬Å¾Ã‚¢ model gets 1ghz PPC
    133mhz BUS
    Added USB 2.0
    2gb max RAM

17ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†¬Å¾Ã‚¢ gets boosted to 1.25ghz
    Added USB 2.0
    2gb max RAM

20ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†¬Å¾Ã‚¢ model introduced
    1.25ghz PPC
    167mhz BUS
    2gb max RAM

My take on G4 iMacs:

I find these to be very attractive Macs, which still have life left in them. They make a more stylish addition to a room than a PC tower does. The screens display beautifully. They are also WAY easier to work on than the original iMac. All the components are housed in the monitor base, which when flipped over displays an easily removable base cover. Quite easy to pull the guts out and get your hands on them.

Final score:

7/10

I like the look; the prices you find may be a little much. 1.25ghz and 1GB RAM makes you ready to tackle leopard. Stick with the original version only if you plan on not updating to leopard.
    Honorable Mentions:

G4 CUBE

People love or hate the cube. Even though they accept upgrade components from their G4 PowerMac cousins, the space available inside the case is extremely limited. Aftermarket PPC upgrades are available, at a price. There are even some dual PPC options available on the aftermarket scene. There is a devout cult following of the CUBE. Many people swear by them. They are known to shutdown when the ventilation port is blocked, which made way for people to take it on themselves to make cooling Mods. This little Mac made headway for the Mac-mini we see available today.

http://www.cubeowner.com is a good place to get cube info.

Lack of easy upgrades makes the cube more of a collectorÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢à ‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s item.

Final Score:

3/10

Although neat looking, these are not the easiest to upgrade. Best left to Mac collectors

eMac:

The successor to the original iMac, it adapted the modern Apple styling.

Available in flavors from 700mhz to 1.42ghz

Final Score:
    5/10

Higher end models run Tiger without a hitch. They are still a pain in the ass to crack open and upgrade RAM. In my opinion they are still ugly like the original iMac.

G5 Family:

This was the last showdown for the PPC before Apple gave way into x86 (Intel). No matter what some Mac addict may tell you, the PPC had just ran out of room to expand, Macs would have been left in the dust if they did not get in on x86 processing. It was a devastating blow to some Mac users that Apple was going to produce Intel units exclusively. Even though I am a big fan
    of the PPC, I have no problems with Intel Macs; they work better. This was a last shot for the PPC to strut its stuff, and it did.

G5 PowerMac:

BEAUTIFUL

The highly anticipated new PowerMac was the first to use an IBM PPC instead of a Motorola. It was also the first 64-bit machine ever available to consumers. This thing just busted out the gates ready to kick ass and take names.

First version (Q37):

1.6/1.8/ Dual 1.8/ Dual 2.0ghz flavors
    BUS speed is half of PPC speed a six fold improvement over the previous G4 PowerMacs!

Max RAM:
    4gb (1.6ghz)
    8gb(1.8ghz+)

Video card options:
    NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra
    GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
    Radeon 9800 Pro

Second Version (Q77/78):

Dual 1.8/2.0/2.5ghz flavors
    BUS speed half of PPC speed
    Added liquid cooling
    Same RAM and Video options

Third Version:

Added Dual 2.7ghz as an option

Fourth Version (Cypher):
    Added Dual core to the PPC
    2.0ghz/2.3ghz/ or Dual 2.5ghz PPC Flavors
    16gb Max RAM

Cypher was the last Mighty PPC PowerMac. This thing will still put 90% of PCs to shame. Approaching three years old, this Mac still amazes.

My take on G5 PowerMacs:

I wish I had one. The prices on these are still relatively high since their retail prices were quite high, and they are not that old. These are amazing Machines, too much $$ for a first Mac; but if you are a balla go on with your bad self. I dated this girl whose roommate had one, and I loved it. I loved it so much I put up with this girl’s crap for a little longer than I would have liked to, just so I could have access to this bad boy; simply amazing.

Final Score:

9/10

The performance ranks in heavier than the price factor. As mentioned, I would not suggest dishing out $1000 to get one if you are just Mac curious. If you did, the re-sell is amazing. They are still supported by Apple care and you could potentially find one still under coverage. WOW.

G5 iMac
    The g5 iMac was the first to take the shape of the iMac we know today. A triumphant release for the "all-in-one" Mac. The iMac is the most popular Desktop mac and has been for some time.

20-inch

1.8ghz G5 PPC
    600mhz BUS
    80gb hard drive (SATA)
    slot loading super drive
    256mb RAM (stock ammount) expandable up to 2.0GB

17 Inch
    1.6ghz G5 PPC
    600mhz BUS
    256mb RAM (expandable to 2GB)
    combo drive
    60GB Hard drive (SATA)

**There was another 17 inch version that had the specs of the 20 inch

***Other variations were released with isight cameras and available in speeds up to 2.1ghz

My take on G5 iMac:
    This is the style of iMac I like the most. I despise g3 iMacs and the eMacs. The g4 iMacs looked nice, but were lacking under the hood. Snagging a G5 iMac from someone updating to an Intel may be a decent transaction for your wallet in comparison to a trip to the Apple store.

Final Score:
    Nice aesthetics and a wonderful built in display combined with decent hardware. Upgrading the RAM is key if you actually come across a model with the 256 minimum. Opening an iMac is best left to people with skills, definitely not an experimenting job.

--------reserved--------

---reserved----

I think I have just enough space, post on.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    I'd just like to add, I bought and repaired a g3 mid-2002 ibook for just over $200. Usually their main problems are bad motherboards and bad power units. The one I got, I paid $100 for, and then I picked up a new mobo for another $100, and now it runs great. It was also the easiest laptop motherboard I've ever replaced, although getting to the other parts is more of a pain in the ass than other laptops. Excellent bargain. Great post man.

The little G3 iBook is no punk. If you have airport and panther you are ready to roll.

64 views and no feedback? shame on you leeches.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Chris3d's Avatar
    C2D MBP all the way!!!!

Yes, MacBook Pros are badass.

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    great guide urineanus. excellent work. im having no regrets putting you in charge of this section. i want the g4 powerbook i think. something decent that will run some of my games and allow me to be mobile
    R.I.P Zoidberg

@ julie-

I am sure you are aware that only Major titles make the cross platform jump between PC and Mac.

If you are looking to play things like WOW and other popular titles then the G4 Powerbook is a go. It can handle the demands of those titles. Shoot for 1.33ghz or better to insure the Mac you purchase will be useable for quite some time. A 1.33ghz PowerBook with 1gb of RAM will be leopard ready as well. Airport extreme was built in to later models so you should be ready to go. Just prepare yourself for the world of a one button mouse, and learn that command+click=second button. Once you pick up on how a Mac operates you wil be command+w/command+q/command+c/command+v/command+x like crazy. If you are the type of person that uses keyboard shortcuts in windows, it will not be hard to adapt. Just remember loose control and gain command. Almost everything is the same short cut wise. Or you could always use a two button wireless USB mouse with your powerbook, no shame in that. It will register and work just the way you would imagine. Even I use a Two button USB DELL mouse on my MDD. I hardly find the need for the second button since the shortcuts are second nature to me; but it does come in handy.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Corpsey's Avatar
    you can mae the mouse 2 click. It's not very hard. You don't need to control cick.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast