Thread: A hopeful end to the PC vs Mac

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker bender123's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by julie
    thats cause theres 10,000 services running in the background, sucking up the resources. thats why i like macs... they have a "clean" OS... what you see running is whats basically running. even a "slow" mac (by intel/amd based system standards) is as fast as modern intel/amd rigs.... thats one of the reasons why macs hold their value for so long... less upgrading
    lol... way to exaggerate. The rest doesn't make sense, not to mention the fact Apples are using Intels now a days. Eitherway this shouldn't be a CPU battle.
    Bottom line is the PC or Mac is as fast as the user optimizes it. I keep the bare essentials on my Winblows and it does a fine job. Yes it sucks i can't remove explorer but o well...
    Quote Originally Posted by outsider
    Proof that OS X is very efficient:

Start-up times:

Dell 6400, Core 2 duo @ 2.0 ghz, 1 gig ram, 5400 rpm hdd, windows xp sp2 = 54.3 seconds

iBook G3, PPC G3 @ 800 MHz, 640 megs ram, 4200 rpm hdd, OS X 10.4.9 = 42.3 seconds

wow..

although my dell blasts the g3 away when it comes to mulitple process running at teh same time.
    Not really proof but ok....
    Please could you stop the noise, I'm trying get some rest
    From all the unborn chicken voices in my head
    What's that...? (I may be paranoid, but not an android)

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Chris3d's Avatar
    don't worry bender...we will assimilate you as well. Resistance is futile!

Oh...and it's not a CPU battle...it's a OS battle

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker bender123's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris3d

lol, I have 0 interest in buying a Mac. I see no point to it, but thanks for trying.
    Please could you stop the noise, I'm trying get some rest
    From all the unborn chicken voices in my head

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bender123
    lol... way to exaggerate. The rest doesn't make sense, not to mention the fact Apples are using Intels now a days. Eitherway this shouldn't be a CPU battle.
    Bottom line is the PC or Mac is as fast as the user optimizes it. I keep the bare essentials on my Winblows and it does a fine job.
    You have no idea what the hell you're talking about, as usual. This isn't a stupid CPU battle, it's a platform battle. Nobody said Apple wasn't using Intel CPU's, she was comparing an Intel Mac to an Intel PC. There IS no user optimization in Windows or Mac OS. There's no exaggeration there either.

Yes it sucks i can't remove explorer but o well...
    Wrong again. I use Litestep as my WindowsXP shell and I use an alternative file manager called Dolphin. Explorer doesn't even run as a background process, nor does it touch anything I do.

Not really proof but ok....
    What? Are you serious? Mac OS boots faster than WindowsXP on a system half as powerful, if you can't see that as proof that a Mac boots faster then I think computers just aren't your thing.

You should try not talking about stuff you have no clue about for a change.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP whitelamp's Avatar
    Is the vampire video card in the mini the same in the macbooks?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    not in the pros. The books as less dependent on the system memory for backup video RAM. All the macbooks now come with 1gb standard so it will no longer be any necessary to upgrade for high end tasks. Out of the box and ready to kick ass.

Quote Originally Posted by urineanus
    not in the pros. The books as less dependent on the system memory for backup video RAM. All the macbooks now come with 1gb standard so it will no longer be any necessary to upgrade for high end tasks. Out of the box and ready to kick ass.
    Yeah, and don't the MacBook Pro's come with 'real' video chipsets with dedicated mem?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    yes the pros have real video chipsets so you can render HD on the go.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker matrixsucks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkED
    Wrong again. I use Litestep as my WindowsXP shell and I use an alternative file manager called Dolphin. Explorer doesn't even run as a background process, nor does it touch anything I do.
    I just researched litestep, and it sounded really cool so I downloaded it. And, holy shit...it is sweet :0. I'm still in the trial stage, so I don't really know anything.

I'm probably going to check out dolphin later tonight.
    Today has been the most beautiful day I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by matrixsucks
    I just researched litestep, and it sounded really cool so I downloaded it. And, holy shit...it is sweet :0. I'm still in the trial stage, so I don't really know anything.

I'm probably going to check out dolphin later tonight.
    Don't bother with Dolphin, it's pretty old. I just use it because I like some of the more advanced features. There are probably other replacement filemanagers for Windows though.

For Litestep, the easiest way to install is to use the installer by Omar, not sure if you knew that. The latest version of the installer is like 3.2 or 3.1, not sure which. If you don't use the installer you're gonna have some major registry editing to do. So, use the installer Also try out some themes, one great theme in particular is the Mac OS X theme by joshhh. Shouldn't be hard to find. It's a great easy to use theme and it even comes with an OS X-like dock (it's part of the theme, not an external app like RK Launcher.)

Other notable replacement shells:

BBLean (Lean version of BlackBox for Windows.)
    --------------------------------------------------------------

This one owns. I used it extensively during it's development process, and even though it is no longer being developed, it's still one hell of a shell. Here's a snapshot of my personal BBLean install:

Modules are easy to find and many of them do some really neat things. My setup is pretty customized so you'd have to find some modules to get it setup like mine.

Sharp Environment (SharpE for short.)
    -------------------------------------------------

I used SharpE for a few months while I was in a transition. It had some bugs last time I used it but I hear they've been ironed out in recent releases. Here's a snapshot of my SharpE install:

It's always in development. Everything you see here is included (except for the uxtheme.dll shellstyle.)

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker matrixsucks's Avatar
    sweet stuff. Thanks for the info.
    Today has been the most beautiful day I've ever seen.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker dashneo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris3d View Post

well in the original post it was said that you could build a crappy computer and get a better macbook for just a little more pricewise so it's more of a hardware battle if anything. I say why not use linux? I bet it would run ok on that crappy computer you put together. normally if you wanted to build a PC you'd expect to pay lots of money for a really good one, if you wanted a cheap computer you'd just get one prebuilt.
    Quote Originally Posted by clwnz View Post
    I type with my dick, and you don't see me typing as shitty as you.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker seagrtj's Avatar
    You stumble on a 2.5 year old thread and decide to comment? to each his own...

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker dashneo's Avatar
    haha I did not realize it was that old, I just saw it on the first page and commented on it
    sorry for that
    Quote Originally Posted by clwnz View Post
    I type with my dick, and you don't see me typing as shitty as you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12