Thread: How to run linux on Mac

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 How to run linux on Mac 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    First off I admit I am a total Linux NOOB, however I know how to get it up and running on a PPC Mac.

I run Ubuntu on My Mac as a third OS. I really like it, even though I might not know how to fully use it.

Get the disc image here

Before we even get started, be prepared to use the control key for shortcuts, once you get it installed kiss the command key goodbye. It's annoying at first, but you will soon over come the obstacle.

Once you have the image, fire up Toast and burn it. Once you have burned the Disc, shut down your Mac.

I would recommend to make it easier on you, to install Ubuntu to a second Drive, to save yourself the partition management of one drive; However you can do it on one drive.

Restart your Mac and hold down the "c" key, to boot from disc. You will get a command line menu, ignore what it says and press return. You will now see the process of booting the live CD, wait and eventually you will see a graphical screen booting ubuntu.

Once you load up the live CD, double click the install icon on the desktop. Follow the instructions and make your partition accordingly, or better yet direct it to a separate drive to install to.

While it is installing you can browse the net with firefox, and even chat it up on Gaim. Linux is pretty badass like that.

When it's finished restart your Mac. Now when you boot you will get a boot menu before the Mac starts its OF to boot OS X. You can now select between linux and Mac.

You can mount HFS drives in linux so that you can access music and other data, I just can't figure it out yet. The downfall to linux is the constant need to know complex commands. Although once I figure it out, it won't seem like it was all that complex. I honestly do not spend enough time in linux to figure it out, I'm just a NOOB as of now.

The other downfall for PPC linux is the lack of a flashplayer plugin for browsers, at the moment. There are some developmental ones out, but nothing solid. So no youtube or other flash dependent browsing for now.

There are other linux distros for Mac, Yellowdog being one of them, but everyone loves ubuntu so I jumped on that bandwagon.

I wrote this guide in linux.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP whitelamp's Avatar
    This applies to the Ubuntu live cd, but should work for a regular Ubuntu installation(slightly outdated, but should work):
    http://jclark.org/weblog/2005/05/24/ubuntumount/
    What version of Ubuntu are you on 6.06 LTS/6.10/7.04 ?
    Link from this thread.

I updated to 7.04 from the live cd found on the link I posted. I believe it was 6.10

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Corpsey's Avatar
    First off, good guide.
    Second off, I've been wanting to install linux on my Mac for a while, but I had to have windows installed to do so. So this is an easier, cost-free method.

But I have a few questions before I do this.

1. Is there any risk of bricking my Mac/Hardware doing this?
    2. This will work on Intel iMacs?
    3. How big of a HDD Partition do I need? Can I change it if I want, after I've already installed Linux?
    4. Can I delete Linux and gain back that part of my HDD with no problems?
    5. Can I use files from my OS X Partition while I'm running Linux? Like say picture.jpg is on my OS X Side and I'm running linux, can I access it?

the linux link iposted is for PPC macs only. I assume you can run PC linux with bootcamp in a similar fashion like you would set up windows. I will find out soon, since I am now the owner of a new intel mac mini.

I'm pretty sure that I can boot the iso without bootcamp. I can get to the bootscreen with holding down 'c' and that jazz.

hold the option screen down during the boot process, before gray screen, for your full boot options.

Ok, I',m burning the liv CD right now, I'll tell you how it works...

I'll be right behind you putting linux on my new friend, when I get done transfering a massive amount of crap off my old G4 drive.

Intel pwns.

I can't run the Live CD without the Bootcamp.
    And I really don't want to Partition part of my HDD if I don't end up liking Linux.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Viktor Vaughn's Avatar
    I would like to add, knowing a little about Linux myself, a couple other good PPC distros are Debian and Yellowdog.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey
    First off, good guide.
    Second off, I've been wanting to install linux on my Mac for a while, but I had to have windows installed to do so. So this is an easier, cost-free method.

But I have a few questions before I do this.

1. Is there any risk of bricking my Mac/Hardware doing this?
    2. This will work on Intel iMacs?
    3. How big of a HDD Partition do I need? Can I change it if I want, after I've already installed Linux?
    4. Can I delete Linux and gain back that part of my HDD with no problems?
    5. Can I use files from my OS X Partition while I'm running Linux? Like say picture.jpg is on my OS X Side and I'm running linux, can I access it?
    0. You don't need Windows to install Linux. Ever.
    1. There is no risk of damaging your hardware. Linux WILL NOT damage your hardware.
    2. PC version with bootcamp will get you setup right and proper.
    3. You need about 10gb total for full install + a few gigs of room for more stuff. You need four partitions - / (root), /home, /boot and swap. / (root) should be at least 6GB. /home should be around 2GB. /boot should be about 250MB. Swap is virtual memory and should be 2x your amount of RAM, so if 512MB of RAM, make it a gig. If you have more than 2GB of RAM, you don't need swap
    4. Yes, you can delete the Linux partitions and resize your OS X partition at any time.
    5. I'm not entirely sure how that works with HFS. It works with all other filesystems, you can even get write support for NTFS on a Windows PC. If nothing else, you'll at least be able to get full read support. Possibly get write support.

Good luck. Hope you enjoy Ubuntu and Linux. And please, don't judge it early simply because you don't have much experience with it I swear on all that is good and just, after you learn a bit about the OS and what commands do what it becomes second nature and you reach a totally new level of freedom in your OS and software.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkED
    5. I'm not entirely sure how that works with HFS. It works with all other filesystems, you can even get write support for NTFS on a Windows PC. If nothing else, you'll at least be able to get full read support. Possibly get write support.
    Mac OS' filesystem is journaled by default, at least in my experience with OS X, so in order to resize, you'll need to disable journaling to avoid problems. Other than that, it can be resized using gparted just like any other partition.

Installing Linux w/ Bootcamp is supposedly risking loss of OS X Files, so, I'm gonna run it in VMWare Fusion first until I have access to an External HDD to backup all of my files onto.

if you have boot camp already set up for windows, put the linux cd in and hold down option while booting. select boot from CD and install to an empty partition. your now triple booting.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::
    I am on the kubuntu live CD right now, installing it. My mini will triple boot after this is done. The big 3 all on one machine windows/mac/linux. We leave BSD out on purpose, f*ck BSD. Who's poking fun @ mac now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast