Thread: iphone for us mac users?

1. #1 iphone for us mac users? 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP 808psp's Avatar
    just wanted to start this thread and find out whom is going to purchase this? Here's a review I found reading earlier about the phone.

* It feels amazing in your hand. Not like an iPod, not like a Treo ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬ ¡Ã‚¬? but something new. ItÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†¬Å¾Ã‚¢s so thin, and the rounded stainless-steel edges are so smooth, you can excuse its larger-than-Treo faÃÆâ€⠢§ade . When youâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢re on a call, itÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†¬Å¾Ã‚¢s so cool how the screen turns off to save power, thanks to its proximity sensor.
    * You operate the iPhone with your fingertips. Apart from buttons that appear on the touch screen, the only physical buttons are volume up/down, ringer on/off, sleep/wake and a Home button.
    Apple went through numerous iterations of the glass surface, trying to find one thatâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã¢ââ⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s not too slick or too rough, or that shows grease and fingerprints too much. You still get finger streaks, but theyâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã¢ââ⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re relatively subtle and a quick wipe on your sleeve takes care of them.
    * During my one test call, the sound quality was loud and clear. Of course, your mileage (and your Cingular signal) will vary.
    * Typing is difficult. The letter keys are just pictures on the glass screen, so of course thereÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡à ‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s no tactile feedback.
    Software helps a lot. You can afford to make a lot of typos as you muddle through a word, because the software analyzes which keys you *might* have meant and figures out the word you wanted. Its best guess appears just under what youâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢ve typed; if itÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†¬Å¾Ã‚¢s correct, you tap the Space bar to accept it and continue. I typed a couple of e-mail messages with lots of typos but eventually 100 percent accuracy, thanks to this auto-correct feature. (My testing didnâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã¢ââ⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t involve proper names, however.)
    Bottom line: Heavy BlackBerry addicts may not want to jump ship just yet.
    * The phone wonâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢t be available until June, so some of its software isnâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢t finished yet. As I tapped my way into obscure corners of the phone, Mr. Jobs pointed out a couple of spots where only a placeholder graphic was available.
    * Both in the onstage demo and during my hands-on hour, the Web speed was OKÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â₠šÂ¬?not great, but OK. But all of this used the phoneÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡à ‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s built-in Wi-Fi, not Cingularâ â‚ 䉉 ‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s notoriously slow Edge network. I couldnâà ƒÆ’¢â€šà ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠀šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢t help wondering how bad the speed will be when youâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢re connecting over the cellular airwaves. (Here again, though, I was playing with a prototype whose software will undergo a lot of fine-tuning between now and June.)
    * I tried out the camera. It was really cool to frame a shot using the HUGE 3.5-inch screen; itÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†¬Å¾Ã‚¢s rare to find that big a screen on any camera. The refresh rate felt typical of a camera-phone to me, but Mr. Jobs said that it would be much smoother by the time the phone is done.
    * The Web browsing experience is incredible. You see the entire Web page on the iPhoneâà ƒÆ’¢â€šà ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠀šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢s screen. You double-tap any spot to zoom in. Or you use the two-fingered spread-apart gesture to ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â €šÂ¬Ã…“stretchà ¢âââ ‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã ¢â‚¬Å¡? the image larger, or pinch your thumb and forefinger on the glass to zoom out again. The manipulation is seamless, smoothly animatedâ â‚ 䉉 €šÂ¬?and useful. Using Google Maps to get you driving directions and maps, for example, is just light-years simpler and more powerful than on any other machine, thanks to this ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â €šÂ¬Ã…“rubber Web pageâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã‚? stretching technology.
    success comes one step at a time

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    ehh, we are going to carry them @ work, but I don't know about scooping one up as of yet. I probably would not switch phone service to cingular since their service sucks. So it would be an iPod only. I think I am on the list of people that will wait for the 2nd generation iPhone.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Well im getting the helio ocean, comparing it to the iphone... how are we supposed to text with the iphone?
    and also helio offers the best plans out there, i already have convinced 5 people at work to get them, that means 5 months paid for free...

so screw cingular, get the helio ocean

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    you text with the multi touch interface that provides an on screen keyboard and software to correct your errors.

Its bad ass no doubt, but my phone makes and receives calls and my iPod is working fine. Therefore I see $600 more well spent towards a macbook pro or next gen system. Besides I reject half my calls anyway, so there is no since in paying for a fancy way to do so.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP 808psp's Avatar
    I think i'm going to wait for the second gen to come out for two reasons.

1. fix all the bugs
    2. price drop. I'm with urineanus...I can spend the $ on something else.
    success comes one step at a time