Thread: A hopeful end to the PC vs Mac

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 A hopeful end to the PC vs Mac 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    So I decided to take it upon myself to build a PC over at newegg that has the same hardware specifications as my mini, so we can compare the price. Hopefully this will stop some of the whole "but a Mac is more expensive" crap.

Keep in mind I used the cheapest components available that met the qualifications. I used vista ultimate, because it is the closest windows version to OS X. The price is $529 before shipping. I used the cheapest and probably crappiest components. The case is butt ugly and the MB is way cheap. This system would probably be doomed to fail, and as mentioned is really ugly.

My mac retailed for $799. Way better hardware and aesthetics. Far superior wireless/blue tooth capabilities and range. Came with remote for front row (media center), and it is 10 times smaller.

This is just one match up of mac hardware compared to PC counterpart hardware. I used the cheapest stuff and there is only a $270 difference, before shipping.

I don't fell like doing multiple head to heads if anyone else would like to be my guest.

$529 for a ugly PC with cheap ass hardware or $279 more for the s3xy mac with everything ready to go out of the box in a sleek package. Don't forget the mac can run a fully functioning install of windows, I cannot reiterate that enough. Making a hackintosh out of this hypothetical PC would never happen. The hardware would not be supported.

Of course this is a BYO setup, a tower from a retailer would be more.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP 808psp's Avatar
    I like that...finally the truth is known
    success comes one step at a time

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker outsider's Avatar
    well said.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    just so you know, that hdd is 7200 rpm, and your mini's is 5400 rpm, so technically, this pc would still be faster. and your superdrive is an 8x, not 16x. if you want a better comparison, lower it to a 5400rpm drive and 8x dvd-rw, which will also lower the price.

windows soaks up more system resources than OS X.

hypothetically you can have a 1ghz mac performing functions as fast as a 1.8ghz windows PC.

I used the cheapest components that fit the stipulations.

1.8ghz core duo
    80gb HD (mini uses SATA, this PC uses IDE)
    1.25ghz RAM
    super drive
    wireless
    blue tooth

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    interesting, but will the mac mini play games well? thats what really matters to me
    R.I.P Zoidberg

thats what I used to play games in windows. bump the ram from 512 to 1gb or more to compensate for the vampire video for best results.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    the hardware is what makes the computer, not the OS. That PC you spec'd out IS faster than the mac mini. People keep forgetting that you can run OS X on any x86 hardware. In fact, you could run gentoo with beryl, and not only be better looking than OS X, but probably faster as well. The PC itself is faster and cheaper, end of story.

We're over looking the upgradability factor. With the mini all you can upgrade is the ram and the cpu and teh drive, so when it comes to gaming youll still be limited by teh video card no matter how much you upgrade the other parts making teh upgrades pretty useless at a certain point

a Hackintosh has piss poor support, and OS X will not function 100% on just any PC hardware. Ya the mini has on board vampire video, but gaming is for PCs anyways. Add a gig of RAM and you are good to go graphics wise. Even when I had 512 installed it played halo, GTA: VC, and far cry in windows fine with the video eating off the RAM.

Also lets not overlook the crappy crappy hardware this hypothetical PC is composed of. The intel CPU is about the only thing worth a damn. This computer would not last long, and there is a high probability that some pieces may be DOA. Newegg does have great customer service and will take returns/exchanges, but its still a hassle.

I am all about the hackintosh scene, but this clunker would be a no go.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Chris3d's Avatar
    Well...in my own experience, I have been using just OSX on my MBP for some time now, and decided to boot in to vista (using it now) to install any updates there may be....

My first thought when I got it up and running....Damn this is slow...and this was on a Macbook Pro 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM.....that says alot

thats cause theres 10,000 services running in the background, sucking up the resources. thats why i like macs... they have a "clean" OS... what you see running is whats basically running. even a "slow" mac (by intel/amd based system standards) is as fast as modern intel/amd rigs.... thats one of the reasons why macs hold their value for so long... less upgrading
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Chris3d's Avatar
    I've gotta quote an entire post to reply to that....

Quote Originally Posted by urineanus
    Damn,

look who's trash talking windows now. We got her hooked.
    ...how true, how true

@ Julie: I think you can remove the "Future" from your sig....LMAO

Proof that OS X is very efficient:

Start-up times:

Dell 6400, Core 2 duo @ 2.0 ghz, 1 gig ram, 5400 rpm hdd, windows xp sp2 = 54.3 seconds

iBook G3, PPC G3 @ 800 MHz, 640 megs ram, 4200 rpm hdd, OS X 10.4.9 = 42.3 seconds

wow..

although my dell blasts the g3 away when it comes to mulitple process running at teh same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris3d
    @ Julie: I think you can remove the "Future" from your sig....LMAO
    well i cant, since i dont own a mac yet. ive just played with one recently
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast