Thread: ibook power issues....AGAIN!!!

1. #1 ibook power issues....AGAIN!!! 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    *sigh* ok, this is the third motherboard I've gone through in 4 months on this damn ibook. It's an ibook g3 600mhz 16vram. This is what I'm getting: I can't charge the battery, or run the computer off of a/c, but it runs fine off of battery power. I tried 2 different a/c adapters, nothing. Tested both with a multimeter, and both are outputting the correct voltages(24v). Removed the dc-in board from the mobo, and tested with both power supplies, and it's outputting the correct voltages as well. now here's the kicker: once I plug the dc-in board to the motherboard, and plug in the power supply, the voltage supplied drops to 0.1 volts across the board, even in the power supply. I'm assuming that there's a short or a bad component somewhere consuming a rediculous amount of voltage, or there's something in the psu that kills the power if it senses a short. I can't find any damaged components anywhere on the motherboard, I've tested all the fuses, and I'm gettin ready to sell this shit on ebay, cut my losses, and swear off macs forever. Any ideas?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    one bad ibook should not turn you off from macs. Has one bad PC turned you off from them?

now to fix the issue, try a different dc board. from what I understand this can fix issues a lot of times on ibooks. In all honesty you should have done some pre-purchase research, then you would have discovered that the g3 ibooks have extensive logic board problems. some people sick a heat gun on them or even put them in an oven for brief ammount of time; to get bad connctions solder to sink back in or re-merge. if you have gone through 3 boards and you have been using the same PS and DC board, I would think chances are that there is something wrong with one of those components.

As with a lot of computer problems you going to need to rely on the good ole trial and error method.

OR

sell everything you have for it on ebay and use the funds towards and intel purchase. You would be happy then. Even a g4 powerbook or ibook would be a better canidate. g3 ibooks are trouble makers.

actually I've never had a problem remotely like this with a pc. this is also the second dc-in board that I have used. I knew about all the logic board problems, but this wasn't one of them, at least not that I could find, and I still cannot find. I decided, f*ck it, and plugged it in and left it sitting for a few minutes, then came back and checked for heat. the two mosfets that look like they do most of the switching on the charging portion of the motherboard were EXTREMELY hot, like scalding, so I'm taking that as a sign of them munching the power. right now I'm just trying to decide if replacing them would be worth the trouble or if I should just sell it off on some poor soul on ebay.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    sell it and get a g4 ibook/powerbook or an intel.

since they released new macbooks you can get previous versions on sell.

well, I ordered the mosfets (if I can fix it for $6, at least temporarily, I can get more money out of it on ebay). I was looking at some powerbook g4's, found some good deals, but in my research on them, I've seen that a lot of them had overheating problems as well as logic board issues. do you know how extensive and widespread these issues were?

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Chris3d's Avatar
    urineanus, check ur pm's plz